E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery Cable Recall - defect location?

03-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.

Drives: 2007 335i E90

Battery Cable Recall - defect location?

Anyone have an idea of where exactly the defective part is located on the e9x? Can it be seen without disassembling something?

Taking mine in for the recall, but prior to dropping the car off I'd love to actually look at the part and get an idea of whether it failed or started to fail.
      03-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb

Drives: 06 e90 330i & 06 e90 325i

BMW seemed to know of the problem in mid 2011. Here is what BMW did for repair prior to the recall, not sure how they covered it prior to the recall or if the fix listed will be performed under the recall. See the following link, it seems that BMW repairs the cable and does not replace it. The fuse box and associated cable are located behind the glove box on passenger side.

Se post #243
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804545

See Post #44:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812236
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW B61 08 11 Fuse Box Replacement.pdf (363.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: pdf BMW SI B61 08 11.pdf (170.8 KB, 168 views)

06 e90 325i /Jet Black/Black Leatherette/Steptronic/Cold Weather Package/Style 197's
SpeedBuggy is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class

Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

Damn, after looking at and reading the attached PDF this could be a major pain. I hate having the average service monkey taking apart my cars...

I am definitely going to document (via pictures) all applicable possible areas of dis-assembly prior to scheduling this recall. If the whole cable has to be replaced, as per the attachment, the passenger seat has to be removed, etc.

Shoot.

Mark
      03-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
NGEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
BMW seemed to know of the problem in mid 2011. Here is what BMW did for repair prior to the recall, not sure how they covered it prior to the recall or if the fix listed will be performed under the recall. See the following link, it seems that BMW repairs the cable and does not replace it. The fuse box and associated cable are located behind the glove box on passenger side.
Thanks, excellent info. I'd seen those threads but they were were so long I'd have never found those individual posts!

As per your attached SIB PDF, the fuse panel must be dropped from the dash to see/access the battery cable connection in the back. I did check the connection at the battery and it is good. Given my symptoms, I can almost guarantee that the fuse box connection is bad per the recall:

- clock resets itself randomly
- doors won't unlock at random times
- car stalls randomly, setting off every possible warning light

Getting the recall work done tomorrow, but the dealer has already started downplaying the symptoms as related in any way to the recall. Just wanted to go in there armed with as much info as possible. Bummer I can't see/document the fuse panel connection.
      03-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
bhmax16
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328xi E92

I've attached a photo of what the cable looks like at the fuse box end. I took mine apart to inspect it. My connector appeared solid as did the cable itself (nice shiny brass), so I am avoiding taking my vehicle in for the recall at this time. I actually wish BMW would just supply me with the new connector so I could replace it myself (I too don't trust dealer monkeys with my vehicle, or anybody else for that matter). As far as I've heard they're still fixing via a new pigtail/connector and not replacing the entire cable.
Attached Images

03-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
NGEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax16 View Post
I've attached a photo of what the cable looks like at the fuse box end. I took mine apart to inspect it.
Jaysus! Hard core.

Yes, the dealers are now only splicing in a new cable segment with fuse panel connector. I had mine done and they fessed up that it was causing all my electrical problems. No charge, even for the diagnostics.

According to the SIB, they only splice in a new cable if there is evidence of damage - e.g.: discoloration of the plastic sheath.