E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Broke Strut Screw



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Broke Strut Screw

Damn I'm an idiot. I never worked on a car in my life and after reading the DIY I attempted to do it myself because I'm frugal and don't want to pay someone else to install a Strut Bar.

There is a screw that sticks up and you put a nut on it. I screwed that nut too hard and broke the screw. I'm going to take it to the dealer to get it fix, does anyone know if this will cost a lot. Is the car still driveable?

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (11)

You need to pull out the shock and replace the tophat. I believe its around 40 for the tophat.
__________________
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuba View Post
You need to pull out the shock and replace the tophat. I believe its around 40 for the tophat.

Thanks man! You are a life saver. I was a bit freaked out. I would buy you a few beers if you were here.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
cleex024
Major
24
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodbridge

iTrader: (2)

thats actually not true...all you really need to do is tap that screw out and put in a new one...i dont know if they will sell you just the screw but im sure they will and probably have a few laying around in the shop.

I would just bang out that bolt and ask the dealer if they have anything like it there.

then you take off the wheel feel around and put it back into place...pretty simple i would have to say.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Cuba
Cuba
Cuba's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
1,604
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
thats actually not true...all you really need to do is tap that screw out and put in a new one...i dont know if they will sell you just the screw but im sure they will and probably have a few laying around in the shop.

I would just bang out that bolt and ask the dealer if they have anything like it there.

then you take off the wheel feel around and put it back into place...pretty simple i would have to say.
oh didnt know you can tap them out like that. ill look into that, one of mine is a little cross threaded
__________________
07 328xi Monaco Blue|Premium|Cold|Navi|CA|LLumar|Mtec|DDM|aFe|Ambe r-Gone|Rear Fogs|Bimmian|PY-Speed|OEM|e92-lighting|V1|BavAuto|Weisslicht|Cyba|Beyern|Falken| Sonic Tuning|ECS Tuning|JL Audio|Rockford Fosgate
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Part of the bolt that broke off is still screwed to the nut. Is there anyway to get the nut off that broken bolt?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
cleex024
Major
24
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodbridge

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentbanker View Post
Part of the bolt that broke off is still screwed to the nut. Is there anyway to get the nut off that broken bolt?

Thanks
what you mean? looks like its cleanly broken off
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
what you mean? looks like its cleanly broken off
lets pretend u have a bolt and a nut.

now lets say u screwed the nut at the tip of the bolt and chopped off the rest of the bolt right under the nut.

how do u get that part of the bolt out of the nut?


Think of a donut with its hole filed. What I'm trying to do is get the filling out of the nut so I can reuse the nut since the nut on the strut bar is unique.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
cleex024
Major
24
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodbridge

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentbanker View Post
lets pretend u have a bolt and a nut.

now lets say u screwed the nut at the tip of the bolt and chopped off the rest of the bolt right under the nut.

how do u get that part of the bolt out of the nut?


Think of a donut with its hole filed. What I'm trying to do is get the filling out of the nut so I can reuse the nut since the nut on the strut bar is unique.

thanks
oh haha sorry my bad...didnt read it right...i would probably take something small and flat that will fit in there and use super glue...let it dry and twist off.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
oh haha sorry my bad...didnt read it right...i would probably take something small and flat that will fit in there and use super glue...let it dry and twist off.

whoa that is ingenius. u must be one of them engineer type dudes lol. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
cleex024
Major
24
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodbridge

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentbanker View Post
whoa that is ingenius. u must be one of them engineer type dudes lol. thanks
lol...cant tell if thats sarcasm...but either way its the most simple solution. also im a finance major who just loves to work on cars.

gotta think outside the box to run a business =)
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
lol...cant tell if thats sarcasm...but either way its the most simple solution. also im a finance major who just loves to work on cars.

gotta think outside the box to run a business =)
Nah I was pretty serious. I never worked on a car in my life, except I changed a flat with a spare twice. Just trying to learn about cars. Thanks for the help though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
335okc
Captain
335okc's Avatar
10
Rep
654
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: okc

iTrader: (0)

unfortunately I've done just that when i was upgrading my suspension. i had to replace the guide support, which is supposedly a wear item, a 100+ bucks wear item.
the screw is welded to the top hat.
hope you have better luck than i did.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
unfortunately I've done just that when i was upgrading my suspension. i had to replace the guide support, which is supposedly a wear item, a 100+ bucks wear item.
the screw is welded to the top hat.
hope you have better luck than i did.
Damn if the bolt is wielding on then I'm sure I'll have to get a new guide support too. I have the performance package suspension.

part number http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...306775098.html
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
36
Rep
3,398
Posts

 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (4)

mine weren't welded. I broke one because I had set the torque wrench improperly and snapped it. I just tapped the bolt out from the top and put another one in from another set of guide supports I had from a used suspension.

so it's worth checking and at least trying to knock it out, before buying a new guide support.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #16
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
mine weren't welded. I broke one because I had set the torque wrench improperly and snapped it. I just tapped the bolt out from the top and put another one in from another set of guide supports I had from a used suspension.

so it's worth checking and at least trying to knock it out, before buying a new guide support.
Thanks man, will have it checked out first.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 335 RWD 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY,NY

iTrader: (6)

New spring seat/top hat and an hour of labor at indy. They would need to pull out a strut, compress the spring, swap the hat for a new one and put it back together. Where are you located?
__________________
2010 Alpine White E90 335i RWD 6MT M/Premium/Cold
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
cleex024
Major
24
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodbridge

iTrader: (2)

lol....again its not that difficult...why does everyone think its welded? its almost just glued on there...2 of mine just fell off when i was putting coilovers in.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
#Tee's Avatar
80
Rep
4,887
Posts

 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

use a punch and punch it out and press in a new one with the old nut. 10 min job.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
investmentbanker
Private
4
Rep
52
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
New spring seat/top hat and an hour of labor at indy. They would need to pull out a strut, compress the spring, swap the hat for a new one and put it back together. Where are you located?
What is indy? I see that used a lot in this forum. Indy 500 or something?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
617
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 335 RWD 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY,NY

iTrader: (6)

Independent mechanic.
__________________
2010 Alpine White E90 335i RWD 6MT M/Premium/Cold
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
Dr. G
Brigadier General
Dr. G's Avatar
80
Rep
4,958
Posts

 
Drives: Black e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
They are press fitted in there, you should be able to punch it out.

I have to do the exact same thing this weekend. I'm just not sure what exact bolt to use as a replacement yet, but I'm guessing it's not that big of a deal as to what exact bolt I use.
__________________
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST