E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Am I Safe with Squared 18x9.0



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
asianstutter
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Am I Safe with Squared 18x9.0

Hey guys,
I just ordered a set of wheels and tires from a local shop. Can you guys tell me if my setup is safe for AWD, fender rub, front too wide?
My setup is squared not staggered ( it allows me to rotate if i need to). 225/40/18 18x9.0 offset 30.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
mr_sk
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
31
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY / NH

iTrader: (0)

Curious as well - I'd like to run a square setup so I can rotate as needed and get a little more "life" outta the tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
asianstutter
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
27
Rep
2,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

You are fine, no problems. Even if you are lowered you will not rub.In fact i would add 12-15mm spacer to rear.
I have pre-lci with 18x9.5 et22 rear with 235/40 lowered, no fender mods and no rubbing.
18x9 et16 will extend to same point as the 18x9.5 et22.

Also i will add 10mm spacer to my setup at spring so 9.5 et12, but it will need fender roll.

Here is pre lci with 18x9 et26 front and et8 rear, but this will probably require fender roll to rear.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461073
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
D_o_S
LCI'd
53
Rep
811
Posts

 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

iTrader: (1)

Wow, watch out here... AFAIK, a 9.0 rim is too wide for the front, it will hit the strut, but YMMV...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
27
Rep
2,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Wow, watch out here... AFAIK, a 9.0 rim is too wide for the front, it will hit the strut, but YMMV...
Can't really tell if you are sarcastic, but 9 inch isn't too wide to front and 18x9 et30 is about 13-14mm from hitting the stock shocks inside. I have 9.5 et35 front and that is about 2mm from stock shocks and i know some people here have 10 inch wide wheel at front.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Envuks
Captain
Envuks's Avatar
8
Rep
718
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90
You are fine, no problems. Even if you are lowered you will not rub.In fact i would add 12-15mm spacer to rear.
I have pre-lci with 18x9.5 et22 rear with 235/40 lowered, no fender mods and no rubbing.
18x9 et16 will extend to same point as the 18x9.5 et22.

Also i will add 10mm spacer to my setup at spring so 9.5 et12, but it will need fender roll.

Here is pre lci with 18x9 et26 front and et8 rear, but this will probably require fender roll to rear.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461073
You're running a 235 rear tire on a 9.5 inch wide wheel?... What? Why?
__________________
Jet black e92 6mt 335xi:

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
rattmobbins
Captain
rattmobbins's Avatar
6
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i Touring
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NM

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
You're running a 235 rear tire on a 9.5 inch wide wheel?... What? Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
asianstutter
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Wow, watch out here... AFAIK, a 9.0 rim is too wide for the front, it will hit the strut, but YMMV...
This is what concerns me that the front might be too wide at 9.0. So i should just get the 8.0 all around and put spacers if needed?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
zipstic
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I run an 8.5 with a 35 offset in the front with a 225 tire. If you have a 9.0 with a 30 offset with a 225 tire then you would 0.25mm further away from the strut than me so you're good on that side of the wheel.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
BmerMeUp's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

When they said 9.0 is too wide, I thought they meant too wide for a 225 tire, which is true.

Tire range for a 9.0 wide wheel is 235 -> 265.

You are going to have a substantial stretch if you can find someone to do it for you.
http://tyrestretch.com/9_225_40_R18/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Envuks
Captain
Envuks's Avatar
8
Rep
718
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Lol. Such a fail.
__________________
Jet black e92 6mt 335xi:

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #13
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N
e90sexion's Avatar
Canada
81
Rep
6,365
Posts

 
Drives: M3, Z4MC
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver/WA

iTrader: (16)

should be ok, i am running 9.5 squared et22
rubbing w/ 255 in the rear, so did fender roll
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #14
playground
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
3
Rep
292
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Causeway Bay & North York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Can't even turn. smh.
__________________
LAPTORR|ESS|GruppeM|BILSTEIN|BBS
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #15
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
27
Rep
2,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
You're running a 235 rear tire on a 9.5 inch wide wheel?... What? Why?
Why not? Handling is more neutral, cheaper tyres and i have 320 diesel so no need for wide rear tyre to get more grip. But i guess main reason was that i wanted to fit 9.5 et22 without rubbing and fender roll. Also wanted the tyre to look the same as front stretch wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Picture of stanced car
My car is far from those stanced cars. Im not that low and i haven't add any negative camber and i don't have enough poke etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianstutter View Post
This is what concerns me that the front might be too wide at 9.0. So i should just get the 8.0 all around and put spacers if needed?
I like how you totally ignored my post above.You have no problems with 9 inch wide wheel at front.Here is my 9.5 et35 front which is 2mm from shocks inside.

http://i.imgur.com/2pfFn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YoH5A.jpg

Your 18x9 et30 would retract 1mm from that and 11mm more room inside.

You can go 8 inch wide if you want, but if you want the wheels to be flush with fenders you are going to need big spacers at least for rear, if they don't offer lower offsets.Just to give you idea this is my winter setup 17x8 et20 front and 17x8 et10 rear with 225/45/17 No rubbing.

http://i.imgur.com/jHwygqu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bbnsdi4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
When they said 9.0 is too wide, I thought they meant too wide for a 225 tire, which is true.

Tire range for a 9.0 wide wheel is 235 -> 265.

You are going to have a substantial stretch if you can find someone to do it for you.
http://tyrestretch.com/9_225_40_R18/
Not true 225/40/18 is approved for 7.5-9 widths and every tire shop should do it, because it is approved
http://www.alloywheels.com/225-40-18-Tyres

I don't think the stretch will be that bad, its going to be about the same as my 235 on 9.5, of course the amount of stretch depends tyre brand.Example Michelin pss are wider than falken even if the size is same.

Here is one with 18x9 with 225/40 not BMW tho.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpo...10&postcount=9

to me thats not stretched, this is.
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6...fitmentbi5.jpg

But these are personal opinions.
__________________

Last edited by MonacoBlueE90; 03-27-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
sleeper6
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335xi E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

I am 18x9 ET 41 square with 255/35 + 12mm spacersx4 no prob. Very little cost diff on tires (all season) 225vs 255. Looks great no rub. Now I just need to decrease my elevation
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
projectzer0
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I've been wondering the same thing. So I am assuming 19x9 +35 235/35/19 would be fine as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
BmerMeUp's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
When they said 9.0 is too wide, I thought they meant too wide for a 225 tire, which is true.

Tire range for a 9.0 wide wheel is 235 -> 265.

You are going to have a substantial stretch if you can find someone to do it for you.
http://tyrestretch.com/9_225_40_R18/


Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
Not true 225/40/18 is approved for 7.5-9 widths and every tire shop should do it, because it is approved
http://www.alloywheels.com/225-40-18-Tyres

I don't think the stretch will be that bad, its going to be about the same as my 235 on 9.5, of course the amount of stretch depends tyre brand. ...
Fair enough, I stand mostly corrected!

I am suspicious of the 7.5-9.0 reference, but the source you quoted seems convincing, so I can neither disagree nor explain why one site would say "Ok" and one would would say "Not".

And yes, for this part, I agree I have heard from many that brand also plays a large part in how much perceived stretch you get.

Your examples and references are excellent - thank you for clarifying!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
Finland
27
Rep
2,398
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
Fair enough, I stand mostly corrected!

I am suspicious of the 7.5-9.0 reference, but the source you quoted seems convincing, so I can neither disagree nor explain why one site would say "Ok" and one would would say "Not".

And yes, for this part, I agree I have heard from many that brand also plays a large part in how much perceived stretch you get.

Your examples and references are excellent - thank you for clarifying!
No problem. Here is another chart. It says that 225/40/18 is for 8inch wide, but 7.5 to 9 are options too.

http://translate.google.fi/translate...neleveydet.htm

Falken tyres have the same thing.(click the view sizes & specs button on that link.)

http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/azenis-fk-453

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectzer0 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing. So I am assuming 19x9 +35 235/35/19 would be fine as well?
Yes it will fit. Here is 19x9 et 35+ 5mm spacer

http://www.7machine.com/bmw/104052.html
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST