E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMW Performance Exhaust = 335is exhaust??



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
mesropb23
Lieutenant
 
mesropb23's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 594
iTrader: (6)

BMW Performance Exhaust = 335is exhaust??

Can anyone confirm this?
mesropb23 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
 
Jason4486's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miami, Fl

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

I believe that The 335is has a specially tunes IS exhaust.Therefore it cannot be the same as the performance exhaust for the 335i. I have been wondering about this myself for a while but I am convinced that they are two different exhausts because the 335is has the identical style tips that come on the stock 335i, but on the IS they are black. I haven't driven a car w/ the Performance exhaust so I cannot comment on the sound but many people on this forum have commented that the two are very similar. So to answer your question, no.
Jason4486 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
oomikeyboy
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida

Posts: 134
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
The 335is exhaust sounds pretty sweet in videos.. i wonder if we can just buy a 335is exhaust and swap it into our 335i's?
__________________
2011 E90 335i 6MT Alpine White |
oomikeyboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
cstavaru
Brigadier General
 
cstavaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Posts: 3,235
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomikeyboy View Post
The 335is exhaust sounds pretty sweet in videos.. i wonder if we can just buy a 335is exhaust and swap it into our 335i's?
I think there is no reason not to work.

The BMW Performance Exhaust has a few clamps between the mufflers and the midpipe, between the 2 mufflers, etc. I am sure the 335is is welded. But, I think that the 335is mufflers are identical to the 335i Performance mufflers. It would be unnecessary R&D to create mufflers for a US only car when the Performance ones are already available.
cstavaru is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
Brey335i
Brigadier General
 
Brey335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 4,737
iTrader: (11)

+ 1, there's no good reason to assume that the BMW engineers made a whole new exhaust for the 335is... I am convinced it's the same exhaust as the BMW performance one.

We need to get the two together and compare
Brey335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
k3silk
Lieutenant
 
k3silk's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 513
iTrader: (3)

Yes we do because I would love to pick up this exause for cheap when someone swaps out for something else.
k3silk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
shifterboy45
Major
 
shifterboy45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North by Northwest

Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
+ 1, there's no good reason to assume that the BMW engineers made a whole new exhaust for the 335is... I am convinced it's the same exhaust as the BMW performance one.

We need to get the two together and compare
i would like to believe that BMW would do something like that ... that's not the companys' Moedus Operandi --

the exhausts are very very similar in sound quality .. but just a slight departure at lower RPMS -- but once you jump on it.. sounds just alike -- nice, sweet n tuned ...

i have an E92 with the performance exhaust and i have driven numerous 335is (E92/93)

will be getting the iS in another year and was thinking of retrofitting the performance exhaust -- since it has no drivers side flap -- and i love to start it up in the morning... torn between the two
shifterboy45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

I can confirm that the PE at least has different labels on it then the 335is. My performance exhaust mufflers specifically say "BMW Performance", where as the IS exhaust says "Boysen" on it. The 335is also has the butterfly valve "aka golf tee" on it, PE does not. The 335is, at least on a DCT, is MUCH quiter then my PE on a 6mt. Whether or not due to tuning or because of transmission, I cannot confirm, but its not as gurgly or deep. My 335 is stock other then the PE performance wise. The tips are as stated, same as stock but black chrome.

I was at a dealer last week and they had one there and I wanted to hear the difference. I even got down on the ground to look and thats where I saw the label on the muffler. Not sure if there are any differences from DP back to the mufflers outside of one being clamped and one being welded.

I do have to say though I was not nearly as impressed with it as I would have thought. Again, the 'tune' could be causing it to be quiter then stock or it could be the DCT vs 6mt.
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
shifterboy45
Major
 
shifterboy45's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North by Northwest

Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesropb23 View Post
Can anyone confirm this?
we've received a boat (really) load of cars, and quite a few iS's -- if I can, ill try to get my car up on the rack and shoot photos of my exhaust and then get a iS up and shoot it -- to compare..

i know my guy is real busy .. i will do it when he has an opening ..
shifterboy45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
 
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: GTA

Posts: 710
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
The 335is, at least on a DCT, is MUCH quiter then my PE on a 6mt. Whether or not due to tuning or because of transmission, I cannot confirm, but its not as gurgly or deep.
The 335is has a flap, and if the PE does not then that could lead to the difference above. For my own part, I found the exhaust quiet on the "is" driving home from the dealership. So I disabled the flap (unplugged solenoid) and the difference was immediately noticeable.

Cold start verges on obscene - very unrefined for a BMW - and it's quite deep at low RPM.

I can't compare to a PE, but I can confirm that the golf-tee mod on an "is" yields real results.
__________________
In my garage: '11 e92 335is 6MT (05/10) SpGrey/CoralRed/GlacSlvr ExecPkg/NavPkg/19" 225M
Retired: '07 e92 335i 6MT (12/06) SpklgGrpht/CoralRed/GreyPoplar
Retired: '04 330Ci M-Sport 6MT SilverGrey/NaturalTan/MyrtleWood
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
PiperD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperD View Post
The 335is has a flap, and if the PE does not then that could lead to the difference above. For my own part, I found the exhaust quiet on the "is" driving home from the dealership. So I disabled the flap (unplugged solenoid) and the difference was immediately noticeable.

Cold start verges on obscene - very unrefined for a BMW - and it's quite deep at low RPM.

I can't compare to a PE, but I can confirm that the golf-tee mod on an "is" yields real results.
Possible then. I do know after a minute or so the flap was no longer closed, and exhaust gases were coming out of the left side for sure. It will be interesting when shifterboy gets his pics. Like I said, it could even be the 'tune' as if you have a procede/jb3 the exhaust is quiter then stock. Not sure on dinan/giac if flashes do this too.
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
AMMZING
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2005 Acura TSX/2003 Mazda6s
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BFL-BLR-LAX

Posts: 153
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
I can confirm that the PE at least has different labels on it then the 335is. My performance exhaust mufflers specifically say "BMW Performance", where as the IS exhaust says "Boysen" on it. The 335is also has the butterfly valve "aka golf tee" on it, PE does not. The 335is, at least on a DCT, is MUCH quiter then my PE on a 6mt. Whether or not due to tuning or because of transmission, I cannot confirm, but its not as gurgly or deep. My 335 is stock other then the PE performance wise. The tips are as stated, same as stock but black chrome.

I was at a dealer last week and they had one there and I wanted to hear the difference. I even got down on the ground to look and thats where I saw the label on the muffler. Not sure if there are any differences from DP back to the mufflers outside of one being clamped and one being welded.

I do have to say though I was not nearly as impressed with it as I would have thought. Again, the 'tune' could be causing it to be quiter then stock or it could be the DCT vs 6mt.
This also what the dealer claims about the BMW PE. I saw a 335i M-Sport equipped with the BMW Performance Package the other day in the showroom and thats what the salesguy said; that the car was louder than the 335is.
AMMZING is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
kirby135i
Lieutenant
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: here

Posts: 508
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMZING View Post
This also what the dealer claims about the BMW PE. I saw a 335i M-Sport equipped with the BMW Performance Package the other day in the showroom and thats what the salesguy said; that the car was louder than the 335is.
sales guys will say whatever they have to just to get sale...most are full of $hit.
kirby135i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
Damien335is
New Member
 
Drives: Manual 335is coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lacanada Flintridge

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)



my 335is with stock exhaust
Damien335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
stratplaya06
Captain
 
stratplaya06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 848
iTrader: (7)

335is exhaust is NOT the same as the BMW performance mufflers.

Whoever says it is clearly hasn't heard the two side-by-side...(my roommate has a 335is)
__________________

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
stratplaya06 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
Marcadelic
Instagram: @Marcadelic
 
Marcadelic's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orlando/Tampa

Posts: 2,285
iTrader: (3)

Send a message via Skype™ to Marcadelic
no its not the same, is is deff not as loud as the perf
__________________
2010 335i FBO | Instagram: Marcadelic
Marcadelic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
surfcity335i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 141
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
335is exhaust is NOT the same as the BMW performance mufflers.

Whoever says it is clearly hasn't heard the two side-by-side...(my roommate has a 335is)
Agree. I have the PE on my new 2012 335i (came that way from the VPC) and I just ordered the "is" exhaust system to replace it. The PE is too aggressive for my type of use. The PE is substantially angrier than is the "is" exhaust.

The nice thing is that the VPC has already (properly) done whatever is necessary to disable the butterfly because the PE pumps exhaust out of both pipes on cold start and the stock 335i exhaust that was removed presumably did not. I wonder how they did it. I'll post when I find out.
surfcity335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST