E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BAN Priuses on HWY

04-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #23
techietaichi
Captain

Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTuning View Post
95% of Prius drivers have ego problem.
Yes, they believe they're in some way saving the world. They should ride bikes instead.
      04-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #24
Dozhdbog
Major

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Good lord, get over yourselves. Prius drivers are no better or worse than drivers of any other car.

You want to know which drivers get a bad rap pretty much across the globe? BMW drivers.
      04-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #25
alexwhittemore
Major

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
Yes, they believe they're in some way saving the world. They should ride bikes instead.
On a pure carbon basis, bikes are obviously much better. But the emissions standards are much lower, so the other bad exhaust components are much worse, even compared to a car. Personally, I'd care sooner about the former than the latter, but it's not as big a win as you'd think, depending on your metric.

Anyway, in general I don't have anything against priuses or prius drivers. And really, I encounter this problem pretty regularly without a disproportionate number of offenders being priuses.

In general, I hate passing on the right, and I HATE it when people pass me on the right - knowing that you need to pay attention in front of you when changing to the right and that you need to pay attention behind you when you're changing to the left is sort of a critical safety aspect - you can't look both in front and behind at the same time.

But in socal, with 14-lane highways, everything's a complete fucking free-for-all anyway, so passing on the right? Screw it. anything goes.

I will say this: it's unbelievably annoying when someone's in the left lane in front of you. But how often do you personally travel in the right except to pass? I know when I'm in a situation that warrants it, it's hard to consciously make myself move to the right. Nobody ever wants to be in the "slow lane" with merging traffic, and on a 3 lane highway that means if you're doing it right, you have to move two lanes to pass. Nobody ever thinks that someone will come up behind them when they're doing the speed limit, 5, maybe 10 over. But there's always someone who does, and when you're in the left lane, you're the one being the dick.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Good lord, get over yourselves. Prius drivers are no better or worse than drivers of any other car.

You want to know which drivers get a bad rap pretty much across the globe? BMW drivers.
yes. This.
      04-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #26
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Yeah, I hate those people. Prius or not. It is the Law in Illinois to move over and not drive in the left lane when the right lane is open. We also have a Law that states one cannot block traffic in the left lane by driving slow intentionally but unfortunately these are not enforced.

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is online now   United_States
      04-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #27
Sethism
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 328i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yeah, I hate those people. Prius or not. It is the Law in Illinois to move over and not drive in the left lane when the right lane is open. We also have a Law that states one cannot block traffic in the left lane by driving slow intentionally but unfortunately these are not enforced.

Illinois drivers are the worst I've ever seen.

The worst thing ever is a short uphill freeway ramp with a Prius in front of you. Hell on Earth.
      04-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #28
Marsden
Chief Petty Officer

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post

Thank you. FWIW I never see Prius drivers doing what's described in the OP.

SUV drivers, OTOH, every single day of my life. And they're usually on the phone, lost in their spacious cocoons. We're all extras in their Movie of Life.
      04-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #29
rondocap
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Sedan

I have a Prius and drive a lot - average 55 mpg, and save probably $250-300 a month on gas. It's not a bad car when used right, but obviously the BMW is much more fun to drive.
      04-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #30
derryck
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I got pulled by a state trooper a few months back. He claimed I passed several cars on the right.

My first question... was I speeding?

He said: "No"

So I said should I go below the speed limit so I dont pass anyone in the right lane?

He told me to have a nice day and walked back to his car... LOL

Perhaps the people in the left lane, not yielding to the right when they are not passing should be pulled over.....
I have been ticketed for this (passing on the right) twice in Florida, the left lane is not meant for slower traffic and is intended for passing. I agree 100% that people traveling in the left lane under the speed limit that do not yield to those passing should also be ticketed.
derryck is offline   United_States
      04-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #31
Gizm0
Major

Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel335 View Post
I love downshifting next to Prius drivers so they can hear me hurting the environment.
My previous car was a 6 speed Nissan Maxima with full bolt on, no catalytic converter and ran a little rich. I used to do that to the slow left lane Prius drivers, get around them, slow down in front of them, downshift and floor it to piss em off... black smoke and fuel smell
Gizm0 is offline   United_States
      04-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
TittoBlunt
Private

Drives: 2007 328i, 2013 328i M-Sport

If it gets bad enough, I'll pull in front of the Prius slow down to 30-40 and force them to change lanes to "pass" me and then just take off. Works all the time.
      04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
Hyper_545i
Private

Drives: 545i

The point is, Prius or not, the left lane is for passing! I could careless if there are 10 free open lanes. Passing on the right is illegal! If I see someone coming up on me and I am in the left lane, regardless of what speed I am driving, I move over to let them pass. Most drivers just sit in the left lane and think it is their God given right to just sit there. If your not passing someone.......MOVE OVER!
      04-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #34
Blubaron79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 435 XDrive

I pass more people in the right lane anymore.
      04-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #35
Bighorns
bimmer newb

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I'll take whatever is available when passing. We have highways and cars that can handle much higher speeds than we are allowed, but I fear that speed limits are 'dumbed down' for the least skilled among us. I would like to see the Autobahn model enforced here: no limit in the left lane, and slower traffic is to move over and yield.
Bighorns is offline   United_States
      04-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
Gizm0
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I'll take whatever is available when passing. We have highways and cars that can handle much higher speeds than we are allowed, but I fear that speed limits are 'dumbed down' for the least skilled among us. I would like to see the Autobahn model enforced here: no limit in the left lane, and slower traffic is to move over and yield.
... Or get rear ended
      04-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #37
LuisBoston
Major

Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
This morning I'm driving on a 2-lane HWY speed limit 55. Left lane is blocked by a Prius driving or in Prius lingo hipermiling around 50. Right lane is empty for 1/2 mile and the fucker did not move. As usual I drive in the right lane most of the time cause the left one is blocked. Do you guys notice that other folks on the road are in slow motion, I mean everything they do. Somebody gives a turning signal it takes forever for people to move over. Who gives driving licenses to these idiots!? Just needed to vent a bit ...
Please. Here in Mass. everyone drives in the left lane. In fact, most of the time the right lane is has the least amount of traffic.

Don't blame Prii either. Drivers of all makes and models do it.

And "Prius pricks"? Really? Get a grip and grow up. You're (the one who said it) the reason we get such a bad rap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
My previous car was a 6 speed Nissan Maxima with full bolt on, no catalytic converter and ran a little rich. I used to do that to the slow left lane Prius drivers, get around them, slow down in front of them, downshift and floor it to piss em off... black smoke and fuel smell
Real mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTuning View Post
95% of Prius drivers have ego problem.
you don't?
      04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
Gizm0
Major

04-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #39
Bighorns
bimmer newb

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I'll admit that I have an ego problem, or else I would just drive a Yaris. But people who block the left lane have a different sort of ego problem: self-righteousness.
Bighorns is offline   United_States
      04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #40
Gizm0
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
I'll admit that I have an ego problem, or else I would just drive a Yaris. But people who block the left lane have a different sort of ego problem: self-righteousness.
Not sure it's an ego problem... You drive a 335i because you like a car that goes fast... If you had an ego problem, you'd buy a bimmer just for looks and you'd be driving the 328i.
      04-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #41
Rookie83
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_545i View Post
The point is, Prius or not, the left lane is for passing! I could careless if there are 10 free open lanes. Passing on the right is illegal! If I see someone coming up on me and I am in the left lane, regardless of what speed I am driving, I move over to let them pass. Most drivers just sit in the left lane and think it is their God given right to just sit there. If your not passing someone.......MOVE OVER!
this^
      04-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

I have the opposite problem here. There is a guy who drives a Prius like a bat out of hell. He blows by me all the time all while still getting 40mpg I'm sure.
      04-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #43
Foghorn
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
Please. Here in Mass. everyone drives in the left lane. In fact, most of the time the right lane is has the least amount of traffic.

Don't blame Prii either. Drivers of all makes and models do it.
Ha, I was in Boston with my wife last year and came up on an old lady driving a Corolla in the left lane, no traffic on the right. She would not move over for anything, I finally passed her on the right which prompted her to honk at me and speed up!
Foghorn is offline   Canada
      04-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
Clammy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
This morning I'm driving on a 2-lane HWY speed limit 55. Left lane is blocked by a Prius driving or in Prius lingo hipermiling around 50. Right lane is empty for 1/2 mile and the fucker did not move. As usual I drive in the right lane most of the time cause the left one is blocked. Do you guys notice that other folks on the road are in slow motion, I mean everything they do. Somebody gives a turning signal it takes forever for people to move over. Who gives driving licenses to these idiots!? Just needed to vent a bit ...
The car isn't really relevant. It's the "drivers". I call them "Left Lane Losers", and ottawa is choked with them. It's to the point now, that I don't even bother trying to get them to move over anymore. Just hit the gas and pass them in whatever free lane there is. It REALLY pisses me off when they're plodding along in the left lane while the other lanes are full of slower traffic... times like that, I wish I had a Hummer with a crash bar...

Cheers!