E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2E8E IBS senor code

04-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Turbopat
Private First Class

Drives: Black on black e92

2E8E IBS senor code

I got the 2E8E code. Now, this is my series of events...
My battery died after car being in storage, so I went to buy the SAME EXACT oem one from the dealer. I changed the battery. Car started right up.. however airbag light is on. Now I didn't register the battery for about 1.5weeks until today the car was driven barely.

I read that if you don't let the car fall asleep properly you get the airbag light when u disconnect the battery.

I pulled up codes from my car because i got my cable today, I had a 2E8E battery intelligent sensor code. This BEFORE registering the battery. I cleared th code and registered the battery SUCCESSFULLY. Now I turned the car off and a few minutes checked the codes again with the car on and the 2E8E code was there again. So i tried to register the battery again and now it doesnt allow me too. It says some error. Is this because I already registered it?

Note: I turned on/off the multiple times about 30 minutes later and the code was not there.

Bottom line: Can not registering the battery cause the 2E8E code? Any input will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
ellipsis212
I bought my ski mask in Aspen

Drives: MB 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I was getting this code as well recently along with some charging issues after battery replacement at an indy. I believe they mishandled the IBS sensor (aka battery negative cable) during battery replacement. Of course I had no proof of this so I just changed out the cable and sensor leads and my codes and charging issues are gone.

Bad news is that the cable costs $250 but I found a used one on ebay and took a gamble. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Turbopat
Private First Class

Drives: Black on black e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I was getting this code as well recently along with some charging issues after battery replacement at an indy. I believe they mishandled the IBS sensor (aka battery negative cable) during battery replacement. Of course I had no proof of this so I just changed out the cable and sensor leads and my codes and charging issues are gone.

Bad news is that the cable costs $250 but I found a used one on ebay and took a gamble. So far so good.
I changed my battery myself and was delicate (at least I thought) and heard about the sensor being extremely fragile and people breaking it and causing that error. Im going to scan for codes tomorrow again and see if it comes up.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
ellipsis212
I bought my ski mask in Aspen

Drives: MB 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Even after clearing, you'll get a new round of those codes everyday if you have the issue.
Appreciate 0