E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Golf tsi R

04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Drives: F20 125d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
I think the market takes advantage of the 'cult' following certain brands have. The GTI brand has always been in demand...even when it's 10-15 years old (I'd love to have a MK1 GTI parked on my drive!)
I drove a mk1 cabriolet recently.

It was terrible.
      04-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep

Drives: BMW

Perhaps its the reliability..

In the 4 BMW's I owned, they each visited dealers on at least a quarterly basis for some warranty problem or other. My 335d lasted 3000 miles before the turbo went and the whole car was replaced. With VW, only time I'm at the dealer is for a service.

Perhaps I've been lucky, or maybe with BMW unlucky, buts that's just my perspective.

I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience of not drinking dealer coffee.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrogmbh View Post
Perhaps its the reliability..

In the 4 BMW's I owned, they each visited dealers on at least a quarterly basis for some warranty problem or other. My 335d lasted 3000 miles before the turbo went and the whole car was replaced. With VW, only time I'm at the dealer is for a service.

Perhaps I've been lucky, or maybe with BMW unlucky, buts that's just my perspective.

I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience of not drinking dealer coffee.
BMW don't make the turbos and they fail on every car more than people think.

Warranty direct released their figures not long ago for engine failures and the worst brand on their books was Rover.

Second bottom was Audi with BMW and VW both in the bottom 10 too. VW beat BMW by a place but the ratio of failures was near identical.

Audi's ratio for engine failures was very bad.

BMWs have their fair share of problems and so do VW.

Audi/VW is the car of choice at my work and many are utterly cheesed off with their problems.

From what I've seen personally and what warranty direct have said, VW don't score as highly as people think for reliability. BMW and Audi fall into that category too.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #26
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Drives: F20 125d

Most reliable cars I've experienced over the last few years have been a ford focus which has needed nothing in 5 years of hard use and a Honda which again needed nothing beyond servicing in 4 years.

My bosses wife has a mk6 estate 2.0 TDi and it's never done with having wee niggling problem. Nothing major but the kind of things that are enough to make you fed up with a car. In fact, he has arranged to trade it for an M135i. I'm not saying that will be more reliable. I really believe that reliability is pot luck now. What's more important to me is how efficiently and willingly the manufacturers dealerships sort the issues.

Up here nearly all the VW dealers are Arnold Clarke. That's not a good thing.
      04-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #27
djgandy
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My dads 61 plate A4 had a turbo failure at 20k. All it does it motorway miles. Wouldn't even let him limp home. Complete lock down of the car! Got a free bottle of champagne from Audi though.

His car of choice is the Mondeo as you get a load of kit for your money, better MPG and a lot more space. But he is stuck with an Audi that has a trim level suitable for a car from 1955 for a good few more years now. I have to say it is one of the most boring cars I have ever been in and driven.

Although on that note, no one seems to have mentioned how dull the Golf is?? It's like buying a Porsche, they all look the same, except despite my dislike of the 911, I imagine it is actually a fantastic drive. Whereas the Golf is just a Golf, the car you buy when all imagination has been sucked from your life. I know BMW's are just an expensive badge, but at least they aren't selling the same fricking car with a Skoda badge on it for a lot less money!

Then you have the fast Golf, for the exciting person, because a Golf doesn't have to be dull. Twin exhaust that sounds like you should be hanging out with people who own Novas. Great if you're going for the small time chav drug dealer look with half the Argos catalogue around your neck.

Looked at the Scirocco as I did like the look of them until I actually viewed it and saw the price. Seriously what the hell? It's just a less shit looking golf with a big price tag.

Last edited by djgandy; 04-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #28
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
My dads 61 plate A4 had a turbo failure at 20k. All it does it motorway miles. Wouldn't even let him limp home. Complete lock down of the car! Got a free bottle of champagne from Audi though.

His car of choice is the Mondeo as you get a load of kit for your money, better MPG and a lot more space. But he is stuck with an Audi that has a trim level suitable for a car from 1955 for a good few more years now. I have to say it is one of the most boring cars I have ever been in and driven.

Although on that note, no one seems to have mentioned how dull the Golf is?? It's like buying a Porsche, they all look the same, except despite my dislike of the 911, I imagine it is actually a fantastic drive. Whereas the Golf is just a Golf, the car you buy when all imagination has been sucked from your life. I know BMW's are just an expensive badge, but at least they aren't selling the same fricking car with a Skoda badge on it for a lot less money!

Then you have the fast Golf, for the exciting person, because a Golf doesn't have to be dull. Twin exhaust that sounds like you should be hanging out with people who own Novas. Great if you're going for the small time chav drug dealer look with half the Argos catalogue around your neck.

Looked at the Scirocco as I did like the look of them until I actually viewed it and saw the price. Seriously what the hell? It's just a less shit looking golf with a big price tag.
The Mk5 GTi I had was the best hot hatch I've ever owned. Even better the R32 that took its place. Far from dull. Refined yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #29
MrPogle
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 330 M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
From what I've seen personally and what warranty direct have said, VW don't score as highly as people think for reliability.
Although VW are not especially reliable, lots of people think they are. It is almost entirely down to the series of adverts they ran in the 80's with no evidence to support their claims. Who doesn't remember "If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen"?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
rsmallwo
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335d

OP, go for an m135i instead.

Same amount of doors/practicality and with the reviews been so so good for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #31
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + A45 AMG

Might be worth a read for the OP
:http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=27614
      04-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Might be worth a read for the OP
:http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=27614
How much of feel is to do with the fact they were testing a fresh VW against a 56 plate Audi?

I'm sure most cars would have softened a bit after 6.5 years of use.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

The new S3 is due soon.

There is also the Merc A class AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + A45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
The new S3 is due soon.

There is also the Merc A class AMG
The MK 7 Golf R is probably out early next year as well
      04-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #35
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: A45 AMG

Garage List
The police round my way have an unmarked one and it is quick but does look like just another Golf unless that's the look you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #36
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

That reminds me. Didn't plod write one off?

Ah. It appears they did.
Appreciate 0