E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Montego Blue e90 M3 Rep Front Bumper with OEM M3 Front Ducts

04-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant

Drives: Montego 335i e90

Montego Blue e90 M3 Rep Front Bumper with OEM M3 Front Ducts

So I've had an Mtech rear with the BMW Performance/335is diffusor for a while thanks to my ham handed reversing in a parking garage, a concrete pillar, and an insurance claim:

but until now I've had the stock front, because I told myself i wouldnt do any mods until I paid off the car:

I paid off the car in February

I ordered the bumper from ModMy3 and OEM M3 ducts from ECS. The products and service from both were great. MM3's shipper completely flubbed the shipment and lost my bumper before finding it in a likely frozen warehouse in Ohio. Marie at MM3 was great at handling the shipping issues and MM3 refunded most of my shipping cost even though their shipper didnt give them anything back.

I dont like the look of the foglights that came with the M3 rep and i had seen some guys do OEM M3 ducts on e92s on here, but not many on an e90. I also wanted to keep functionality on the passenger side for the oil cooler and keep potential for an a Mr. 5-style intake fed by the driver side ducting.

So, not thinking myself and my dremel up to the task, i took it to Magnum Collision in Marietta, GA. Magnum is probably the best body shop in the Southeast. They made their name working on Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Astons, Bentleys, etc, etc. There was a Lexus LFA in the parking lot and a Porche Cup car in the workshop, not to mention the 5-10 Ferraris being worked on when i dropped my 335 off, so it was a bit like killing a gnat with a bazooka.

I worked with Curtis, who was great at handling my nagging phone calls and control freakish concern with keeping the ducts as functional as possible. If you're in Atlanta and need work on your car, go to these guys. Here's the after:

About that ducting. The stock M3 ducting fits the M3 bumper rep inlets, but it needs to be modified to meet up with the oil cooler on the drivers side and to fit in the gap behind the bumper on passenger side. There's been a lot of discussion on here about it, but most people have just dremeled off most of the duct and left it pointing at the oil cooler and the driver wheel well. As i said above wanted to keep the oil cooler system closed, so I left it to Magnum to figure that out.

They came up with riveting some black plastic sections on to the upper parts of the ducting behind the bumper. As far as i can tell the oil cooler is still running at 100%, normal engine temps under hard driving.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

I also had the rear replaced because someone hit me with a shopping cart in a parking lot

Oh i also did the black grilles while i was at it. Great to have the front finally match the rear.

Anyone want to buy a stock e90 front bumper?

Last edited by Deep_Blue; 04-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.
      04-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant

Im getting nervous about scraping the front on steep inclines, but i dont want to shell out $500-600 for a custom clear bra.

Has anyone done a DIY film protector for the underside of their bumper? Thinking it should be easy enough to trace out. Any other ideas?
      04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant

Man, 200 views and no responses?? This is a tough crowd to engage! I know its the same as a million other M3 reps out there, but pure silence?

If anyone has done a custom clear bra protector for the underside of their bumper I would love to take a look. Browsing Amazon for some film rolls and thinking about cutting out a segment to hopefully keep the underside from inevitable doom on a parking barrier
      04-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10

looks great but i would have done lci hood/bumper

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   United_States
      07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
ajn3323
Registered

Drives: 335i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post

I also had the rear replaced because someone hit me with a shopping cart in a parking lot

Oh i also did the black grilles while i was at it. Great to have the front finally match the rear.

Anyone want to buy a stock e90 front bumper?
Looks good - where did you buy the rear bumper from? Sorry do not have any referrals or experience w/clearbra...
      09-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
YBMB
First Lieutenant

Drives: like James May

Looks great debating whether to do LCI front conversion with m3 bumper or standard lci or pre lci M3 bumper.
YBMB is offline   Japan