E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Ignition Coil sleeve is ripped, problem?

03-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
e90drvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Graphite/Terra 330i

Ignition Coil sleeve is ripped, problem?

hey everyone,

I had my #5 spark plug shoot out of the head last friday at 3am because it was misthreaded 20,000 miles ago. I've been dealing with the repercussions since then. I'm using a HeliCoil kit to repair the plug port tomorrow. In the meantime, I was wondering how significant this damage is to the ignition coil. The coil got damaged when it and the plug were forced up after the threads gave out on the port. Only the the silicone covering shown in the picture has been ripped off. Other than the coil is fine. Does this covering do anything significant? Will the coil function as normal when I install it again tomorrow?

Damaged ignition coil:

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

I've seen cars where four or five coils looked like that and they still ran fine. If you want you can put some e-tape or silicone tape around the affected area.

Personally if the spark plug had blown out of the head I would go ahead and replace that coil. They're only 50 bucks.
      03-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
e90drvr
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: Graphite/Terra 330i

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and reused the coil for now. It seems to working fine. I'l probably end up replacing it soon tho. I actually got a great deal last time at Dave's Discount Auto Parts, $25 a pop.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Drives: BMW 330i 06

The rubber is important. Good news is that it can be ordered separately for something like $5.
Appreciate 0