E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Lsd costs? Rear diff bushings?

03-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
3-Serious
Lieutenant

Drives: AP e92 335i

Lsd costs? Rear diff bushings?

Im curious to know what others paid to have LSD installed? Also chime in if you added any kind of diff bushings. Spring is almost here and I want to be able to enjoy the drag strip this year. But after hearing half shafts horror stories I believe some sort of diff bushing kit is a must. So I would like to hear about people's experiences with lsd cost and if they have a rear diff bushing kit . Thank you.
      03-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Randomaccess335
Captain

Drives: 07' 335I

I wanna hear the answers to ur questions as well, but I think people are breaking half shafts just as much with LSD compared to stock. Maybe wrong, I usually am according to my wife, but I don't think it's that common.
R

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
      03-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Diff lock down kit is probably the most advantageous thing to spare the axles. LSD is a nice modification to keep consistency and driver feel. Although there are theories to suggest that it keeps the same amount of torque to both axles, which is partially true, the biggest problem with the axles is any shock in general, I.E. Wheel hop and other abusive launching. Generally, spinning tire freely is less abusive then hooking up with a large shock to the drivetrain. An LSD will give you more traction in theory, and will apply more torque to the drivetrain as it's not going up in tire smoke. That's why I dont think LSD is the only answer to stop half shafts from breaking.

A diff lock down kit, coupled with LSD, and upgraded axles should make for a strong rear end.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Jeef
Captain

Drives: AW E92 335i

What diff are you looking at? Also you could probably do the install yourself? save you some money!
Jeef is offline   United_States
      03-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
joec500
Brigadier General

Drives: it has 4 wheels

I paid 300ish for the diff install, and another 300ish for the diff bushings, but I did them at different times, my guess is that it would have been closer to $400 total if I did both together.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
      03-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
3-Serious
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I paid 300ish for the diff install, and another 300ish for the diff bushings, but I did them at different times, my guess is that it would have been closer to $400 total if I did both together.
Was it 300 for the install of the diff because you had the pumpkin with the diff already installed or 300 and they put the LSD into your existing pumpkin? What was your total cost for LSD and install when it was all said and done?
      03-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
3-Serious
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Diff lock down kit is probably the most advantageous thing to spare the axles. LSD is a nice modification to keep consistency and driver feel. Although there are theories to suggest that it keeps the same amount of torque to both axles, which is partially true, the biggest problem with the axles is any shock in general, I.E. Wheel hop and other abusive launching. Generally, spinning tire freely is less abusive then hooking up with a large shock to the drivetrain. An LSD will give you more traction in theory, and will apply more torque to the drivetrain as it's not going up in tire smoke. That's why I dont think LSD is the only answer to stop half shafts from breaking.

A diff lock down kit, coupled with LSD, and upgraded axles should make for a strong rear end.
Gotcha! thanks Jeff I will defiantly incorporate some sort of diff bushing kit, I don't know if I think the lock down kit is worth it. It being 700 dollars and all sounds steep for 4 solid bushings and fabbed up bracket. But If I cant get a shop to make me a similar set up I will bite the bullet and get it.
      03-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
Gotcha! thanks Jeff I will defiantly incorporate some sort of diff bushing kit, I don't know if I think the lock down kit is worth it. It being 700 dollars and all sounds steep for 4 solid bushings and fabbed up bracket. But If I cant get a shop to make me a similar set up I will bite the bullet and get it.
I agree. You may be better off rolling the dice and waiting for something to break. If you are not an abusive driver you are generally(and I say this hesitantly), OK.

Any machine that gets used and abused will eventually break.

If you launching a lot, racing, hitting the drag strip, or experiencing any wheel hop, you are playing with the devil.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      03-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
3-Serious
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I agree. You may be better off rolling the dice and waiting for something to break. If you are not an abusive driver you are generally(and I say this hesitantly), OK.

Any machine that gets used and abused will eventually break.

If you launching a lot, racing, hitting the drag strip, or experiencing any wheel hop, you are playing with the devil.
Ill deff be at the strip a good amount this summer but I dont abuse the car from low rolls or stops usually. From 40mph up I cant say I take it easy on her. Like I said I may just bite the bullet and get the lock down just so I have a little more reassurance.
      03-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
335okc
Captain

Drives: e90 335

I'm so jealous of californians where you can find a good BMW shop that does things cheaply.
I'm calling around the whole state of Oklahoma to see who can tackle diff swap, nobody is willing to take a risk. i might have to go to Texas.
      03-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
uniter
Black on Black on Black.

Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

Turner's solid bushings are 200$ for the three bushings.

The lockdown kit includes a fourth bushing, a diff bracket and double heim joint arm. Not to mention aerospace grade fasteners & hardware. Top-quality overkill components and american made.

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
      03-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
uniter
Black on Black on Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
I'm so jealous of californians where you can find a good BMW shop that does things cheaply.
I'm calling around the whole state of Oklahoma to see who can tackle diff swap, nobody is willing to take a risk. i might have to go to Texas.
Check with Dan @ Diffsonline. You'll either have to make a deposit or wait a while with some downtime. He had a very good price for doing it and was willing to use my parts.

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
      03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
3-Serious
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter View Post
Turner's solid bushings are 200$ for the three bushings.

The lockdown kit includes a fourth bushing, a diff bracket and double heim joint arm. Not to mention aerospace grade fasteners & hardware. Top-quality overkill components and american made.
So are you saying its worth it? And I wonder if its possible to just buy the bracket and then order the solid bushings separate from turner.
      03-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
uniter
Black on Black on Black.

There was talk about an option for people who already had them but I think it's cheaper to order the whole kit...

03-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #15
joec500
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
Was it 300 for the install of the diff because you had the pumpkin with the diff already installed or 300 and they put the LSD into your existing pumpkin? What was your total cost for LSD and install when it was all said and done?
I need to pull my paperwork, but it wasn't cheap.

I had a separate shop install the diff into the housing, I want to say that was another 200-300 bucks.

550ish for the entire diff labor.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
      03-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
cvc 22349a
Colonel

Drives: 335i

Quote:
I need to pull my paperwork, but it wasn't cheap.

I had a separate shop install the diff into the housing, I want to say that was another 200-300 bucks.

550ish for the entire diff labor.
Can you pls pm me where you had the diff bushings installed and how much?
      03-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
Sniz
Lieutenant General

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

you guys can DIY this you know.....assuming you have some skills and a few tools.

Here is what I did on mine to remove the old bushings, worked like a charm. Assuming the e9x diff is pretty similar.

I went back with all stock rubber bushings but have this hunk of metal keeping it all solidly in place once against the subframe.

03-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
robc1976
DIYER

Drives: E90 335i

Here is a DIY I did for the "lock down differential kit"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806041
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, Meyle HD tie-rods, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport coilovers, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
      03-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
3-Serious
Lieutenant

Welp just ordered the Lock Down kit! After doing a bunch of research on it I figured I might as well. Next week Ill try and make an appointment with VAC to get this and Quafie LSD installed. Thanks for all the input everyone!
      03-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT

I'm a complete Noob with this, but wouldn't the solid bushings essentially cause more shock loading on the gearset in the diff (or clutches if qoing for the clutch type) thus potentially shortening the life of the diff?

I'm thinking with the rubber oem items, they would act as a 'dampener' for the initially shock/vibration transmitted under WOT?
      03-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #21
joec500
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I'm a complete Noob with this, but wouldn't the solid bushings essentially cause more shock loading on the gearset in the diff (or clutches if qoing for the clutch type) thus potentially shortening the life of the diff?

I'm thinking with the rubber oem items, they would act as a 'dampener' for the initially shock/vibration transmitted under WOT?
no. since the solid diff bushings essentially make the subframe and diff as one unit, it maintains the geometry of the suspension and driveline (half shafts and driveshafts) where as the squishy bushings changes all the geometry and allows independent movement of all these items thus causing some nasty broken things.
      03-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #22
robc1976
DIYER

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
no. since the solid diff bushings essentially make the subframe and diff as one unit, it maintains the geometry of the suspension and driveline (half shafts and driveshafts) where as the squishy bushings changes all the geometry and allows independent movement of all these items thus causing some nasty broken things.
+1
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, Meyle HD tie-rods, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport coilovers, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295