E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > can you install an aftermarket cd/dvd player with an idrive unit?

01-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
weezyf

Drives: still looking

can you install an aftermarket cd/dvd player with an idrive unit?

reason why I ask is because I am sort of an audio geek and I hate hooking up my system to stock stereos.

thanks.
      01-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict

Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT

I'd post in the Audio section.

jopa489 is offline   United_States
      01-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
weezyf

Drives: still looking

can a mod move this thread for me?
      01-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
you probably can if you're willing to give up the idrive screen, BT, nav, radio, gongs, etc as well of a slew of error codes.

you'd have to bypass the car amp and run new speaker wiring and find a installation kit (for mounting unit).

alternatively, you can move the current CCC unit (thing you put dvd's / cd's into) to another location (eg trunk / glovebox / etc). Outside extending the electrical wiring, you'd have to extend fiber optic lines too. Once moved you can plug your new unit into your stock "aux" connector.

or you can buy a idrive screen interfacing unit that allows you to inject a composite video signal from a camera or a dvd player while still keeping your idrive functions in tact.
      01-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

on '08 or later i-drive is DVD capable, and you can watch movies, videos when car is in "park", but there is a chip that overrides that. There have been numerous posts on that here.
      01-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
You can probably wire a cd palyer to the aux input but as for video it looks like the only option is the tvandnav2go (I think that's what it's called). Pretty pricey though.
fdriller9 is offline   United_States
      01-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
DJKhan85
Major

Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
on '08 or later i-drive is DVD capable, and you can watch movies, videos when car is in "park", but there is a chip that overrides that. There have been numerous posts on that here.
09 and above. I can not play DVDs in my 08 iDrive.
DJKhan85 is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
      01-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
09 and above. I can not play DVDs in my 08 iDrive.
True, '09 and above.

If you find the way to get this work on '08, I would like to know as well...

How much is the i-drive replacement unit at the dealer? I was thinking it should be around $2k, and maybe '08 unit could be swapped for an '09... problem solved. Most likely only part of i-drive needs to be replaced, not the entire unit, so it should be a lot cheaper than $2k.
      01-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!

Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
I don't think you can. Well, there is an old saying "never say never". If my guess is correct, when you remove the i-drive CD unit your i-drive will stop working. Someone please confirm.
The CIC and the DVD/CD player are one and the same. You can't replace one without the other. They are contained in the exact same unit. My CD player had to be replaced earlier this year because it was making a popping noise. BMW replaced the entire CIC to address the issue.

Other features of the sound system, like the Sirius receiver, can be replaced - not the CD player.

You probably could wire an aftermarket CD player in the trunk area, but that would not lead to any sound improvements. The limitations in the stock systems are mostly in the speakers and amp.

The easiest solution to upgrading sound is replacing speakers. And, that is pretty much true in any decent OEM system on the market.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
      01-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallseafishie View Post
you probably can if you're willing to give up the idrive screen, BT, nav, radio, gongs, etc as well of a slew of error codes.

you'd have to bypass the car amp and run new speaker wiring and find a installation kit (for mounting unit).

alternatively, you can move the current CCC unit (thing you put dvd's / cd's into) to another location (eg trunk / glovebox / etc). Outside extending the electrical wiring, you'd have to extend fiber optic lines too. Once moved you can plug your new unit into your stock "aux" connector.

or you can buy a idrive screen interfacing unit that allows you to inject a composite video signal from a camera or a dvd player while still keeping your idrive functions in tact.
Include coding out the unit or any type of update or CIP sessions will fail as the VO will always be looking for these devices.

OP: The stock radio is very good, amps/speakers is what needs attention - depending on music preference.
      01-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the entire '08 i-drive swapped for '09...with '09 LCD screen and dash, would make DVD's playable, figure $2k+labor etc,.... still is cheaper than getting the whole new car....
      04-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
luigialtamirano
Registered

Drives: 2009 318i LCI Euro

Question CIC Optical Drive Repair/Replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The CIC and the DVD/CD player are one and the same. You can't replace one without the other. They are contained in the exact same unit. My CD player had to be replaced earlier this year because it was making a popping noise. BMW replaced the entire CIC to address the issue.

Other features of the sound system, like the Sirius receiver, can be replaced - not the CD player.

You probably could wire an aftermarket CD player in the trunk area, but that would not lead to any sound improvements. The limitations in the stock systems are mostly in the speakers and amp.

The easiest solution to upgrading sound is replacing speakers. And, that is pretty much true in any decent OEM system on the market.

I have a E90 post-LCI 318i European version (manufactured 11/2008), with Professional Navigation package (CIC iDrive, with optical drive and hard disk included in the head unit). CIC faceplate has preset buttons marked 1 to 8 (I mention this as I have seen others with only 6 presets)

The CD/DVD drive isn't working, as I can't read any music CDs o movie DVDs. Everything else works OK. I believe this has happened because of lack of use, the previous owner tells me he hasn't used the CD/DVD drive for 3 years. When I insert CDs or DVDs I get "Unknown" in the CIC display. I bought a lens cleaner CD but this didn't fix it. I realized it wasn't a problem with the lens, it seems that the disc isn't even spinning because the sound emitted by the drive was very low, I can just hear an intermittent brief hum every 3 seconds.

I have read everywhere that the optical drive cannot be replaced separately. This post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...43&postcount=9) supports this view also. However, according to page 18 of a CIC Service Manual I found

(http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...hmentid=244402)

the "DVD/CD player including the CIC housing cover" is an individual replaceable component of the CIC module.

I wonder that I could remove the CIC, and take only the optical drive module to a technician with general knowledge so that hopefully he can repair it. In Peru, where I live in, I haven't found technicians specialized in BMW electronic equipment repair. The BMW dealership I believe won't try to fix the optical drive, they will just opt to replace the whole CIC module (they sell it here for USD$4000) which is VERY expensive.

Please advice as to which would be the better solution to this problem. Is it possible for a technician with general knowledge to fix the optical drive? Where could I buy just the optical drive and replace it myself? Is my only option to buy the whole CIC?

Thanks for any help
luigialtamirano is offline   Peru
      04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
mathematics
Captain

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

I took idrive out and had errors coded out. Kenwood double din in place of CIC and an alpine screen mounted where the idrive screen was which connected to the kenwood. It displayed either navigation or DVD video while I did other things with the kenwood simultaneously.
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
mathematics is offline   United_States