E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DR-JEKL's 335i Intro & Build Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #331
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Well I have some good news regarding my low power/boost issue which become evident after the advan dyno day, Adrian@Vishnu had initially loaded the stage 1 map which is to be used for minor mods, since I'm now FBO (minus meth or upgraded turbos) I could run the stage 3 map.

I had no idea I had to reload a new map to suit the extra mods, and the guys at advan didnt mention that to me (in their defence I also didn't ask them to tune the car just install the dp's, fmic, cp etc) but in a nutshell this explains it below:

COBB
Stage 1 - Stock Car
Stage 1+ - Stock + FMIC
Stage 2 - Stock + Catless DPs
Stage 2+ - Stock + Catless DPs + FMIC + Upgraded Intake

JB4
Stage 1 - Stock Car (Map 1)
Stage 2 - Stock Car + Catless DPs (93 Octane) (Map 2)
Stage 3 -
Stage 4 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC + Methanol + Upgraded Turbos

Procede v3
Stage 0 - Stock Car (High altitude & poor fuel quality & high temp) (Map Stg 0)
Stage 1 - Stock Car (Map Stg 1)
Stage 2 - Stock + Catless DPs + FMIC (91 Octane) ; Stock + Catless DPs (93+ Octane) (Map Stg 2)
Stage 3 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC (Map Stg 3)
Stage 4 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC + Upgraded Turbos (Map FBO Upgraded Turbos)

FBO = Tune | Downpipes | Intake | FMIC | Cat Back Exhaust (Optional)



When I contacted Adrian@Vishnu with an email his prompt reply was that all I had to do was simply upload the stage 3 agressive map since I'm now FBO.

I D/L the latest aggressive procede maps from their site (V5 9_10) and the user interface and then Steve (Drawn05) helped me install all the drivers and get the pc synced to the procede and thus finally upload the new map and reset all adaptations etc

A huge thanks to Steve for coming out on a bloody hot day yesterday to do this, as whilst it still took an hour or so it would have taken me 4 hrs fumbling my way through if I had to do it myself!

So like a kid in a candy store I couldnt wait to go and run some logs!

I was kinda hesitant as it was extremely hot yesterday with high humidity but I eventually done a log.

The 1st log felt ok, but shortly after it chucked a CEL and I had thought I had blown a tyre with a strange noise from the rear of the car (soon worked out it was in limp mode)

The following codes were logged:

3100 - Boost De-activated
2A32 - NOT present VANOS intake

I cleared the codes and I decided to wait until today to have another attempt at the data logging as it was 32 Deg C ambient yesterday, and a cooler change was predicted today and the car drove fine and didnt chuck another CEL.

Come tonight I waited until 7pm and it was 22 Deg C ambient with much lower humidity and the car pulled like a train with 4 logs with the last peaking at 17 psi. It seemed to really put me back in the seat when wot in 3rd (it didnt do that before on the stage 1 map) its smoother to drive when cold and it no longer sounds like a tractor on cold starts. Also I noticed that when I installed the afe dci, when I was wot in 1st or 2nd and upshift early and let off the throttle it used to let rip with a vtec type inlet burp/fart it no longer does that which is a good thing!



So now I'm keen to have a dyno run to see what she puts out, being an ex lexus owner I know those guys are having a dyno day at unique autosports next month so it will be great to blow a few IS-F's, also Steve mentioned he attends an occasional wed nite street meets at eastern creek dragway, I will be keen to wack some cheap 17" rims on the rear shod with some nitto drag radials to see what it can run

Once again thanks to Drawn05 for guiding me, I'm now getting familiar with the procede interface and have it setup so I can run a few more logs and make some changes and also check codes if it logs something

On another aspect of the build I'm still debating on installing my wavetrac lsd diff centre along with m3 subframe bushes, links etc etc or to pony up and go with a complete m3 rear end swap. Whilst ultimately I think the m3 swap will be more costly it shall provide some great gains (this is the option I want to go at this stage!)



Drawn05's m3 rear end build thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748574

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 03-25-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #332
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Well I have some good news regarding my low power/boost issue which become evident after the advan dyno day, Adrian@Vishnu had initially loaded the stage 1 map which is to be used for minor mods, since I'm now FBO (minus meth or upgraded turbos) I could run the stage 3 map.

I had no idea I had to reload a new map to suit the extra mods, and the guys at advan didnt mention that to me (in their defence I also didn't ask them to tune the car just install the dp's, fmic, cp etc) but in a nutshell this explains it below:

COBB
Stage 1 - Stock Car
Stage 1+ - Stock + FMIC
Stage 2 - Stock + Catless DPs
Stage 2+ - Stock + Catless DPs + FMIC + Upgraded Intake

JB4
Stage 1 - Stock Car (Map 1)
Stage 2 - Stock Car + Catless DPs (93 Octane) (Map 2)
Stage 3 -
Stage 4 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC + Methanol + Upgraded Turbos

Procede v3
Stage 0 - Stock Car (High altitude & poor fuel quality & high temp) (Map Stg 0)
Stage 1 - Stock Car (Map Stg 1)
Stage 2 - Stock + Catless DPs + FMIC (91 Octane) ; Stock + Catless DPs (93+ Octane) (Map Stg 2)
Stage 3 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC (Map Stg 3)
Stage 4 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC + Upgraded Turbos (Map FBO Upgraded Turbos)

FBO = Tune | Downpipes | Intake | FMIC | Cat Back Exhaust (Optional)



When I contacted Adrian@Vishnu with an email his prompt reply was that all I had to do was simply upload the stage 3 agressive map since I'm now FBO.

I D/L the latest aggressive procede maps from their site (V5 9_10) and the user interface and then Steve (Drawn05) helped me install all the drivers and get the pc synced to the procede and thus finally upload the new map and reset all adaptations etc

A huge thanks to Steve for coming out on a bloody hot day yesterday to do this, as whilst it still took an hour or so it would have taken me 4 hrs fumbling my way through if I had to do it myself!

So like a kid in a candy store I couldnt wait to go and run some logs!

I was kinda hesitant as it was extremely hot yesterday with high humidity but I eventually done a log.

The 1st log felt ok, but shortly after it chucked a CEL and I had thought I had blown a tyre with a strange noise from the rear of the car (soon worked out it was in limp mode)

The following codes were logged:

3100 - Boost De-activated
2A32 - NOT present VANOS intake

I cleared the codes and I decided to wait until today to have another attempt at the data logging as it was 32 Deg C ambient yesterday, and a cooler change was predicted today and the car drove fine and didnt chuck another CEL.

Come tonight I waited until 7pm and it was 22 Deg C ambient with much lower humidity and the car pulled like a train with 4 logs with the last peaking at 17 psi. It seemed to really put me back in the seat when wot in 3rd (it didnt do that before on the stage 1 map) its smoother to drive when cold and it no longer sounds like a tractor on cold starts. Also I noticed that when I installed the afe dci, when I was wot in 1st or 2nd and upshift early and let off the throttle it used to let rip with a vtec type inlet burp/fart it no longer does that which is a good thing!



So now I'm keen to have a dyno run to see what she puts out, being an ex lexus owner I know those guys are having a dyno day at unique autosports next month so it will be great to blow a few IS-F's, also Steve mentioned he attends an occasional wed nite street meets at eastern creek dragway, I will be keen to wack some cheap 17" rims on the rear shod with some nitto drag radials to see what it can run

Once again thanks to Drawn05 for guiding me, I'm now getting familiar with the procede interface and have it setup so I can run a few more logs and make some changes and also check codes if it logs something

On another aspect of the build I'm still debating on installing my wavetrac lsd diff centre along with m3 subframe bushes, links etc etc or to pony up and go with a complete m3 rear end swap. Whilst ultimately I think the m3 swap will be more costly it shall provide some great gains (this is the option I want to go at this stage!)
What would you think you'd be running after everything is all fixed
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #333
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
What would you think you'd be running after everything is all fixed
TBH not 100% certain, but I would hope for 260+
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #334
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

owww hmmm interesting....i think i'm gonna dyno the car next next sat !
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #335
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
owww hmmm interesting....i think i'm gonna dyno the car next next sat !
@ Advan??

Hit up jb4135 and get the G5 iso installed and run E85!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #336
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
@ Advan??

Hit up jb4135 and get the G5 iso installed and run E85!!!
Whats the gain? i'm worried that it will put a lot of strained on the engine. Whats the cost of it?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #337
BMJ
Captain
BMJ's Avatar
9
Rep
897
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

I play it as safe as I can. COBB S1 sport and not a penny more.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #338
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Whats the gain? i'm worried that it will put a lot of strained on the engine. Whats the cost of it?
You already run a jb4 yeh? I believe it would be around $500 fitted (if you sold your old jb for $300 it would be $200 ish)

He ran 264 kw atw dead stock with just the jb4 on e85
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #339
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
You already run a jb4 yeh? I believe it would be around $500 fitted (if you sold your old jb for $300 it would be $200 ish)

He ran 264 kw atw dead stock with just the jb4 on e85
hahahah power is never enough is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #340
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
hahahah power is never enough is it?
Huge BFYB!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #341
Simonaras
Private
0
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
You already run a jb4 yeh? I believe it would be around $500 fitted (if you sold your old jb for $300 it would be $200 ish)

He ran 264 kw atw dead stock with just the jb4 on e85

I could buy the old JB
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #342
kaitan
Major
kaitan's Avatar
20
Rep
1,381
Posts

 
Drives: Bus 11 AKA walking
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonaras View Post
I could buy the old JB
I'll sell u to $500
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #343
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Well I'm now officially bloody broke, I finally bit the bullet and have purchased a E92 M3 complete rear end (sans dampers) and the front hub assembly with rotors calipers etc from a wrecked 2010 M3 with DCT (3:15 ratio which is perfect for 6MT 335I's) with 15000 miles on the odo in the UK.

The vehicle had been torched (so the interior was toast but the drivetrain was OK) no signs of excessive heat (all rubber brake lines etc are fine)

By doing it this way I will have a M3 lsd with beefier drive shafts (less chance of snapping one during launching) upgraded linkages and bushings and the m3 F&R bbk kit and M3 F&R sways (my eibach sways will now be up for sale!).

Rear end ready to be stripped for transportation (looking a tad manky due to a few uk winters):



I was only initially going to purchase the rear end, but when it comes time to purchasing coilovers most companies wont do a custom order of Front 335i and Rear M3 (BC being the exception) so I decided to purchase the front hubs so a m3 coilover kit will fit and the front drilled rotors will match the rear now also.

Front end:



So far there has been a lot of co-ordinating between the wrecker and locating a reputable courier luckily I have a mate who is located in Newbury who has helped me out by placing a shitload of phone calls to not only source the parts from various wreckers but to also co-ordinate the courier.

Like Drawn05 mentioned to me (drawns build thread and being in the shop whilst his car was getting built was the inspiration for me in going ahead with the M3 rear end- details of his build thread here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748574) there are a number of costs to consider once the goods have arrived so this mod certainly isn't for the typical modifier after some cheap BFYB type of mod:

A short run down of costs once you have paid for transportation from the UK:

Port Charge AUD 75.00 per cbm
Terminal Handling AUD 25.00 per cbm
Import Doc Fee AUD 60.00
Delivery Order AUD 60.00
Sea Cargo AUD 20.00
FCMR AUD 35.00
Customs Clearance AUD 125.00
Electronic Entry Fee AUD 70.00

Above excludes any duty or GST applicable

WTF is a electronic entry fee....

I think once this arrives I will strip all 4 hubs down and install new wheel bearings, and clean and polish everything and then have Pete and the boys at advan install everything.

Since the m3 diff sits further out (closer to the engine) the 335i prop shaft must be shortened, but it also has a different mounting flange so a E38 or E39 rear section of the prop shaft must be used. 7 series E38 shafts are dirt cheap online and this one was sent to me for around $150 from Deutschland!



As for coilovers there isnt going to be a great deal of $ left, so I may just buy a cheap set of BC BR's then buy the ohlins R&T coilovers in 12 months time perhaps...

I have found that the ohlins gear provides much better high speed dampening yet also provides a supple oem ride like ride quality (this is why you pay a premium for top shelf stuff) on my aprilia road bike:

ohlins forks revalved and built by Stig & PPS racing in the usa:





Ohlins rear shock assembly with remote preloader:



(ignore the chicken strips on the rear I had just mounted the lightweight OZ rims with tyres a few days beforehand)

Now the wait continues for the long slow journey to have the parts shipped via sea from the UK....

In the meantime I need to find a home for my wavetrac diff that's BNIB!!!

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 04-03-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #344
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
6
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: e92 325i /MB ML350
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (1)

Well done mate! And save your eibach sway bars for me

Last edited by Ben0426; 04-02-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #345
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben0426 View Post
Well done mate! And save your eibach sway bars for me
Haha OK mate sold to you
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #346
_ink
Major
_ink's Avatar
Australia
12
Rep
1,082
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Shane, good luck with your custom exhaust setup. Your biggest challenge is the tone, and if you see how much BMW invest into the tune and tone of their engine/interior/exhausts etc... It's going to be a big feat for you to get this spot on.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #347
JJH_335
Second Lieutenant
JJH_335's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
291
Posts

 
Drives: BSM E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canberra, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Wow .. this build just gets better and better!!! Good luck with it!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #348
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Shane, good luck with your custom exhaust setup. Your biggest challenge is the tone, and if you see how much BMW invest into the tune and tone of their engine/interior/exhausts etc... It's going to be a big feat for you to get this spot on.
Yes thats true, but bmw also have to deal with rules and regulations for ADR's etc I still think that the straight pipe setup of the meisterschaft on Joe's 1M is the best sounding system I have heard on the N54!

On the same token one could say BMW spend countless hours tuning an engine to perform at its best for power fuel economy and durability, but christ how many of us know that the oem tune can be improved upon
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #349
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
Wow .. this build just gets better and better!!! Good luck with it!
Thanks mate, there is still a lot of work involved and I hope to prep everything prior by DIY to cut some costs somewhat.

I will try to document everything for anyone else in future who may wish to proceed with this mod also
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #350
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Unfortunately my car has had a few hiccups with misfiring, so no mucking about i have fresh set of 6 new bosch coils (some guys just replace the single faulty coil, I would much rather prefer to do them all at once) and even though bmw 'changed' my plugs at the last service which was near 12 months ago and only 5-6000 kms a new set of plugs will go in also:

The part # for the plugs are: BOSCH ZGR6STE2 who co-incidentally make the oem bmw plugs and these bmw items have the same part # cast into the electrode hex on the bmw branded plugs albeit with bmw tax $$



Link to Bosch catalogue: http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang...tralia_Web.pdf



The part # for the coils is: 0 221 504 470, once again they produce the oem coils...



Link to bosch catalogue: http://www.bosch.com.au/content/lang..._B_Sect(2).pdf

A thin walled deep socket is required to change the plugs:



This view shows you how far the plugs are recessed:



This video explains the importance of a healthy ignition system and a easy diy procedure:



Once I have the new coils and plugs in, this shall make it easier to trouble shoot my totally random misfire issue if it reoccurs in future.

On another note I have purchased a set of m sport 194 style 17" rims which will be used for the track & strip:







I will purchase a pair of 275/40 NT05R drag radials and then head down to WSID for a run


Last edited by DR-JEKL; 04-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #351
mazaa93
Aramia.
Australia
1
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E93 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I have never owned a turboed car before so I need to get this BOV thing out of my system, oh and errm it shall prolong turbo life by minimising compressor surge.... Also apparently once tuned the oem pipe can come loose!

An 'e92 lighting' full LED interior kit:



mtec rear plate LED's
Can you link me to where you bought both of those items?
The LED interior kit and the rear plate LED's?
Are the rear plate LED's a clean white??

I have an E93, one of my license plate lights has changed to an off white colour, while the yellow interior lighting is just boring lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #352
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,949
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaa93 View Post
Can you link me to where you bought both of those items?
The LED interior kit and the rear plate LED's?
Are the rear plate LED's a clean white??

I have an E93, one of my license plate lights has changed to an off white colour, while the yellow interior lighting is just boring lol.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769819

Those mtec rear LED's are quite expensive (something like $70) but damn they are bloody bright and are a bright white. When you unlock your car at night the plate lights are that bright it lights up the area behind the vehicle.

Installation is pretty damn tedious and fiddly for the cabin lights, just take your time!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST