E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > BORING Sports steering wheel --->M3 Steering Wheel with DCT Extended paddle shifters

04-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Every Package

Garage List
BORING Sports steering wheel --->M3 Steering Wheel with DCT Extended paddle shifters

did the whole swap in 15 mins, everything was Plug and Play, reused the trim(only tempoary, M trim coming on next monday),MF buttons and airbag,the M3 tri-stitch wheel feel so much better than my sports one, and the extended paddle shifters looks and feels so much better as well, and for once i felt it shift faster!
This is indeed the best mod ever, the whole thing cose me only $480. now the paddle is left-downshift right-upshift, I have a sport wheel with push/pull paddle shifters for sale, let me know if anyone wants it~~~
1st pic: old wheel with regular paddle but CF wrapped.
2nd pic: regular M3 DCT paddles --> M3 DCT extended paddles swap
3rd pic: preping the M3 wheel for swap
4th pic: view from behind the wheel
final pic: just had to take a picture of the final product~~~ and share it with u guys~~~~ or else i wouldnt be here to just TEASE u guys~~~

Attached Images

Jet Black 07 335i coupe(July/2006 build date) Fully Loaded {Procede v5, BMW Performance Exhaust, ETS FMIC 7",Vishnu DCI} [M3 Rep front, M3 Rep Sideskirts,M3 OEM side mirrors with CF mirror cap, OEM M3 DCT wheel with Extended Paddle shifters, Red Air Scoop, OEM Performance Spoiler, OEM LCI Tail lights, F10 style matte black side marker, Matte Black Kidney Grill, Matte Black Window trim, CF interior Wrap, Blue and White CF badge all around)

Last edited by Kalulu; 04-17-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Kalulu is offline   United_States
      04-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
styler
Private

Drives: E46 M3 & E90 LCI 330i

nice mod, i'm thinking of changing my paddles so. But i have M sport wheel with the perforated trim, so want to keep that. Like the extended paddles!
styler is offline   United Kingdom
      04-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers

Drives: 2009 e90 2011 f10

the (+) on the right and the (-) on the left function properly? Can these just be added to the Steptronic with paddle shift where we have the same wheel as you did initially?

2009 MBM 328| ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 Jet Black 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is online now   United_States
      04-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
e90ftw
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
the (+) on the right and the (-) on the left function properly? Can these just be added to the Steptronic with paddle shift where we have the same wheel as you did initially?
They are a straight swap for the push-pull paddles. Right paddle goes up, left goes down.
      04-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90ftw View Post
They are a straight swap for the push-pull paddles. Right paddle goes up, left goes down.
Can these be swapped out without removing the airbag?

04-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
CasperSYTFU
SYTFU Crew

Drives: 2010 Toyota FJ

Garage List
Quote:
Can these be swapped out without removing the airbag?
Nope.
      04-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
rattmobbins
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

Quote:
Push-pull paddles???

I've got the standard paddles on my car now and they're not push-pull. Right upshifts and left downshifts, just like OP said the M3 ones do.

What am I missing?
      04-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
McAuley7
@McAuley7

Drives: 2007 328i

Nice I'd love to do this no $ haha
      04-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
e90ftw
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Push-pull paddles???

I've got the standard paddles on my car now and they're not push-pull. Right upshifts and left downshifts, just like OP said the M3 ones do.

What am I missing?
I'm refering to the stock paddles in OP's 1st picture. 2011 cars have m3 style +/- paddles.
      04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
.fLip.
no more coupe :(

Drives: e90

that looks great. i really need a new steering wheel. the stock wheel is SO boring.
      04-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
rattmobbins
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

Quote:
I'm refering to the stock paddles in OP's 1st picture. 2011 cars have m3 style +/- paddles.
Ahhh I see.
      04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, it's PnP
Jet Black 07 335i coupe(July/2006 build date) Fully Loaded {Procede v5, BMW Performance Exhaust, ETS FMIC 7",Vishnu DCI} [M3 Rep front, M3 Rep Sideskirts,M3 OEM side mirrors with CF mirror cap, OEM M3 DCT wheel with Extended Paddle shifters, Red Air Scoop, OEM Performance Spoiler, OEM LCI Tail lights, F10 style matte black side marker, Matte Black Kidney Grill, Matte Black Window trim, CF interior Wrap, Blue and White CF badge all around)
      04-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Push-pull paddles???

What am I missing?
if u have the -/+ paddle(the black with chrome trim type), then u cant just swap out, u either rewire it urself or buy a retrofit kit from one the the vendor here(i forgot which one and it exist)
      04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by .fLip. View Post
that looks great. i really need a new steering wheel. the stock wheel is SO boring.
Thx, im so in love with my wheel and paddles right now, u have to get it and use it to know exactly how i feel
      04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperSYTFU View Post
Nope.
well.. if you can have someone hold the airbag up and not disconnect the wire then u can remove the paddles without disconnect ur battery or airbag, but it's really hard and not a lot space to work with.
      04-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic777 View Post
Nice I'd love to do this no $ haha
at first i thought i wouldnt be doing this, but then luck is on my side, i was able to get a brand new M3 wheel off a local guy for a really cheap price, and paddles from a member in canada for cheap, so u never know, and good luck to u~~

Last edited by Kalulu; 04-17-2013 at 01:57 PM.
      04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers

so to do this, first i need the DCT paddles with wiring, then i can get the extended paddles? can be a steep price for that. bummer.

04-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
so to do this, first i need the DCT paddles with wiring, then i can get the extended paddles? can be a steep price for that. bummer.
do you have the same sports steering wheel with paddle shifters like mine in the 1st picture? if yes then the DCT paddles will be plug and play, but the cutout for the steering wheel is different, so there will be a small gap if u put the DCT paddle on a regular sports steering wheel, and for the extended paddles i got my from Modmy3 for $70, and there is a DIY on youtube that you can search to how to change the M3 DCT paddles to DCT extended paddles(keyword: M3 DCT extended paddles swap)
and i included a picture to show both DCT and extended DCT would look like side by side
Attached Images

05-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
UKBasketball
Private First Class

Drives: 09 E92 328xi

Will my standard chrome sport package paddles (same as in first pic) fit the slots in the M3 tri stitched steering wheel, or would I have to buy the dct paddles?

I'm about to buy a new wheel, but I would love to have the tri stitched m3 one vs the perforated m sport wheel. Just want to keep my current paddles if they will fit the new m3 wheel.
      05-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
svg95gt
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 E90 ZSP

Quote:
Is that true for pre-LCI too? I have the sport wheel with paddles and would love to swap!
      05-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBasketball View Post
Will my standard chrome sport package paddles (same as in first pic) fit the slots in the M3 tri stitched steering wheel, or would I have to buy the dct paddles?

I'm about to buy a new wheel, but I would love to have the tri stitched m3 one vs the perforated m sport wheel. Just want to keep my current paddles if they will fit the new m3 wheel.
they wont fit, cause M3 with DCT cutout are design to fit the DCT paddles only
      05-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
Kalulu
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg95gt View Post
Is that true for pre-LCI too? I have the sport wheel with paddles and would love to swap!
it's PnP for Pre LCI