E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help: ER CP coupler to ER FMIC too short?

03-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Smoke4U
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i '08 E93 Convertible

Help: ER CP coupler to ER FMIC too short?

****EDIT: I spoke out of turn so I apologize. ER explained that they generally offer a free installation, not a free FMIC for prototype cars. I did not mean to get anyone's hopes up or put ER on the spot. If you are interested in helping out please call Christine at ER to talk with her about any incentives to being the prototype car. I am editing out any references to a free FMIC in this thread so it is clear that is not the offer. But please call Christine at ER to get the exact incentives they are willing to offer. She feels that fitment can happen the same day so no need to leave the car. Please speak with Christine to schedule an appointment to be fitted. ****

Since this is the first time I have installed an ER FMIC + ER CP I am the cause of this problem, but I can't seem to match the correct angle to mate the CP to the upper intercooler piping. I have an E93 convertible and it has a sway bar at the top of the back of the radiator preventing the upper intercooler piping from coming forward to meet the CP. Not sure if e92's also have this black bar.

The upper intercooler piping opening also angles 10• or so towards the engine so when I force the Cp and it to slip into the silicone ER supplied coupler there isn't enough length in the coupler to clamp it down tightly (the clamp slips off the upper intercooler piping coupler end).

Right now all other clamps on the FMIC are locked down except the upper intercooler piping to the FMIC. The clamp on the upper intercooler piping bottom is locked down but the clamp on the other side to the FMIC is loose to allow for play. The FMIC is also bolted onto place with the stock torx screws, and the CP has been secured to the throttle body (but CP securing bolt is not attached).

I am sure I'll need to disconnect the lower coupler attached to the upper intercooler piping to adjust for play but right now I'm not convinced that it will do the trick. A 1" longer coupler would so I am contemplating ordering that.

Anyone else run into this mating issue and if so, how did you overcome? And why are the couplers so short? Would adding another 1-3" of couplers affect the performance? Also if I cannot mate it without the longer coupler I may be ordering will the 10• offset affect performance by introducing turbulence?

Thank you in advance for any tips/tricks to resolving this frustrating scenario. BTW while my car was on Gorilla ramps w/the bumper off I drove my wife's Scion XB to get a clamp and was sandwiched between two cars from an idiot who plowed into the rear if the XB at 20+ mph at a stop light! Sometimes I hate S FL and its terrible drivers, then I think again it could have been 40• when installing the ER instead of 70• I just am thankful I wasn't driving my ride when I got plowed!
Attached Images

Last edited by Smoke4U; 04-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: ER help clarification
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Smoke4U
Private
Rep

Possible defective inter cooler pipe. New one being sent from ER.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
That blows. Reminds me of my nightmare putting in my AMS cooler. Hope you get it handled soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

I have same IC, I ran into a few problems at that section, make sure that you shaved enough plastic off so that it is flush with the radiator shroud. I had to mess with it for a little bit, and at the point where it connects to the cold side of the IC you can gain some distance there. however I would rather have too little up top side because i ran into some problems with the coupler blowing up under high PSI environments, I ended up getting a 4 inch coupler and havent had a problem since.
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

also not to insult your intelligence but make sure your pipe that connects to IC is the correct direction.
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Metro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 ///M3

Um, are you not using the stock rubber elbow between the upper and lower charge pipes?

Maybe it's different for an e93 but I still had to use that elbow to connect my ETS lower pipe to the ER charge pipe.
      04-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Smoke4U
Private
Rep

****EDIT: I spoke out of turn so I apologize. ER explained that they generally offer a free installation, not a free FMIC. I did not mean to get anyone's hopes up or put ER on the spot. If you are interested in helping out please call Christine at ER to talk with her about any incentives to being the prototype car. I am editing out any references to a free FMIC in this thread so it is clear that is not the offer. But please call Christine at ER to get the exact incentives they are willing to offer. She feels that fitment can happen the same day so no need to leave the car. Please speak with Christine to schedule an appointment to be fitted. ****

Thank you all for responding. The piping is all metal from the fmic to the throttle body. ER provides a metal J pipe to replace the factory one and I purchased their charge pipe upgrade. Trust me, I tried fitting the pipe every which way and there is only one way to do it.

The second pipe from ER suffered from the same fitment problem. After researching the undercarriages of E9x's it is obvious that the E93's have something the E90/92's don't: an undercarriage body stiffening system to mitigate the extra body torsion found in cars with no roof. In th engine compartment there are two stiffening bars that form a V from the bottom of the power steering reservoir to the center of the front engine support found on the under body (bar #1) and back up to the passenger side (bar#2). There is a black mini kick plate where they meet at the engine support beam which serves as a junction for two other bars that aim back towards the rear tires forming a Horizontal V.

The stiffening bar from the bottom of the power steering reservoir to the bottom engine support bar is blocking the IC J pipe from mating to the charge pipe.

This guy had the exact same problem and needed some custom welding to overcome it http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516699

I have been having an ongoing dialogue with ER to get this issue resolved and they have been great, offering to fabricate a new pipe that will work. The problem now is they need a prototype car to confirm the dimensions, but I'm in FL and they are in CA. If any E93 2008 wants what I presume would be a [EDITED: please speak with Christine at ER to determine your incentive for being a prototype car] they need to contact me or ER (Christine) to set up a time to go to their location and give it to them for a few days. Not guaranteeing a free FMIC but I'm pretty sure that was implied for the prototype car.

Right now I had a turbo shop cut a 2" section of pipe that closes the gap, then have it clamped down with 2 silicone couplers and 4 T clamps. This is not a perfect fitment since the CP won't attach to the mounting bracket - further customization is required to find the perfect fit. I will be messing with it later this week and if I can get it right I'm sending the specs to ER to have them create the pipe from my prototype.

So HURRY, HURRY, HURRY if you own an E93 2008 and want to receive a [EDITED: please speak with Christine at ER to determine your incentive for being a prototype car]!!

Last edited by Smoke4U; 04-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
DKLA60
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson e93 335i

Thanks for headsup on this, I will be in contact with them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke4U View Post
Thank you all for responding. The piping is all metal from the fmic to the thrittle body. ER provides a metal J pipe to replace the factory one and I purchased their charge pipe upgrade. Trust me, I tried fitting the pipe every which way and there is only one way to do it.

The second pipe from ER suffered from the same fitment problem. After researching the undercarriages of E9x's it is obvious that the E93's have something the E90/92's don't: an undercarriage body stiffening system to mitigate the extra body torsion found in cars with no roof. In th engine compartment there are two stiffening bars that form a V from the bottom of the power steering reservoir to the center of the front engine support found on the underbody (bar #1) and back up to the passenger side (bar#2). There is a black mini kick plate where they meet at the engine support beam which serves as a junction for two other bars that aim back towards the rear tires forming a Horizontal V.

The stiffening bar from the bottom of the power steering reservoir to the bottom engine support bar is blocking the IC J pipe from mating to the charge pipe.

This guy had the exact same problem and needed some custom welding to overcome it http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516699

I have been having an ongoing dialogue with ER to get this issue resolved and they have been great, offering to fabricate a new pipe that will work. The problem now is they need a prototype car to confirm the dimensions, but I'm in FL and they are in CA. If any E93 2008 wants what I presume would be a free ER FMIC they need to contact me or ER (Christine) to set up a time to go to their location and give it to them for a few days. Not guaranteeing a free FMIC but I'm pretty sure that was implied for the prototype car.

Right now I had a turbo shop cut a 2" section of pipe that closes the gap, then have it clamped down with 2 silicone couplers and 4 T clamps. This is not a perfect fitment since the CP won't attach to the mounting bracket - further customization is required to find the perfect fit. I will be messing with it later this week and if I can get it right I'm sending the specs to ER to have them create the pipe from my prototype.

So HURRY, HURRY, HURRY if you own an E93 2008 and want to receive a FREE FMIC!! Note: free FMIC not 100% guaranteed but I am pretty sure that was implied by ER to help resolve this situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
Smoke4U
Private
Rep

Blocking stiffening bar location

Please verify you have the same stiffening bar that is blocking the IC J pipe from moving forward, and that you are an automatic transmission. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0