E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > hpfp went out

03-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
scottro
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i

hpfp went out

Just had the HPFP go out and thought I would share the symptoms, codes, and how you might be able to identify it in the PROcede.

For about 2 days prior to it going out, I had the long crank symptom. But it wasn't consistent, and sometimes would fire right off.

One evening on the drive home, the car just started running really crappy, felt like misfires, and the entire car was shaking. It actually took a few more minutes of driving before it went into limp mode (I was almost home and determined to make it to avoid a tow, which is why I kept going). The first time it threw these codes:

29DC
29F2

29F2 made me think for sure it was hpfp. But after clearing the codes, I could actually start and drive the car around (under very easy throttle) without it acting all funny. Give it any bit of gas, and it would start missing real bad again, but now it would only ever throw 29DC. I couldn't get the 29F2 to come back.

I know the pump is warrantied but it was Friday afternoon and I wanted my car fixed ASAP. So I bought a bump and put it in. Fired it up, good as new.

One interesting thing as I was driving around with the laptop hooked up on the bad pump, logging the Fuel Pressure (volts) parameter in PROcede, is that it would idle around 1.x volts and as soon as I gave it gas it would drop to about 0.8 volts. This was a clue as we know the voltage should increase with throttle. (Of course it could have just been a bad sensor, but I thought that was less likely as we don't hear of those going out as much)

Also I could start the car, it would run fine until I gave it some gas, and then it would start feeling like misfires thereafter. Once the misfires started happening, the AFR would go straight to 19:1 and stay there.

I figure most of this is common knowledge by now, but if not, this was my experience.

2007 w/ 48k miles, not sure if previous owner had a pump done but this is the first time I've done it.
      03-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
oshusttoley
Captain

Drives: 2008 335i sedan

How much it cost you for pump?
      03-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Lifted07Duramax
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

how easy was the pumpb swap? any write up on it?
      04-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
scottro
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshusttoley View Post
How much it cost you for pump?
getbmwparts.com, $284.74 + a $50.00 core charge = $334.74
      04-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
scottro
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
how easy was the pumpb swap? any write up on it?
I didn't really follow a write-up, but if you've had experience installing a meth kit or after market charge pipe and removing the air box, it's only a few more steps to remove the throttle body and intake manifold. The most time consuming part is clearing crap out of the way just so you can get to the pump, and then it's only 4 bolts, two fuel lines, and a connector if I remember correctly for the pump. Not too bad.

There are some existing write-up's online though if you want to follow one.