E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > WTF? Can't use lower case letters when entering an address?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

WTF? Can't use lower case letters when entering an address?

...very anal, but i hate looking at address names in the nav window what are all cap...am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
bimmerfrk
Second Lieutenant
bimmerfrk's Avatar
16
Rep
219
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 4dr
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC & some PA

iTrader: (0)

solution- Stop being anal, relax, and be happy. It will further your health and enable a longer life span.
__________________
2011 M3 Sedan : Alpine White / Fox Interior : Escort X50 Hardwired
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Delusive
Major
Delusive's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,487
Posts

Drives: Static E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (8)



+1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
318
Rep
11,777
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Oh dear lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
Tom K.'s Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
5,468
Posts

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
...very anal, but i hate looking at address names in the nav window what are all cap...am i missing something?
Not only that, but there's no option to change the font!!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
trk06
Lieutenant
trk06's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: with no spare
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
...very anal, but i hate looking at address names in the nav window what are all cap...am i missing something?
Dr. appointment
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

...you guys are killing me!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

IT LOOKS LIKE MY NAVIGATION SYSTEM IS YELLING AT ME!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
trk06
Lieutenant
trk06's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: with no spare
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
IT LOOKS LIKE MY NAVIGATION SYSTEM IS YELLING AT ME!!!
Don't take it personal. It's German
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
318
Rep
11,777
Posts

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Good sport. I like this fella!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
BOBKUR
Major
15
Rep
1,360
Posts

Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

Wait Until It Is In German, Achtung!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
1chanc3
Major
64
Rep
1,101
Posts

Drives: 2010 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
...very anal, but i hate looking at address names in the nav window what are all cap...am i missing something?
Jokes aside, I think there's actually a logical reason why a lot of car manufacturer's (in addition to other industries) use all caps. Better and easier differentiation between letters and numbers- easier to read. There's been tons of studies on quick glancing/reading with uppercase letters mixed with lowercase vs only uppercase vs only lower case, and if my memory services me correctly, more people were able to read clearer with all uppercase...
__________________
2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
Carl64
Private
Carl64's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Jokes aside, I think there's actually a logical reason why a lot of car manufacturer's (in addition to other industries) use all caps. Better and easier differentiation between letters and numbers- easier to read. There's been tons of studies on quick glancing/reading with uppercase letters mixed with lowercase vs only uppercase vs only lower case, and if my memory services me correctly, more people were able to read clearer with all uppercase...


I've done a fair bit of UI design and capital letters are much easier to read/distinguish at a glance, especially from a distance. See Microsoft's new UI's for examples...

People always complain about it though. Always.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl64 View Post


I've done a fair bit of UI design and capital letters are much easier to read/distinguish at a glance, especially from a distance. See Microsoft's new UI's for examples...

People always complain about it though. Always.
...well, so far in my infant Bimmer journey i have so little to complain about...

...guess i'll have to de-analize...MACARTHUR just doesn't look right compared to MacArthur

...ergo influence makes sense...thx for the feedback

Last edited by Kwik E Mart; 03-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
1chanc3
Major
64
Rep
1,101
Posts

Drives: 2010 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
...well, so far in my infant Bimmer journey i have so little to complain about...

...guess i'll have to de-analize...MACARTHUR just doesn't look right compared to MacArthur

...ergo influence makes sense...thx for the feedback

If it was a mix of uppercase and lowercase, you'd wish it was all uppercase because then you wouldn't be able to read some texts at a glance and then be all OCD about that...
__________________
2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
If it was a mix of uppercase and lowercase, you'd wish it was all uppercase because then you wouldn't be able to read some texts at a glance and then be all OCD about that...
...yes, thank goodness for german engineering! saving me big bucks in thearpy bills!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
swazza
Samm
swazza's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: BMW E91 320I
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

I thought it was just me but everyone else has angry Nav's
__________________
2008 Bmw E91 alpine White (current)
2005 Bmw 325i (sold)
2006 Land Rover discovery 3 HSE (sold)
2002 Bmw 318i M-Sport (first car) (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
pcamera123
Private
United_States
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

You can change the font i think its the up button its one of those directions. Use the trial and error method.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #19
ppatel223
Banned
9
Rep
374
Posts

Drives: F10 I3.0
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: AR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
Jokes aside, I think there's actually a logical reason why a lot of car manufacturer's (in addition to other industries) use all caps. Better and easier differentiation between letters and numbers- easier to read. There's been tons of studies on quick glancing/reading with uppercase letters mixed with lowercase vs only uppercase vs only lower case, and if my memory services me correctly, more people were able to read clearer with all uppercase...
Usually BIGGER is better. She thinks so too.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST