E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Reference pics - Z4/E36 M3 bump stops vs OEM E90 MSport

06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Exclamation Reference pics - Z4/E36 M3 bump stops vs OEM E90 MSport

Just because I don't remember seeing a direct comparison anywhere else on the forum.

E36 M3 front bump stop:

E90 Msport front bump stop:

Side by side:

Yes, it's 5 years old and holy shit, did it need replacing!!

Z4 rear bump stop:

E90 MSport rear bump stop:

Side by side:

Hope that's some help to someone in future
      06-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

WOW those stock ones were in really bad shape, I amazed at how bad!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Jonny954
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly is the 'Bump stop'...??
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Damn, you're oe bumpstops look bad. Your car must gravitate towards sharp impacts
Thanks for the post. Good info for folks who want to use lowering springs.
      06-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #5
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny954 View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly is the 'Bump stop'...??
It's not dumb if you don't know the answer

The bump stop isn't really it's correct name any more, it's technically called a micro cellular shock absorber, or something equally catchy. The idea is that the springs do most of the work taking the weight of the car as it bounces along our perfectly made, flat roads and the piston moves in and out of the damper as the springs compress.

The bump stop fits over the piston of the damper, effectively preventing the damper from 'bottoming out' under extreme compression. As it does so, because it's made of foam and has been designed by very clever people who know all about such things, the shape, size and composition determine exactly how it compresses.

This means that as the damper reaches its limit, instead of going "smoothly, smoothly, CLUNK" as it bottoms out, the bump stop adds an extra little bit of "smooth" to the last little bit of compression - and they're an integral part of the whole suspension setup.

People who have changed from stock to sport or aftermarket suspension have reported that the stock bump stops are too long, and when shorter springs are fitted the damper piston no longer has enough travel to do its job correctly - or in extreme cases actually has no travel at all, and the car is effectively riding on the bump stops. Changing from stock to a shorter bump stop gives back to the damper the extra travel that's been taken away by the shorter spring and lets everything work properly again.

Having had mine apart yesterday, there was no need to fit shorter ones to the MSport setup, the OE parts would have been absolutely fine. But given the state they were in, and for the relatively low cost, I'm very glad I had new ones to put on. I can't imagine those horrible old things actually did anything any more!!

HTH
      06-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post

The bump stop isn't really it's correct name any more, it's technically called a micro cellular shock absorber, or something equally catchy. The idea is that the springs do most of the work taking the weight of the car as it bounces along our perfectly made, flat roads and the piston moves in and out of the damper as the springs compress.

The bump stop fits over the piston of the damper, effectively preventing the damper from 'bottoming out' under extreme compression. As it does so, because it's made of foam and has been designed by very clever people who know all about such things, the shape, size and composition determine exactly how it compresses.

This means that as the damper reaches its limit, instead of going "smoothly, smoothly, CLUNK" as it bottoms out, the bump stop adds an extra little bit of "smooth" to the last little bit of compression - and they're an integral part of the whole suspension setup.

People who have changed from stock to sport or aftermarket suspension have reported that the stock bump stops are too long, and when shorter springs are fitted the damper piston no longer has enough travel to do its job correctly - or in extreme cases actually has no travel at all, and the car is effectively riding on the bump stops. Changing from stock to a shorter bump stop gives back to the damper the extra travel that's been taken away by the shorter spring and lets everything work properly again.

Having had mine apart yesterday, there was no need to fit shorter ones to the MSport setup, the OE parts would have been absolutely fine. But given the state they were in, and for the relatively low cost, I'm very glad I had new ones to put on. I can't imagine those horrible old things actually did anything any more!!

HTH
Give this man a beer
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
zeenon53
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

^+1, very informative!
      06-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

HTH
That's the primary function of bumpstops. It's my understanding BMW also engineers them to be a secondary spring so they can use softer springs for ride comfort yet increase spring rate for better handling during hard cornering; sort of like a progressive spring
So, you didn't change springs but switched to these shorter bumpstops? I'm curious if you'll experience a bit more body roll, dive and squat..
      06-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sorry - I replaced them along with the springs and dampers.

Although, also for reference, the stock bump stops from the MSport setup would have been absolutely fine with Eibach springs, there would have been plenty of travel left in all of the dampers.

I don't know how long the bump stops are from the non-sport setup, it's possible they're what caused the reported problems.
      02-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
irish320d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Would anyone know what sort of bump stops i would need with the h&r race cup kit?
I had my car on a ramp today and found out i have NO bump stops left on the rear!
Any help greatly appreciated as i need to order some asap
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
TBH you'll probably be fine with the standard MSport ones.
      02-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
irish320d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
bamboostk86
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328I E93  [10.00]
2009 bmw X3  [0.00]
purchase

where can i buy these?? thnx
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Your local dealer.
      03-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #15
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
How squishy are those bump stops? Can you compress them via hand?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #16
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
From memory, (because it was about a year ago now) they're a similar consistency to a cold squash ball. If you're from the US and not sure what squash is, it's like racketball with a smaller, less bouncy ball, but that's probably not a great help

Yes, you can compress them by hand.
      04-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
Suntzu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2005

I'm ordering my Eibach Pro-Kit with B4-S as per your recommendations.
I'm still a little confused by bumpstops.

It's hard to get the E36 and Z4 bumpstops in australia and they are $130 each!

Can I just use MSPORT bumps stops or get aftermarket ones that are:

FRONT: 55mm (guessing from your shots)
REAR: 65mm

Noting I am on STOCK SE bumpstops right now. I could get them cut but they are 7 years old.

Hows the Pro-kit + b4S working long term? Any issues with 4 people plus luggage? Hoping they arent to soft.

Appreciate your advice so I can get this underway.

PS: whats the internal diameter of the shaft in case i go aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Standard MSport ones will be fine

After about a year I'm still very happy with my setup. Not soft at all, just perfectly damped. No problems at all under full load either.
      04-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
Suntzu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2005

OK great. I have source Msport bump stops at the local BMW stealer for a much lower cost. They are about 10-15mm bigger than the ones you used.

I have also sourced the B4-S despite bilstein trying to ram B12 down my throat and telling me I cannot order B4S in Australia!

Got the Pro kit springs coming and all new spring rubbers upper and lower front back.

All up its costing the same as a B12 kit sourced from the motherland - blighty - but thats ok as I am shit scared of having hard ride at the tend age of 39 years!

Im pretty much taking your recommendations (and two or three others who followed) because you guys seem to be very sensible and have well thought out comments and objectives for your cars.

I will report in with a review in a few weeks.

Front sway bar is also on the horizon but we will try springs/shocks first.

thanks a heap!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #20
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Good luck look forward to hearing what you think.
      05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
jzepeda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 Dinan Stage 2

Will you confirm the part number for me.
31332225377 fronts and 33536770350 rear. I want to order them from tischer but when I put the part numbers in they have a left and right, isnt it the same?

from the pictures they seems right.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

Quote:

HTH
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for sharing.
I'm getting ready to tear down my Eibach pro-kit/BMW Performance suspension (on it when I got the car) to check how much travel I'm actually getting.

My car is very firm (but WOW does it handle), and I'm getting some bounce.

The PO had the PS installed so I have no idea what bumpstops are on there.
Hopefully they ARE too long and I can reduce the bounce with some new stops.

Your post will be a big help in determing what stops (I mean "Auxillary Shock Absorers" hehe) I have.