E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Lower Control Arm Bushings Leaking



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
LinxuS
First Lieutenant
LinxuS's Avatar
11
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [4.64]
Lower Control Arm Bushings Leaking

Hey all,

Took my bimmer to my local shop for some maintenance and found out that my lower control arm bushings are leaking and have a couple questions before I fix them up.

My car is at about 65k miles, with about 10k miles on H&R Sports on stock suspension. I was reading that typically the upper control arm bushings go out... has anyone heard of the lower control arm bushings going out?

Also I was talking with a mechanic who recommended just to replace the whole control arms while I'm at it. He said to stick with stock, but I might check out one of the "HD" upgrades (Meyle or HPAShops). Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited by LinxuS; 03-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS View Post
Hey all,

Took my bimmer to my local shop for some maintenance and found out that my lower control arm bushings are leaking and have a couple questions before I fix them up.

My car is at about 65k miles, with about 10k miles on H&R Sports on stock suspension. I was reading that typically the upper control arm bushings go out... has anyone heard of the lower control arm bushings going out?

Also I was talking with a mechanic who recommended just to replace the whole control arms while I'm at it. He said to stick with stock, but I might check out one of the "HD" upgrades (Meyle or HPAShops). Any recommendations?

Thanks!
OE is okay, but liquid filled. HD Meyle is full rubber and will have a much longer service life.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Im currently in the process of upgrading my control arms also... I think Im gonna upgrade to the OEM M3 upper and lower control arms from turner, tischer, or even ECS.

Have you upgraded since you originally posted?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
LinxuS
First Lieutenant
LinxuS's Avatar
11
Rep
389
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [4.64]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_LA View Post
Im currently in the process of upgrading my control arms also... I think Im gonna upgrade to the OEM M3 upper and lower control arms from turner, tischer, or even ECS.

Have you upgraded since you originally posted?
I was thinking the same thing, but not yet. Going to a shop this Sunday to get some quotes.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
solishe
Lieutenant
8
Rep
461
Posts

 
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
Look into the OE TRW arm set from ECS or Turner as well. Pretty much M3 arms with the "M" scratched off. Saves you $200ish which pays for the install :-)

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/Suspension/ES2586480/

They also have a kit that includes the replacement nuts/bolts which is recommended when changing these arms.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solishe
Look into the OE TRW arm set from ECS or Turner as well. Pretty much M3 arms with the "M" scratched off. Saves you $200ish which pays for the install :-)

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/Suspension/ES2586480/

They also have a kit that includes the replacement nuts/bolts which is recommended when changing these arms.
I was wondering the difference between the two, OEM always sounds like a better option.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
solishe
Lieutenant
8
Rep
461
Posts

 
Drives: 09 Spc Grey Met e90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fort Worth TX

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
There have been several threads on this. Different schools of thought but the vendors and many folks say its all the same. I, and many others, have them and they are great. Just boils down to whether one is cool with paying the extra $200 for the visible "M" and knowing its OEM (even though both are the exact same arm by same manufacturer).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solishe View Post
There have been several threads on this. Different schools of thought but the vendors and many folks say its all the same. I, and many others, have them and they are great. Just boils to whether one is cool with paying the extra $200 for the visible "M" and knowing its OEM (even though both are the exact same arm by same manufacturer).
you really shed some light on a $200 decision, thanks.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST