E90Post

200MPH

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d annual check-up question

03-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Faster Faster
Devilish Member

Drives: 997 GT3, 335d M-Sport

Question 335d annual check-up question

Hi, I had my 335d at Russel BMW in Baltimore MD today for the annual check up. It's been only 6,200 miles since the service Classic BMW did when I purchased the car a year ago. They did not do an oil change today claiming it was not due (due to the low mileage since the last one) and they did not top off the DEF either. They did, however, replace the windshield wipers which I insisted were perfectly fine.

BTW, the BMW 2011 Service and Warranty information says clearly on page #10 in boldface: Note: change oil at least once a year. How does that add up? They offered to do an oil change if I wanted to pay for it.

Since I was in a hurry when I picked the car up, they didn't give it a car wash either.

What's y'all's experience with the BMW service included for the first 4 years? I wasn't too happy today...

Last edited by Faster Faster; 03-19-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spellign
Faster Faster is offline   Germany
      03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
FormerRotor
Major

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Did they reset your service indicator? If not, I'd take it to another dealer; this should be performed as lo as it is showing as due because of the date in the OBC.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
      03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
dzlmoose
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I bought my d in August of 2012 and the dealer had just done an Oil Change before I picked up the car. Since then I have had 2 Oil changes done by the dealer, they said that the car needed it.

I have only put on 15,000 KM (9,320 miles) in that time. I drive my car pretty hard too so one of the SAs told me that the frequency of the oil change is dependent also on how you drive the car. (I don't know if this is valid or not)
dzlmoose is offline   Egypt
      03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
pweber84
Banned

Drives: BMW 330d e91

Send a message via Skype™ to pweber84
The interval of oil changing depends from your driving style, if you burn more fuel, your car will recalculate this and change the distance to the next oil change.

Generally in M57/N57 everyone should change the oil every year or 10 000 miles - not more! It's important if you want to keep your injectors and turbo charger in good condition.
pweber84 is offline   Germany
      03-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
ddeliber
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******84 View Post
The interval of oil changing depends from your driving style, if you burn more fuel, your car will recalculate this and change the distance to the next oil change.

Generally in M57/N57 everyone should change the oil every year or 10 000 miles - not more! It's important if you want to keep your injectors and turbo charger in good condition.
What do you mean by "not more"? I recently bought my 335d and I was planning on doing a mid year oil change (around 7k mi). this is just based on what I read here. Are diesels significantly different in terms of OCI as compared to a 335i?
      03-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
pweber84
Banned

Drives: BMW 330d e91

Send a message via Skype™ to pweber84
I mean - no longer, It doesn't make sense to do what Board Computer says. The oil changing intervals are too long / IMO should be twice shorter.

I don't know what your dealer in USA recommended but in Europe I can drive my car almost 20k miles with no oil changes. It's ridiculous, I'm doing it once a year or after 10k miles, but my engine is M57 3.0d only one turbo charger, so I assume that in 35d you have to do it more often.
pweber84 is offline   Germany
      03-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
GreekboyD
Colonel

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
I do two oil changes a year with one in April and one in October.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
      03-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Faster Faster
Devilish Member

That's all good info, thanks! In the end I may be doing my own oil change just so it's getting done. But perhaps I need to re-phrase the issue / question:

The issue is that the dealer refused to do an oil change for free (which is included in the service package of the vehicle for the first 4 years / 50k miles here in the US) claiming that it's not due yet since it's only been 6k miles since the last oil change. It has, however, been 1 year since the last oil change. The 2011 3-series service manual clearly says on page #10 that the oil should be changed at least once a year. On those grounds I believe the dealer must replace the oil for free.

With that being said, the question is if any of you 335d drivers out there has gotten an oil change by your dealer for free as part of the first 4 years / 50k miles free service package even though the car did not indicate that an oil change was due?

Cheers!
      03-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
GreekboyD
Colonel

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
I got two oil changes out of them when it technically wasn't required.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
      03-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster Faster
That's all good info, thanks! In the end I may be doing my own oil change just so it's getting done. But perhaps I need to re-phrase the issue / question:

The issue is that the dealer refused to do an oil change for free (which is included in the service package of the vehicle for the first 4 years / 50k miles here in the US) claiming that it's not due yet since it's only been 6k miles since the last oil change. It has, however, been 1 year since the last oil change. The 2011 3-series service manual clearly says on page #10 that the oil should be changed at least once a year. On those grounds I believe the dealer must replace the oil for free.

With that being said, the question is if any of you 335d drivers out there has gotten an oil change by your dealer for free as part of the first 4 years / 50k miles free service package even though the car did not indicate that an oil change was due?

Cheers!
My first oil change was on month 11 (can do one month early) not on mileage. Free. Was called for by CBS though
      03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Faster Faster
Devilish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Was called for by CBS though
Good point... My CBS isn't calling for it. I think I was able to read off of one of the dealer's work sheets that it's calling for it in 8k miles from now. Which at my current annual mileage will be in over a year from now.

The 2100 3-Series Service and Warranty booklet says on page 10:

Special Note

The maintenance requirements for your vehicle
are determined dynamically by the Condition
Based Service (CBS) system. The maintenance
items stated herein reflect the latest information
available at the time of the printing of this
Booklet, and are subject to change. The most
current maintenance recommendations are
available from your authorized BMW center.
The performance of certain subsequent
maintenance items or services, as required by
the BMW New Vehicle LimitedWarranty, will be
specified at intervals computed by the BMW
Service Interval Indicator as follows:

--> Oil Service: Engine oil should be changed with
the engine at operating temperature.
Note: Change oil at least once a year.

All 2011 model year 1, 3 (except 335d see
below), 5 Series and Z4 vehicles are factory-filled
with BMW High Performance Synthetic oils.
We recommend BMW High Performance 5W-30
Synthetic Oil (BMW part number
07 51 0 017 866) for regular scheduled engine oil
changes.

The 2011 model year 335d is factory-filled with
BMW High Performance Synthetic oil.
We recommend BMW High Performance 5W-30
Diesel Synthetic Oil (BMW part number
07 51 0 037 195) for regular scheduled engine oil
changes."

For me it's clear that "change oil at least once a year" means to change it regardless of mileage or CBS.
      03-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
ddeliber
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster Faster View Post
Good point... My CBS isn't calling for it. I think I was able to read off of one of the dealer's work sheets that it's calling for it in 8k miles from now. Which at my current annual mileage will be in over a year from now.

For me it's clear that "change oil at least once a year" means to change it regardless of mileage or CBS.
Did your dealer reset the oil change interval in the computer? If so, that would certainly explain why it says due in 8k mi.

Pretty weak (by the dealer) if you ask me.

You might also want to check (I am not sure how though) if they submitted it for a full service - in other words did they get paid by BMW for the oil change.
      03-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Faster Faster
Devilish Member

I think the dealer did not reset the computer. They are now checking if BMW will eat the cost of a "low mileage" oil change. I do insist since BMW's recommendation is at least once a year according to their service manual.

Thanks everyone for your enlightening replies!
      06-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
OmahaDZL

Drives: 2010 335D

Hey Guys,
I havent found (though I cant imagine it doesnt exist) a thread about which oil to you for DIY oil changes. Previously I have used Mobil 1 synth 5w-30 in my old M3 and my S4....but I read here that I should use a "diesel synthetic" on the 335d.

Whats the consensus as to readily available, acceptable oils and weights?
      06-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Hey Guys,
I havent found (though I cant imagine it doesnt exist) a thread about which oil to you for DIY oil changes. Previously I have used Mobil 1 synth 5w-30 in my old M3 and my S4....but I read here that I should use a "diesel synthetic" on the 335d.

There is a thread or two from several months back, but I can't take time to find it. So I will say that, unless you are a serious penny pincher, it's not that much more to just buy the LL-04 rated oil at your nearest BMW dealer. I don't know if the BMWCCA discount applies to oil or not, but that's another thought.
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Michelin PSS tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
335dFan is offline   United_States
      06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant

Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:

Please RTFM the next time you have a question like this, as the answer is there.

Our 335d/X5d take a BMW LL-04 oil. There aren't a lot around. O'Reilly's carrys Pentosin. I hear Pep Boys carries something. The BMW Castrol SLX Professional LL-04 is at BMW and independents. Total Quartz INEO, Motul, and Mobil 1 Low Emission Formula are available. There's a Pennzoil also available. Look at: http://www.europeancarweb.com/news/e...s/viewall.html

Be sure to look for BMW LL-04. It's ACEA specification is A3/B3/C3, which is a good backup to look for. The BMW spec restricts oil weights to 0W-40, 5W-30 or 5W-40.

Note that Royal Purple and Amsoil have oils they say are good for us, however they are not CERTIFIED LL-04, so who knows. YMMV.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
      06-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
OmahaDZL

Drives: 2010 335D

Thanks for the replies guys. I did search the forums but hit so damn many false positives that i gave up.

What weight are you running?
      06-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant

Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I did search the forums but hit so damn many false positives that i gave up.

What weight are you running?
Asking about "weight" is not a question that you should be thinking about. As I said, the LL-04 spec (and LL-01) severely restricts the weights available. Almost everyone is running 5W-30, since that's the OEM and also what most of the available oils are.

There's a very good thread on bimmerfest about sampling and intervals: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=475850

If you REALLY want to know about oils and why weight is a non-interesting question, go to bobistheoilguy.com and read a bunch. A good place to start is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
floydarogers is offline   United_States