E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible rough idle question - N54

03-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Blubaron79
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '14 435 XDrive

Possible rough idle question - N54

I am right at 89k miles. Had spark plugs changed for 2nd time 800 miles ago per maint. requirement. Change my oil every 7,500 miles, and had my intakes cleaned about 17k miles ago. (I also have the PPK1 softwate installed) I have noticed when my car is idling when warm or cold there is almost a slight 'shake' maybe once a minute or less, however the RPMs don't dip nor does the exauhst sound like the car is missing.

Could this be due to the recent spark plug change? I know the N54 never runs 100% smooth, but curious if anyone has any ideas what this may be. My dealer will never really look at anything unless it throws a code, and I have no check engine light. Any input would be appreciated!

335 xDrive on order. (needed a 4 door for work..)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
slingxshot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: BMW 2014 528i xDrive

My car has a slight different situation. With temps below 40 degrees (no sun), the car shakes after a 1 mile drive at IDLE. The RPM jumps back and forth.. sometimes violently. Recently I had engine light come in and I brought the car in, they replaced 4 coils and 4 spark plugs. I thought that would fix the car. The only thing it did was make the driver at highway speeds more sensitive. It is getting warm and I am lazy and I don't want to fight the dealer since there are no error codes. I might just wait till next winter till it gets into 20's and bring the car to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
EricP3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335i coupe

I have been told that this is just normal for N54 but I would like to see some more responses on here also. My 335i definitely has a rough idle with the car shaking at stops. It is a little but annoying and just causes me to worry that something is wrong more than anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Blubaron79
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
I have been told that this is just normal for N54 but I would like to see some more responses on here also. My 335i definitely has a rough idle with the car shaking at stops. It is a little but annoying and just causes me to worry that something is wrong more than anything.
Yea. I hear it is normal too. The car still runs wonderful for 89k miles and consumes little to no oil at all. I can't beleive how well this car has held up. Minus a fuel pump and injectors needing replaced.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
fazi13
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Manual

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
maybe the bolts holding the engine into place have come loose? that could cause a bit of a rattling noise.. not sure about when the RPMs violently change
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Blubaron79
Colonel
Rep

Fresh tank of gas and it went away. Maybe it was fuel?

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
mxa121
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M

I mentioned the car ran really rough (one instance where it drove like crap) to the dealer at last service and they immediately thought of fuel. I have switched to QT gas so we will see if the idle clears up.

My idle symptoms are exactly like others here. It has a rough spot once a minute or so that results in a bit of a shake. I feel like it is worse since they replaced my plugs and oil, but I do not really know.
I saw another post that mentioned possible walnut blasting to rid this, anyone else do this with good results?

It is not too bad and doesn't bother me too much, I am just concerned like the rest.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Blubaron79
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121
I mentioned the car ran really rough (one instance where it drove like crap) to the dealer at last service and they immediately thought of fuel. I have switched to QT gas so we will see if the idle clears up.

My idle symptoms are exactly like others here. It has a rough spot once a minute or so that results in a bit of a shake. I feel like it is worse since they replaced my plugs and oil, but I do not really know.
I saw another post that mentioned possible walnut blasting to rid this, anyone else do this with good results?

It is not too bad and doesn't bother me too much, I am just concerned like the rest.
I just had mine walnut blasted less than a year ago. I have only bed running Shell and Exxon fuels since then too.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
AndyR83
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335i FBO

I am trying to figure this problem out at the moment. It feels like my car is misfiring. At idle, there is a bit of sputter and the RPM's dip. you can feel the shake, to the point that passengers that aren't normally in the car have asked about it.

I had walnut blasting done at Helix last month (they were awesome by the way!) I had read threads on here leading me to believe that would fix it, but there was no change in the problem. I am going to get spark plugs done next week, but this thread also leads me to wonder if that will fix it. What else could it be?

I can't accept that this is "normal" because it just started a few weeks ago. I've had the car for a year and a half and it was never like this before.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
DarkNemesis
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan AT, US Car

Blubarron79.
In your post, seems like the car is well maintained.
I had a shake also at idle.
Did the following:
1. Walnut blast. You said you cleaned your 17k ago,..
2. Change out all plugs.
3. Both vanos Solenoids; this didn't much that I could notice... I did it, cause it threw a code for the intake..,.but only once, never repeated for 2 month before I changed them out.
4. Changed the plugs, no major change, but changed all coils, and wow....car is much smoother.
Still a slight shake, but way better than before, car drives like new.
Got the coils and plugs from eBay user: germanpartsonly
His coils were dated the latest, that's what I wanted.

6. Intake and cabin filter along with oil change.

7. This is the first thing I did. 2 tanks back to back with BG44k.
Just to make sure injectors are clean. This stuff is the best.

Try changing all coils, make sure they are not different from each other. Mine 5 were something nobody seen before, but still oem Bosche.

Regards,
DN
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 335i | F30 328i

I just had all the coil packs, injectors and spark plugs replaced for a rough idle on my N54. Cleared it up. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...2#post13768492
      04-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Blubaron79
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Blubarron79.
In your post, seems like the car is well maintained.
I had a shake also at idle.
Did the following:
1. Walnut blast. You said you cleaned your 17k ago,..
2. Change out all plugs.
3. Both vanos Solenoids; this didn't much that I could notice... I did it, cause it threw a code for the intake..,.but only once, never repeated for 2 month before I changed them out.
4. Changed the plugs, no major change, but changed all coils, and wow....car is much smoother.
Still a slight shake, but way better than before, car drives like new.
Got the coils and plugs from eBay user: germanpartsonly
His coils were dated the latest, that's what I wanted.

6. Intake and cabin filter along with oil change.

7. This is the first thing I did. 2 tanks back to back with BG44k.
Just to make sure injectors are clean. This stuff is the best.

Try changing all coils, make sure they are not different from each other. Mine 5 were something nobody seen before, but still oem Bosche.

Regards,
DN
Thank for the help. Weirdly enough the shake went away... I really think I went through a tank of bad fuel. The car seems like it is pulling harder than ever now too. I think I was just getting bad gas from a shady Shell station in the hood..

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Sadiebuc
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i

Sounds like a Coil problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
Bimmertech113
Private
Rep

Drives: None

Carb clean usually helps with this issue. I'm in the Nashville area and can take care of it for anyone that doesn't want to pay dealer prices. Just pm or email me
Appreciate 0