E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > First time at the track with the D.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
335dM
Major
24
Rep
1,040
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Lsd + meth but i have meth and removed it yesterday because I'm afraid of rusting parts on the inside of engine. If I would have lots of guts, I would run 100% meth but I'm afraid about that too :~
If you want, i will buy your meth kit
Humm ill investigate more about rust and will let you know
It's the snowperformance mpg kit with the AEM electronic controller
Everything is there
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #24
hrc630
Private
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335d 2009
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
Humm ill investigate more about rust and will let you know
It's the snowperformance mpg kit with the AEM electronic controller
Everything is there
Ok, let me know. I want to work on my car asap
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #25
torqueisking
Enlisted Member
Canada
1
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 335D Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
Hi, yesturday i have made some pass with the 335d at Napierville Dragway.
My best time was 13.4 @ 104 mph.
My car have JBD set @ 100%

1st pass, 13.7 @ 103 mph (2.26 60ft)
2nd pass 13.5 @ 104 mph (2.22 60ft)
3nd pass 13.5 @ 102 mph (2.11 60ft)
4th pass 13.4 @ 104 mph (1.98 60ft)
5th pass 13.8 @ 102 mph (2.16 60ft)
6th pass 13.5 @ 103 mph (2.12 60ft)

The track was very cold and the car slip even in 3rd gear. (slip a lot more than in the street). Very difficult to make a good 60".
All car have a lot of difficulty to hook up at the line.

I am sure with a sticky track, 13 flat would be possible but i really want the car to do at least mid 12 sec...and 107-109 mph... Now its time for more mods. (Meth or a little of nos for the track day.

Who have fast 335d in US or Canada ? I really want to put more power as i plan to hit the track at least 1 time/week...


How did you launch the car if you don't mind my asking?

D? DS? 1st gear? Brake stand to xxxxRPM? If manual shift, what RPM? Tire PSI?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
hrc630
Private
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335d 2009
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking View Post
How did you launch the car if you don't mind my asking?

D? DS? 1st gear? Brake stand to xxxxRPM? If manual shift, what RPM? Tire PSI?
Always start in 2nd gear, brake boost to about 1800 rpm. On the street i brake boost to 2300 with no problem, but to slipery at the drag that day.
Manual shift to 4500rpm. Next time i will try to shift at 4000-4200 rpm and drop the tire pressure from 42 to 25.
I have made this 6 pass in less than 25 minutes total, so i have not make a lot of test !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #27
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
Always start in 2nd gear, brake boost to about 1800 rpm. On the street i brake boost to 2300 with no problem, but to slipery at the drag that day.
Manual shift to 4500rpm. Next time i will try to shift at 4000-4200 rpm and drop the tire pressure from 42 to 25.
I have made this 6 pass in less than 25 minutes total, so i have not make a lot of test !!!
Interesting. These numbers are pretty well off from what some others have reported w/JBD@100. Wat kind of mileage is on your car (curiousity)?
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
hrc630
Private
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335d 2009
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Interesting. These numbers are pretty well off from what some others have reported w/JBD@100. Wat kind of mileage is on your car (curiousity)?
What is off ??? What is the other number ?

My car have 45,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
What is off ??? What is the other number ?

My car have 45,000 miles
I feel as if I was seeing reports of low 13s on street tires a while ago and as low as 12.9 on drags. Do you Think the tracks traction issues would account for the delta?

I asked mileage because I have about 52k on mine an have noticed a small reduction in power since new. It still pulls like a banshee and shocks anyone else in the car, but its not the young buck it once was. I wish I would've dynoed when new for a baseline, but I am considering dumping before and after intake cleaning service to see if we can quantifying the validity of my perception of losses.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
hrc630
Private
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335d 2009
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I feel as if I was seeing reports of low 13s on street tires a while ago and as low as 12.9 on drags. Do you Think the tracks traction issues would account for the delta?

I asked mileage because I have about 52k on mine an have noticed a small reduction in power since new. It still pulls like a banshee and shocks anyone else in the car, but its not the young buck it once was. I wish I would've dynoed when new for a baseline, but I am considering dumping before and after intake cleaning service to see if we can quantifying the validity of my perception of losses.
I have not seen time below mid 13 AT THE TRACK on any forum. The only one with just a JBD that have run below 13 is hotrod182 and is time is from a racelogic datalogger. On a data logger i also run high 12 sec.... but at the track its different... I am sure with drags tire i can run 13 flat. The traction is definetly an issue the day i have try the track. I have only see one other 335d with JBD here and it was a 2011 with 9,000 miles. On the highway i take 2 car lenght on him so i think my car is ok.
Also i have check my intake and no carbon build up
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

After several failed attempts to launch my car at the strip (MIR) running all-season tires, I turned the traction control "on" and launched the car with no brake boost and achieved my best time - 13.7 (I don't recall my trap).

Similar to your experience, while brake boosting w/all traction nannies off, all my car did was spin-out in the box and for the first 30 ft of the run. I tried everything from dropping the RPM's to feathering the gas peddle, but even feathering the peddle resulted in excessive spinning while underway.

Next time I go I will have dedicated track tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
335dFan's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,082
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon (near Portland)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I feel as if I was seeing reports of low 13s on street tires a while ago and as low as 12.9 on drags. Do you Think the tracks traction issues would account for the delta?

I asked mileage because I have about 52k on mine an have noticed a small reduction in power since new. It still pulls like a banshee and shocks anyone else in the car, but its not the young buck it once was. I wish I would've dynoed when new for a baseline, but I am considering dumping before and after intake cleaning service to see if we can quantifying the validity of my perception of losses.
Rotor, see my PM.
__________________
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
I have not seen time below mid 13 AT THE TRACK on any forum. The only one with just a JBD that have run below 13 is hotrod182 and is time is from a racelogic datalogger. On a data logger i also run high 12 sec.... but at the track its different... I am sure with drags tire i can run 13 flat. The traction is definetly an issue the day i have try the track. I have only see one other 335d with JBD here and it was a 2011 with 9,000 miles. On the highway i take 2 car lenght on him so i think my car is ok.
Also i have check my intake and no carbon build up
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
After several failed attempts to launch my car at the strip (MIR) running all-season tires, I turned the traction control "on" and launched the car with no brake boost and achieved my best time - 13.7 (I don't recall my trap).

Similar to your experience, while brake boosting w/all traction nannies off, all my car did was spin-out in the box and for the first 30 ft of the run. I tried everything from dropping the RPM's to feathering the gas peddle, but even feathering the peddle resulted in excessive spinning while underway.

Next time I go I will have dedicated track tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Rotor, see my PM.
All very good knowledge. Hrc, i thinkthat you are correct in hat i may be tnking of hotrods posts. why the disperaty between the datalogger and track? Traction, accuracy, or both?

So is the verdict that we are a lot better off using dedicated drags at a drag strip? It almost makes me glad that I missed MIR the last time I intended to go...not really, but sort of.

DFan, I agree. I'm 80% confident in my butt dyno. I am also curious to know if the dme adapts to the JBD over time.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Try resetting your adaptations and see what happens.

Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button – foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-16-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #35
hrc630
Private
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335d 2009
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Try resetting your adaptations and see what happens.

Here it is; How to do a TBA: Throttle Body Adaptation reset.
Resetting the Adaptive Driver Memory for the transmission.

Works with any car that has Driver Adaptive Electronic Controlled Transmission.

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.
2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position, the position just before the starter turns over. BMW: press start button foot off brake - all idiot lights on.
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position. BMW: All idiot lights on.
4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off position". BMW: foot off brake press start button - all idiot lights now off (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
5. Wait a full 2 minutes for a full electronic alignment. Don't remove the key.
6. Start engine, drive the car, notice the difference.

Do you think the ecu adapt to the JBD and with time the performance decrease ???
I dont think since my car have the JBD for 10,000 km now and the result on a pull with my friends S4 are alays the same. Also my 0-100 mph is always the same when timing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
Do you think the ecu adapt to the JBD and with time the performance decrease ???
I dont think since my car have the JBD for 10,000 km now and the result on a pull with my friends S4 are alays the same. Also my 0-100 mph is always the same when timing it.
No.

I was merely suggesting to FR to try resetting his adaptations if he feels like the throttle response isn't what it use to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #37
torqueisking
Enlisted Member
Canada
1
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 335D Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
Always start in 2nd gear, brake boost to about 1800 rpm. On the street i brake boost to 2300 with no problem, but to slipery at the drag that day.
Manual shift to 4500rpm. Next time i will try to shift at 4000-4200 rpm and drop the tire pressure from 42 to 25.
I have made this 6 pass in less than 25 minutes total, so i have not make a lot of test !!!
thank you

I think your times will drop when the weather warms up
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Try resetting your adaptations and see what happens.
Thanks, cssnms. I'll give it a shot. I get the feeling i may have carbon because of the mileage I had on the car before they got all if the EGR & reprogram stuff handled, but who knows. Perhaps I've just gotten used to the torque? Without any firm data its hard to say. If i really want to figure it out, I'll have to get it on a dyno and make some changes to see if I can substantiate any of my suspicions. Even my wife said to me tonight on a drive that my "car isn't as annoying as it used to be because it used to throw [her] head into the seat every time I accelerated."
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
Do you think the ecu adapt to the JBD and with time the performance decrease ???
I also doubt it, but the thought has crossed my mind. I don't think it would fully adapt it out,but it is possible that it could curb the results somewhat...I don't understand enough about these things to really hypothesize on it, though.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #39
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
335dFan's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,082
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon (near Portland)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Thanks, cssnms. I'll give it a shot. I get the feeling i may have carbon because of the mileage I had on the car before they got all if the EGR & reprogram stuff handled, but who knows. Perhaps I've just gotten used to the torque? Without any firm data its hard to say. If i really want to figure it out, I'll have to get it on a dyno and make some changes to see if I can substantiate any of my suspicions. Even my wife said to me tonight on a drive that my "car isn't as annoying as it used to be because it used to throw [her] head into the seat every time I accelerated."

I also doubt it, but the thought has crossed my mind. I don't think it would fully adapt it out,but it is possible that it could curb the results somewhat...I don't understand enough about these things to really hypothesize on it, though.
Rotor, I guess we need to go race somewhere and settle this once and for all. We can't have this weighing on your mind now can we?
__________________
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).

Last edited by 335dFan; 04-17-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Clarify object of sentence
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #40
hrc630
Private
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335d 2009
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I guess we need to go race somewhere and settle this once and for all. We can't have this weighing on your mind now can we?
I will hit the track at least 1 time per week for the next 6 month so i think i will have some data !

Last edited by hrc630; 04-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST