E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > ABS yellow light, DBC failure and runflat light

12-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
Nickc123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335d M-Sport Coupe

all the sensors are working probably the only thing that was noticed is that why the car was moving 3 of the sensors said forward and one said stationary, would this point to a wheel bearing? just irritating as there is no play in the wheel at all
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #24
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 325i e91

Can you swap wheels with some one and than clear fault and try? Maybe is wheels?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #25
Nickc123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Will try that but cant see how it would affect it. Was just trying to work it out before I change the bearing .
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I was thinking same way how it was effected. Because I was driving with fault for more than 6 month, but when I change from 158 to 194 wheels after 20 miles it gone. :
I was planing to change wheel bearing and bought it bearing from bmw for £70. When I checked on bearing it is FAQ made. Have a try with wheels.
At least you got now Christmas light on your dash. and it's Christmas.

Marry Christmas
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #27
T9Gjn
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

I had the same lights come up Automatic Stability Control and Dynamic Brake Control.
I recently had my rear brake pads and censors replaced by BMW dealer.
Could this be lined to the symbols showing?
      12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9Gjn
I had the same lights come up Automatic Stability Control and Dynamic Brake Control.
I recently had my rear brake pads and censors replaced by BMW dealer.
Could this be lined to the symbols showing?
Maybe they accidentally damaged abs sensor. You need to check fault codes. Take it back to stealers and blame them.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #29
T9Gjn
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

will do, have booked it in for next week - just hoping it's safe to drive for now.
      12-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #30
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T9Gjn
will do, have booked it in for next week - just hoping it's safe to drive for now.
It's safe. Just ABS and DTC not working.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #31
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep

Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonukas View Post
Well that's not exactly safe then !

Wet cold and slippy out there .. you wont have any help from the car if you decide to go sideways ! You are effectively running in an E30 now !
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #32
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0timbo0o
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonukas View Post
Well that's not exactly safe then !

Wet cold and slippy out there .. you wont have any help from the car if you decide to go sideways ! You are effectively running in an E30 now !
If person gonna drive like than yes it will be not safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #33
SCS15
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickc123 View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Im having the same issue..came up tonight while driving but wouldn't go away. Also had it pop up roughly a week ago, but then went away after a minute and didn't come back till tonight..

Also, may be unrelated or not, but had some metal on metal grinding that got really loud from front driver brake rotors..had to pull over. Turned the wheel all the way left and right a few times, tried to look behind it with a flashlight but didn't notice anything. Got back in the car, drove about 15 feet and it went away.

And lastly, had to put my stock 18" sport wheels on in the front because my 19" alufelgen cracked. So i have 18s up front and 19s in the rear. Could this cause any issue? (Would have put all my stockies on but the rear tires are flat)

Any help??
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #34
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

SCS15 - if the rolling radius of your 18" wheels on the front axel are different to that on the rear axel then this will bring your ABS Light on as you have now.

The grinding noise, possibly a stone trapped between the brake disc rotor and the back plate ?!
This can easily happen, sometimes sounds horrendous
      01-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #35
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep

Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Has a wheel been off lately?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
Nickc123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Got mine sorted eventually, it turned out to be some muck in the hub quick blow with an airline sorted it out. .Get the fault read, find out what sensor it is and go from there. Other causes are wheel bearings, sensor failure etc. BTW if you fix the fault the light will go out. It does not need resetting it just stores it in the memory..and can be cleared at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
jas0n.mac
Registered
Rep

Drives: e90 320i es

I had this problem a few months ago, all the same lights, it used to come on now and again then suddenly battery was drained. turned out the alternator was over charging the battery so alternator was replaced, soon after lights were coming back but this time steering went heavy with it. when I took it to the garage the battery read normal but they still said it probably had a faulty cell in the battery. Battery was then changed and have not had them lights back since.

Just other problems now. starting to think e90 was not the best choice of a car change
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #38
bavaddict
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

I had the same problem. Here is the summary:

ABS, DTC, Parking brake lights on
Cruise control and hill descent didnt work
Brakes are almost new and pad wear sensors were new

Code: 5DC2

Replaced rear passenger side ABS sensor and lights/codes disappeared for 50miles but then came back on.

Solution:

1) Cleaned the rear passenger hub/bearing/suspension area with brake cleaner + compressed air first
2) Then cleaned with degreaser + pressure washer with hot/warm water
3) Problem solved (1500 miles and no code or lights are back yet)

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
derek2006e92
Rep

Drives: 2006 e92 coupe

had the same problem, changed sensor and still the same, turns out it was a pinhole in the wire after the sensor, spliced wire and rejoined, problem gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #40
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

had the same lights on last year and very difficult to diagnose due to random error codes, turned out to be duff alternator!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #41
moparmar
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 2005 e90 325i SE

Hi all,

My first post, and unfortunately its not under the best circumstances.

I bought my pride and joy last July, a 2005 e90 325i SE auto with idrive pro and black leather sport seats at 53,200 miles. I'm totally in love with her, and having upgraded from a basic 2008 Ford KA, you can imagine the smile on my face when I was driving her home for the first time

I'm currently having a complete nightmare with the traction control system, which is quite frankly ruining "the ultimate driving experience", and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject...

Here's a hopefully not too longwinded history on the problem...

Started back in September time, was doing around 85-90 mph on the motorway (dry conditions) with cruise control on. 30 miles in I get a bong and the ABS DBC and brake warning lights, cruise control has failed, drive off assist inactive and run flat monitor failed. I pull over to a service station and and perform an emergency stop to test the breaking. Hey presto the faults all clear and everything is back to normal.

Cut to late November, i'm at Centerparcs with the family and leave the car sitting in very cold conditions for 5 days, when go to collect her, the DSC is flashing around slow corners and at low speeds going straight, condition btw are wet but not raining. This is all inside the parks premises where the speed limit is 5mph... I think nothing of it... Then on the motorway its a repeat of September. This time the emergency stop trick doesn't work and the lights don't disappear. So, I called the RAC to see if see if they could shed any light on the subject, I also wanted the lights clearing as I was very nervous about driving another 150 miles with no ABS. RAC reads the codes and comes up with rear right wheel speed sensor power supply intermittent. RAC clears the codes and everything is back to normal for the journey home (bar a few flashes of the DSC light at low speeds). I book the car into my local Indy...

That week the car goes into garage, unfortunately the RAC cleared all the fault codes, so there was nothing the Indy to diagnose. They kept it for a day and surmised that the battery was on its way out, which made sense as speed sensor issue was power related. An OEM battery is fitted, as well as two new rear tyres. Car drives fine with no probs for approx. one week.

Following weekend, all hell breaks loose. The DSC is flashing like crazy, at one point causing the car to come to a complete stop! I get so sick of this I hold down the DTC button and turn the DSC off completely and drive fine and smoothly for 3 miles, and bong! ABS DBC and break lights on again, this time I can turn them of with an emergency break. The drive home is accompanied by the flashing DSC light, this time its particularly severe over humps. Back to the Indy, this time with stored codes...

That Monday, they diagnosed that the rear left speed sensor has completely failed and replace with new one, they test drive it for me and all seems fine, they do warn me however that I have a slow puncture on my front drivers side wheel. Whats interesting here is that they found the rear left sensor to have failed, back in November, the RAC had seen problems with right... Its now mid Dec 2013.

Cut to Boxing day and the car has been driving better than ever thanks to the new sensor, however, when I was doing 70mph on the motorway the DSC flutters again, this time, I choose to ignore it.

Since then the DSC has been flashing intermittently, and I've put it down to the new tyres bedding in, also i've factored in that fronts are a different brand to the back (back are conti sport contact 2, fronts are firestone). However its well over 500miles since I got the backs, and with the exception of the slow puncture the fronts are fine with plenty of tred.

This weekend the DSC has gone completely mental again, rendering car undrivable, flashing DSC at both high and low speeds, and also on slow cornering, so, again, I switch off the DSC resulting in the bong, with the ABS, DBC and break warning lights, this time cured by restarting the car and not the emergency break trick. By now this these warnings have only been triggered independently once, the only time these warnings come on is when I turn the DSC off. This brings us to the present and I have the following questing to those who have felt my pain.

1. By what I have described above do you think its the hydro pump? If it is, whats my best option, BMW repair kit or ECU testing refurb? Do the ABS DSC warning lights have to unremovable/permanent for it to have failed?

2. Does this sound like it could be another wheel speed sensor? Possibly the rear right? I have access to trade price parts, is it easy to fit myself?

3. Is this anything to do with my odd tyre set up? (different back to fronts, plus slow puncture). I'm reluctant to get new fronts and i'm always making sure the slow puncture is topped up with air. Even when it is topped up, the DSC still flashes.

4. Does anyone know any good indys in the London area that has experience in getting this sorted.

5. I've read a lot of very helpful posts relating to the above but have never found anyone to have the same specific symptoms as I have had, if anyone has, I would love to here how you got this sorted!

Sorry for the mega long post, any help would be massively appreciated. Once this is resolved I will finally be able to enjoy this car!!! I really want to start modding but I want the problems to be sorted first!

Cheers

Mo
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #42
oldbilly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 330d e91 M Sport

from my experience with the dtc abs and runflat error lights and random codes, have the alternator checked as on mine it was charging intermittenly cause the errors light to appear.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #43
bavaddict
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 335i

First and foremost have the codes read and i possible perform test plan of ABS/DTC in DIS to see what values are being recieved from sensor on wheel bearing to the reciever (abs sensor you recieved).

Until then you are chasing gremlins and you may end up spending more $$ and brain cells

My 2 cents! And YMMV.

FYI...similar issue i have been dealing with code 5dc2 and problem was resolved by aggressively cleaning the wheel hug and suspension area with degreaser and brake cleaner. See post # 38 above.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmar View Post
Hi all,

My first post, and unfortunately its not under the best circumstances.

I bought my pride and joy last July, a 2005 e90 325i SE auto with idrive pro and black leather sport seats at 53,200 miles. I'm totally in love with her, and having upgraded from a basic 2008 Ford KA, you can imagine the smile on my face when I was driving her home for the first time

I'm currently having a complete nightmare with the traction control system, which is quite frankly ruining "the ultimate driving experience", and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject...

Here's a hopefully not too longwinded history on the problem...

Started back in September time, was doing around 85-90 mph on the motorway (dry conditions) with cruise control on. 30 miles in I get a bong and the ABS DBC and brake warning lights, cruise control has failed, drive off assist inactive and run flat monitor failed. I pull over to a service station and and perform an emergency stop to test the breaking. Hey presto the faults all clear and everything is back to normal.

Cut to late November, i'm at Centerparcs with the family and leave the car sitting in very cold conditions for 5 days, when go to collect her, the DSC is flashing around slow corners and at low speeds going straight, condition btw are wet but not raining. This is all inside the parks premises where the speed limit is 5mph... I think nothing of it... Then on the motorway its a repeat of September. This time the emergency stop trick doesn't work and the lights don't disappear. So, I called the RAC to see if see if they could shed any light on the subject, I also wanted the lights clearing as I was very nervous about driving another 150 miles with no ABS. RAC reads the codes and comes up with rear right wheel speed sensor power supply intermittent. RAC clears the codes and everything is back to normal for the journey home (bar a few flashes of the DSC light at low speeds). I book the car into my local Indy...

That week the car goes into garage, unfortunately the RAC cleared all the fault codes, so there was nothing the Indy to diagnose. They kept it for a day and surmised that the battery was on its way out, which made sense as speed sensor issue was power related. An OEM battery is fitted, as well as two new rear tyres. Car drives fine with no probs for approx. one week.

Following weekend, all hell breaks loose. The DSC is flashing like crazy, at one point causing the car to come to a complete stop! I get so sick of this I hold down the DTC button and turn the DSC off completely and drive fine and smoothly for 3 miles, and bong! ABS DBC and break lights on again, this time I can turn them of with an emergency break. The drive home is accompanied by the flashing DSC light, this time its particularly severe over humps. Back to the Indy, this time with stored codes...

That Monday, they diagnosed that the rear left speed sensor has completely failed and replace with new one, they test drive it for me and all seems fine, they do warn me however that I have a slow puncture on my front drivers side wheel. Whats interesting here is that they found the rear left sensor to have failed, back in November, the RAC had seen problems with right... Its now mid Dec 2013.

Cut to Boxing day and the car has been driving better than ever thanks to the new sensor, however, when I was doing 70mph on the motorway the DSC flutters again, this time, I choose to ignore it.

Since then the DSC has been flashing intermittently, and I've put it down to the new tyres bedding in, also i've factored in that fronts are a different brand to the back (back are conti sport contact 2, fronts are firestone). However its well over 500miles since I got the backs, and with the exception of the slow puncture the fronts are fine with plenty of tred.

This weekend the DSC has gone completely mental again, rendering car undrivable, flashing DSC at both high and low speeds, and also on slow cornering, so, again, I switch off the DSC resulting in the bong, with the ABS, DBC and break warning lights, this time cured by restarting the car and not the emergency break trick. By now this these warnings have only been triggered independently once, the only time these warnings come on is when I turn the DSC off. This brings us to the present and I have the following questing to those who have felt my pain.

1. By what I have described above do you think its the hydro pump? If it is, whats my best option, BMW repair kit or ECU testing refurb? Do the ABS DSC warning lights have to unremovable/permanent for it to have failed?

2. Does this sound like it could be another wheel speed sensor? Possibly the rear right? I have access to trade price parts, is it easy to fit myself?

3. Is this anything to do with my odd tyre set up? (different back to fronts, plus slow puncture). I'm reluctant to get new fronts and i'm always making sure the slow puncture is topped up with air. Even when it is topped up, the DSC still flashes.

4. Does anyone know any good indys in the London area that has experience in getting this sorted.

5. I've read a lot of very helpful posts relating to the above but have never found anyone to have the same specific symptoms as I have had, if anyone has, I would love to here how you got this sorted!

Sorry for the mega long post, any help would be massively appreciated. Once this is resolved I will finally be able to enjoy this car!!! I really want to start modding but I want the problems to be sorted first!

Cheers

Mo
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #44
moparmar
Registered
Rep

Drives: BMW 2005 e90 325i SE

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me Bavaddict, I'll get the codes checked ASAP, i'll get my sleeves rolled up and get cleaning! I'm also going to change rear right ABS sensor.

Fingers crossed, it'll all be sorted soon, then I can get on to the fun modding!!!

Thanks again guys, I'll defo keep you posted on the progress.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0