E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Need Austin Traffic Lawyer



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
zachar3
Captain
17
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: e92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami/Austin

iTrader: (1)

Need Austin Traffic Lawyer

I got a speeding ticket and dont qualify for texas defensive driving since I'm not a texas resident. I need a good traffic attorney in Austin who can assist me.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,616
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Ask for deferred adjudication - you will still pay a fine, but if you keep your record clean for 90 days or 6 months (whichever they might give you), they'll take the ticket off your record. That said, if you're not a Texas resident, this might not be an option, either, but it won't hurt to ask. How far over the limit were you going?
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
zachar3
Captain
17
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: e92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami/Austin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Ask for deferred adjudication - you will still pay a fine, but if you keep your record clean for 90 days or 6 months (whichever they might give you), they'll take the ticket off your record. That said, if you're not a Texas resident, this might not be an option, either, but it won't hurt to ask. How far over the limit were you going?
80 in a 65... according to the officer. I dont want to defer adjudication. I used to work in the Miami traffic court and my dad is also a lawyer. I dont feel comfortable handling this myself though. No lawyer referral? haha
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,465
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Why exactly do you want a lawyer? What do you hope to achieve? If you're not a Texas resident I'm pretty sure a lawyer can't magically make you eligible for defensive driving. And if you're hoping to weasel out of the ticket entirely when you were in fact speeding, I don't really see the basis for that goal. You broke the law, you got caught. So pay the fine and get on with life. I can't stand these "I got an entirely justified ticket and I want to cry about it to the Internet and/or find a way not to suffer the consequences" threads.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
gtabfknkdnme's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,455
Posts

 
Drives: E90, F30
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (4)

^^

agreed.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
zachar3
Captain
17
Rep
641
Posts

 
Drives: e92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami/Austin

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Why exactly do you want a lawyer? What do you hope to achieve? If you're not a Texas resident I'm pretty sure a lawyer can't magically make you eligible for defensive driving. And if you're hoping to weasel out of the ticket entirely when you were in fact speeding, I don't really see the basis for that goal. You broke the law, you got caught. So pay the fine and get on with life. I can't stand these "I got an entirely justified ticket and I want to cry about it to the Internet and/or find a way not to suffer the consequences" threads.
I want a lawyer because thats what my father told me to do. Im confident he knows the legal system better than you. But hey, jackass, lets get into questions. What do YOU hope to achieve by trying to insult me. So..detective, do you know that I legitimately sped?
I'm seeking advice. I didn't know that a forum was a bad place to turn to for help. I can't stand these "everyone who gets caught in a predicament besides what I'm interested in is a total moron" threads. Get over yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
jphughan's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,465
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachar3 View Post
I want a lawyer because thats what my father told me to do. Im confident he knows the legal system better than you. But hey, jackass, lets get into questions. What do YOU hope to achieve by trying to insult me. So..detective, do you know that I legitimately sped?
I'm seeking advice. I didn't know that a forum was a bad place to turn to for help. I can't stand these "everyone who gets caught in a predicament besides what I'm interested in is a total moron" threads. Get over yourself.
No doubt he knows the legal system better than I -- but then I never claimed to know anything about the legal system. And of course I don't KNOW you were speeding, which is why I started that sentence with "If". But let's be honest, seeing as there's no penalty for admitting innocence, if you weren't speeding you almost certainly would have mentioned that in your original post or at least one of the 2 subsequent posts. But given that you a) didn't claim you weren't speeding, b) added the whole "....according to the officer" comment in your first reply, and c) seem focused on the workings of the legal system rather than claiming that the ticket is undeserved, all signs point to you most likely looking for a lawyer to help you get out of a speeding ticket you completely deserve by knowing how to work the system to take advantage of some technicality like the accuracy of the radar/laser gun model the cop used, the accuracy of the measurement given the cop's angle/distance, etc.

I don't think people who post topics that don't interest me are morons, just those who whine about life being unfair even when it's being completely fair, just that "fair" happens not to be in their favor. And forums are a great place to turn to for help, but help dodging entirely deserved consequences, maybe not so much. Again, not saying your consequences are entirely deserved, but it definitely sounds that way so far.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 04-01-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,616
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachar3 View Post
80 in a 65... according to the officer. I dont want to defer adjudication. I used to work in the Miami traffic court and my dad is also a lawyer. I dont feel comfortable handling this myself though. No lawyer referral? haha
No, no lawyer referral. What would you hope to achieve, anyway? Trying to beat the ticket? Not gonna happen unless you can somehow prove you weren't breaking the law. After 10 years in law enforcement, I can tell you that your chances are slim and none - unless the officer doesn't show for the court date, you will need to present a defense, and the court/judge really doesn't like to waste a lot of time on these simple infractions. If Florida doesn't have reciprocity with Texas for traffic citations, then pay up and move on. Are you planning to come back to Austin to fight the ticket? Because lawyer or not, if you don't show up, you have little or no chance of accomplishing anything. Paying the ticket is probably cheaper than paying the lawyer, anyway.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST