E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment specs with M3 control arm

04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
kaede
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 335i e90

Alignment specs with M3 control arm

Hi,

I have searched and read many threads about alignments, but i still can not find what i am looking for.

I will be doing the M3 control arm soon, which calls for a must have alignment. My question is, since i have the M3 arms, i do not want to go to the alignment shop and get them to aligned it to the regular e90 335i specs because that would defeat having that tad bit more camber the arms offer. So should I go to the alignment shop and ask them to align the front like a M3? or how would you guys have done it? Also, anyone have a spec sheet that maybe i can follow?

How about toe? I have heard many saying to leave it at oem spec, and some say to dial it out (makes the car balance more neutral).

Thanks guys!!
07 E90 335i 6MT - DD
2013 E63 AMG Wagon - Family Hauler
kaede is offline   Canada
      04-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
cleex024
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

just go in and tell them what specs you want...i have camber plates so i can adjust my camber but for you you cannot unless you have camber plates too.

as for toe i zeroed mine out but spec is like .18-.20 degrees toe in.
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
      04-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
DaanBMW
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328i coupe

I went thru this when I did my upgrade. I started with M3 specs, then learned the regular spec still applies, just with more neg camber. M3 spec is major mistake, having just the arms does not make your geometry M3.
. M3 subframe bushings + f&r sway bars + control arms. Meyle rear toe arms
. BMW Perf: springs + v1 dampers
DaanBMW is offline   United_States
      04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Captain

Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
Hi,

I have searched and read many threads about alignments, but i still can not find what i am looking for.

I will be doing the M3 control arm soon, which calls for a must have alignment. My question is, since i have the M3 arms, i do not want to go to the alignment shop and get them to aligned it to the regular e90 335i specs because that would defeat having that tad bit more camber the arms offer. So should I go to the alignment shop and ask them to align the front like a M3? or how would you guys have done it? Also, anyone have a spec sheet that maybe i can follow?

How about toe? I have heard many saying to leave it at oem spec, and some say to dial it out (makes the car balance more neutral).

Same specs as stock are good, except camber - go for -1.5

Higher if you have plates. I run -2, delightful!
      04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I installed the arms and pushed my struts in since I have alignment pins pulled. Told alignment shop to leave front camber alone but adjust everything else to spec for my car (328i sport pack)
      04-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
kaede
First Lieutenant

Thanks guys, so i guess just tell the shop to go Max camber allowable and for everything else, align to stock e90 335i spec. =D
07 E90 335i 6MT - DD
      04-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Seanzie

Drives: 2007 328i 6MT

This thread answered the questions I needed... thanks! I'll be installing the M3 control arms this weekend, so an alignment will have to be done soon. Now the hard part is finding out where I should get it aligned here in Houston...
      04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY
Quote:
Hi,

Same specs as stock are good, except camber - go for -1.5

Higher if you have plates. I run -2, delightful!
CALWATERBOY, how do your tires wear with that setup? thinking of increasing camber but don't want to increase wear significantly.
      04-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
romanonj
Captain

Drives: X3 and 335is w/DCT

Great thread, will be doing my M3 arm soon...
2006 e90 330i 132k miles RETIRED!
      04-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
GreekboyD
Colonel

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
I was going to ask CALWATERBOY the exact same question.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
      04-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
CALWATERBOY
Captain

Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
CALWATERBOY, how do your tires wear with that setup? thinking of increasing camber but don't want to increase wear significantly.

In spite of LSD, rears wear as before, though takes somewhat more miles.

Jury out on front tires - looks OK so far, but I have bad habits. Take corners way too fast, often, and like t'mess with suspension settings.

I oughtta be chained up somewhere.
      04-29-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post

In spite of LSD, rears wear as before, though takes somewhat more miles.

Jury out on front tires - looks OK so far, but I have bad habits. Take corners way too fast, often, and like t'mess with suspension settings.

I oughtta be chained up somewhere.
lol we have moments where we should be chained up
      05-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
kaede
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
just go in and tell them what specs you want...i have camber plates so i can adjust my camber but for you you cannot unless you have camber plates too.

as for toe i zeroed mine out but spec is like .18-.20 degrees toe in.
I am doing the mod this weekend and alignment on saturday. Just one last question, should i ask them to dial out my toe as well? The advantage of doing that should be better tire wear and even more neutral feel when driving hard and cornering. However, it probably promotes more oversteer correct?

What's the biggest difference between stock toe and zero toe? Advantages and disadvantages? If i mostly DD my car, only track/autocross 2-3x a year, should i even bother getting rid of toe specs? My knowledge about this is still very limited, learnt most of these things on Gran Turismo 5 xD but never have any real life experience. Thanks!
07 E90 335i 6MT - DD
      05-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
cleex024
Major

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
I am doing the mod this weekend and alignment on saturday. Just one last question, should i ask them to dial out my toe as well? The advantage of doing that should be better tire wear and even more neutral feel when driving hard and cornering. However, it probably promotes more oversteer correct?

What's the biggest difference between stock toe and zero toe? Advantages and disadvantages? If i mostly DD my car, only track/autocross 2-3x a year, should i even bother getting rid of toe specs? My knowledge about this is still very limited, learnt most of these things on Gran Turismo 5 xD but never have any real life experience. Thanks!
tell you the truth i think a little toe in is better...im going to actually try that out maybe not to .18 toe in but maybe like .1...of course these are total toe measurements so each side would be .05
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
      05-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #15
fdawg4l

Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
I went thru this when I did my upgrade. I started with M3 specs, then learned the regular spec still applies, just with more neg camber. M3 spec is major mistake, having just the arms does not make your geometry M3.
Uh oh. I just did this swap this past weekend and had it aligned to m3 specs. Why is this a major mistake? I don't notice any ill effects.

Are you concerned about tire wear? Isn't that just a function of camber
fdawg4l is offline   United_States