E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Tipping in the US

03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
zltm089
Major General

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Fair enough, if they get below minimum wage, I would tip them if they provide a good service.

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom
      03-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 911 Turbo

Doesnt the term 'minimum wage' indicate that they should be paid a 'minimum' amount??

In the UK minium wage is just that -the lowest a person can be paid depending on their age etc? If a company here pays less then this they are breaking the law - isnt that the same in the US?

(More of an 'understanding' point here then an inflamatory one)
      03-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
plarkin
Private

Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Doesnt the term 'minimum wage' indicate that they should be paid a 'minimum' amount??

In the UK minium wage is just that -the lowest a person can be paid depending on their age etc? If a company here pays less then this they are breaking the law - isnt that the same in the US?

(More of an 'understanding' point here then an inflamatory one)
Nope. There are certain positions where an employee can be paid under minimum wage. In most states in the US, wait staff fall into this category. I'm not sure about things such as valet or bellhops.

Here's a good link from the US Dept of Labor that details the minimum wage requirements for "tipped employees"; http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr. So if you go to a restaurant, spend an hour with friends and family eating, the employee there gets a whopping $2.13. Many states have wages above the $2.13 mark, but they still fall well under federal minimum wage for non-tipped employees.
      03-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
plarkin
Private

Drives: 2008 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335 XI  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Fair enough, if they get below minimum wage, I would tip them if they provide a good service.
I usually tip no matter what. But the degree in which I tip varies on service. If the service is truly horrible AND the fault of the server (not the kitchen) that will be reflected harshly in the tip. IE: whatever it takes me to round the bill to the nearest dollar.

Another thing to remember; if you have a large party and the tip is NOT automatically included, you are only expected to tip on the cost of the meal itself, not the taxes.
      03-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarkin View Post
The federal minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13/hr. So if you go to a restaurant, spend an hour with friends and family eating, the employee there gets a whopping $2.13.
      03-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
mrbillytalent
Lieutenant

Drives: '99 e46 323i & '07 e90 335i

I personally have been waiting tables since '09 paying my way through college. Every restaurant is a little different, but we honestly do make <$4/hr on most occasions. A 15% tip will in most cases put us in line with minimum wage workers, if our job is 'easy'

Ofter times the job because extremely stressful and I feel I'm worth a little more than $7 and change an hour. I personally think:
15% if you did indeed get food
18% if it was pleasant
20% if think the job was done exceptionally.

Personal experience: A group of 'folk' came in and rung up $120 bill with drinks and steaks and what not. Before leaving they asked if we took foodstamps, to which I said no and they replied "oh haha I was just kidding." Their bill was paid and they left $0 tip.

Let's do some math. In my situation the waiter pays a 4% cash out on all SALES (regardless of tips) to the bussers, bar tender, and host.
4% of $120 = -$4.80 (money spent on tipshare)
Wage for 2 hours (at the time, for a tipped employee) $3.13 x2 = $6.26

Leaves me with having made $1.46 in two hours, or ~73 cents an hour. Mind you had at least one other table who tipped me so I made a bit more than that, but consider this before you don't tip. It's not something Americans 'think they deserve,' it literally pays our rent.

And in most cases drug money. A lot of waiters and waitresses love drugs. Myself not included.
      03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
mrbillytalent
Lieutenant

Drives: '99 e46 323i & '07 e90 335i

EDIT: Not '09, I started in '06. 7+ yrs of this crap
      03-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #30
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel

im stunned the minimum wage is so low!!

How the hell they can call that a 'wage' in any sense of the word is unbelievable.
      03-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #31
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Merc SLS AMG & ML63 AMG

This is insightful and very useful. As I stated, I am happy to pay tips as my understanding of the States is exactly as being described by our US visitors to this thread - the wages for these jobs is appalling.

Is it my problem that these businesses don't pay a decent salary to their employees? No, probably not, but it's fair to say us Brits generally get good 'value' when we go over there (currency fluctuations excepted) so whats the problem paying a fair tip if it's the typically thing to do? Someone suggested that businesses just put their prices up and do away with tipping....but how does this change anything to the customer except possibly encourage poorer service, a la UK?

Talking of the service quality over here, I reckon the attitude of many 'customers' encourages (and deserves) poor service because, in general, the public tend to see themselves as a 'cut above' their waiters! In fact, I tend to tip generously over here (add 10%, then round up to the nearest 5) as long as I've had decent enough service. It's rarely what I'd call exceptional service over here but I find that if you're polite, friendly and interact with your server in a positive manner you will get good service.
Previous: '14 BMW M3 | '13 BMW M6 Comp Pack | '11 Merc SLS AMG | '12 Jag XKR-S | '11 Range Rover Sport TDV6 | '10 Jag XFR | '11 BMW M3 DCT | '08 Maserati Granturismo S | '10 Porsche 911 Turbo | '10 Merc C63 AMG PPP | '09 Merc C63 AMG PP | '06 BMW M6 | '08 BMW M3 | '07 BMW 335i | '04 Alfa 147 GTA + Many others
Palmnuts is offline   United Kingdom
      03-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel

Growing trend here is for 12.5% to be included as a service charge on the bill as standard.

Have one time where we chose not to pay it the waitress brought us oevr irish coffee cold! When we pointed this out she said 'thats how we serve it here' .... so we returned it - and they made us still pay for it.

So we deducted the 12.5% - and they said they couldnt take it off the bill! Hence it wasnt really a service charge at all!
      03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #33
djgandy
Major

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCUK View Post
Growing trend here is for 12.5% to be included as a service charge on the bill as standard.

Have one time where we chose not to pay it the waitress brought us oevr irish coffee cold! When we pointed this out she said 'thats how we serve it here' .... so we returned it - and they made us still pay for it.

So we deducted the 12.5% - and they said they couldnt take it off the bill! Hence it wasnt really a service charge at all!
You can usually take it off unless it says it is compulsory in the menu or on the door, sounds like they were just trying their luck.

I really hate paying tips here. The service is rarely good at the run of the mill restaurants. I'll tip cash, often ~10% if the waiter/ress is polite and attentive but that is at my discretion.

The one that annoys me most is the 12.5% service surcharge for large groups. You think you are doing these companies a favor by eating in their restaurants?! That's like a Groupbuy costing more than ordering on your own!
The restaurants think ~30 is a reasonable surcharge to have 8 plates carried and a few bottles of wine thrown on your table.