E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > over boost and limp mode?

03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Chefcg1
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

over boost and limp mode?

I've been having an issue with my car going into limp mode when i go WOT. pulls like a frieght train then "bing" service engine soon light! I'm running procede and mods in sig. Any advice or suggestion are welcome.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Copilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Chefcg1 is offline   United_States
      03-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
dominick
Private First Class

Drives: 08 335i

its a vacuum leak for sure. what codes you getting?
      03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
DeeDubauWhy
o.O

Drives: 08 E92 335i

did you ever figure out your problem? i turned on my JB4 to have a little fun and when i laid it down, same thing...pulled super hard and then the SES came on. I pulled off to the side of the ride, turned off the JB4...waited a little bit and restarted my car and it was back to running normal again, no limp...

haven't had time to look under the hood but the engine has been running fine since...still makes me wonder what the hell happened?
DeeDubauWhy is offline   United_States
      03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 JB4 G5 ISO RB's FBO+40%E85

It doesnt necessarily mean its a vacuum leak??? When I had a vacuum leak I had no codes but would only get 0psi of boost with the JB4 G5 ISO on map 5 (autotune map) as well as map 0 (stock like mode). Long story short I replaced all my vacuum lines with silicone hoses just because there alot more durable and since I was already going to go ahead and replace them I thought why not get something that will most probably eliminate any leak in the future. If you are throwing a check engine light followed by limp mode it could be an injector, coil pack, spark plugs ect...

Also are you using E85 at all? If you are you probably need to increase your open loop mapping on your rev 2.5...I dont know if the Procede has that or maybe its called something else but that could be another issue as well. If you max it out you need to decrease your E85 content or upgrade to the Walboro LPFP.

But if this just started happening and you didnt have any problems before i bet money its a spark plug/coil pack or injectors. hook your lap top up and read the codes since it should be a hard code and it should be stored on your Procede even if you turn the car off and turn it back on it should still be stored. I would start by reading the code then we could probably better assist you and your issue.
A/W E92 335i M-sport with JB4 G5 ISO/ E40 WEDGE PERFORMANCE BACKEND FLASH, Alpina TCU flash for AT/Switch-tronic +AR Downpipes, Stett gen 1 intake, Wagner-Tuning FMIC+RB Turbo setup/ RB PCV Valve+ Akro exhaust+60% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW coilovers, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@119mph on street tires) NO METH!
      03-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
DEFINESTE90
Private

Drives: e90 335

its your wastegate actuators
      03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
DeeDubauWhy
o.O

Drives: 08 E92 335i

With what we were doing at the time...could this be also a HPFP issue too? Just bought the USB cable so when I get time I'll plug in and read the code, but I just bite my fingernails thinking I will have to get the HPFP replaced again...even when I got it replaced just a couple thousand miles ago
DeeDubauWhy is offline   United_States
      03-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
09BMW335i
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2012 Cadillac SRX  [0.00]
2009 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
It doesnt necessarily mean its a vacuum leak??? When I had a vacuum leak I had no codes but would only get 0psi of boost with the JB4 G5 ISO on map 5 (autotune map) as well as map 0 (stock like mode). Long story short I replaced all my vacuum lines with silicone hoses just because there alot more durable and since I was already going to go ahead and replace them I thought why not get something that will most probably eliminate any leak in the future. If you are throwing a check engine light followed by limp mode it could be an injector, coil pack, spark plugs ect...

Also are you using E85 at all? If you are you probably need to increase your open loop mapping on your rev 2.5...I dont know if the Procede has that or maybe its called something else but that could be another issue as well. If you max it out you need to decrease your E85 content or upgrade to the Walboro LPFP.

But if this just started happening and you didnt have any problems before i bet money its a spark plug/coil pack or injectors. hook your lap top up and read the codes since it should be a hard code and it should be stored on your Procede even if you turn the car off and turn it back on it should still be stored. I would start by reading the code then we could probably better assist you and your issue.

I have had this issue a few times now i havent put E85 in my tank in about 2-4 fillups. and I have had the Engine Malf light come up, wait 2-5 mins and it is gone.
When i use E85 I only do 30% ratio and run JB4 G5 Board ISO Map 5 and it runs likea champ. and no issues.

I know i dont have a vacume leak i checked, a few weeks ago and my def wastegate position is 80

Suggestion is change plugs?
increase fuel open loop to 2.5 what should it be normally running 15-30% E85 or is that dependednt on the car
anything else i should look at

thanks
      04-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
BillLee
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [0.00]
08 E90 335i  [4.65]
same thing happening to me with and without my cobb tune.
BillLee is offline   United_States
      04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Chefcg1
Major

I did a pull today and it seems to be a misfire on #5. Only seems to do it at high boost meth map. I'm fine to 18 psi but when my meth map switches to 20psi at redline it misfires.
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Copilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
      05-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
greye92
Private

Drives: E92 335i

I have the same issue with my n54, I bought the car used at 140Km and it started happening everytime I went WOT, it doesn't happen on low RPM but when I go past 5 on third gear perhaps the orange engine light comes on and car goes into limp mode, and I can stop the car and turn it off and turn it back on right away and everything goes back to normal. It really pisses me off. will be taking the car in to have it checked out, Ill post back when I get it figured out.
      12-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
whatamiat

Drives: 335i Stock

greye92 - did you ever fix the overboost issue?

Im still getting mine with stock 335. last thing done was full software update.
      12-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
Chefcg1
Major

I changed to new plugs and it went away.
      03-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #13
DetectiveLoki
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by greye92 View Post
I have the same issue with my n54, I bought the car used at 140Km and it started happening everytime I went WOT, it doesn't happen on low RPM but when I go past 5 on third gear perhaps the orange engine light comes on and car goes into limp mode, and I can stop the car and turn it off and turn it back on right away and everything goes back to normal. It really pisses me off. will be taking the car in to have it checked out, Ill post back when I get it figured out.
Did you ever figured it out?
      03-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
greye92
Private

Drives: E92 335i

No, have not yet figured out the issue, have taken the car to 2 different bmw Indy shops neither helped, both said at the end take it to bmw to diagnose the issue.
We found a little leak on the pipe which goes from the turbo to the intercooler which seemed to have some oily spots around the bend just before the intercooler, I told him to change it, but he refused, assuming that this isn't the major problem. My third party warranty only pays for $70 of the diagnose, so I'm afraid to take it to bmw and it takes them few hours to figure out the issue and be stock with a $500+ bill just for diagnoses.
So I have left it as is for now. I will soon be ordering some new spark plugs as I have not changed them since I bought the car 20,000 km before.