E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Wagner Tuning 335d Intercooler Kit Ready to Ship?

05-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #265
TDIwyse
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Have been monitoring intake temps with OEM IC. Not much higher than ambient.

Idle: ~2-5 F above ambient
Hard accel: initally ~15F above ambient but comes down quickly as car gains speed (and airflow)
Decel: ambient to 2F BELOW ambient.

Conclusion: OEM IC doing a good job...will know more this weekend after HPDE specifically heat soak
Someone else taking data! Love it. This seems similar to what I've observed with the Bavarian Technic tool on my car.

Quick question, how/where are you taking the data?

Just curious as with my Android Torque App I can "see" something called intake temp, but this is not the post intercooler temps. Think it's coming from the sensor by the air box. I need the BT to see the post IC temps. And on the IAT post intercooler I see an increasing temp with a prolonged pull without H2O/meth injection.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #266
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: BMW

I am pulling from OBC via P3cars gage. I presume temps come from same place you pointed out to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #267
TDIwyse
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I am pulling from OBC via P3cars gage. I presume temps come from same place you pointed out to me.
An easy way to check if you're monitoring the correct sensor is to disconnect it and see what the reading does. The IAT acts like a variable resistor. The hotter the air the lower the resistance. If I recal correctly 3k is about 60F.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #268
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

@LAMPSguy & Puerto Rican 335d
I figured this would be a more appropriate thread in which to continue our conversation with regards to fitting the IC

I just got done with mine and (while there were some frustrating moments in time) I did not have the issue with regards to the plastic piece you mentioned. Where is the piece? Is it the same as the passenger side one which the instructions call out to remove?

I couldn't tell to what the instructions were referring (not great images) so I didn't remove anything and carefully felt around while putting the IC into place.

Initial thoughts (chronologically from the time of receipt)...
1. Great packaging. (Stellar, actually)
A. One black and one white sticker. I'm not one for stickers, but why don't tuning companies ever give you 2 of the same sticker so you can keep the car symmetrical?
2. Much larger than stock IC.
3. Very sturdy build quality (much more-so than OEM)
4. Much heavier than stock IC (this was a bit of a bummer; easily twice the weight)
5. MUCH larger than stock IC. I can't imagine cramming something much larger into that space.

I'm not expecting any noticeable difference in performance but we'll see...

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 06-18-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #269
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Rotor yes the ic weighs 40 lbs. The area that needed cut was in front of the ic a plastic lip of the bumper my car is non sport I think yours sport. As far as gains expect anywhere from 6-10 whp and the weather and with jb or any flash that said on a personal note if you hv jb or any flash I strngly suggests that you have it retune properly I top out wayyy to fast I believe w a jb or Renntech tune D can get better results if the programmer can have the car for a day so that it can b reconfigured properly
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #270
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Rotor yes the ic weighs 40 lbs. The area that needed cut was in front of the ic a plastic lip of the bumper my car is non sport I think yours sport. As far as gains expect anywhere from 6-10 whp and the weather and with jb or any flash that said on a personal note if you hv jb or any flash I strngly suggests that you have it retune properly I top out wayyy to fast I believe w a jb or Renntech tune D can get better results if the programmer can have the car for a day so that it can b reconfigured properly
Darn, I thought about weighing it, now I really wish I did. I was thinking it was somewhere just under 30 lbs. I'm Usually a decent guesser at weights...perhaps I'm getting too ripped

That would explain why my right hip flexer is sore, though. (I installed with the IC balanced on my shin with my knee tucked to my chest so my hands would be free to wriggle the pipes into place...garage door was most definitely closed at the time...don't need the neighbors bearing witness to that craziness. Lol)

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #271
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

Rotor your getting old here, yes that IC is heavy but of great quality hope you enjoy it
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #272
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

FYI...per UPS:
Delivery date: Jun 17, 2013 2:52 PM
Sign for by: Signature Not Req
Service type: FedEx Ground
Packaging type: Package
Number of pieces: 1
Weight: 27.20 lb.

...but yes, I am definitely getting old, and it is definitely a robustly constructed product.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #273
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

yes Im sorry w incorrect weight. BTW how does the car feel? give us your insight on this I gather peole are tired of me raving of my toys, LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #274
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Quote:
yes Im sorry w incorrect weight. BTW how does the car feel? give us your insight on this I gather peole are tired of me raving of my toys, LOL
Lol. No insight yet. I have my car peeled apart right now. Should have everything back from paint by the weekend...then i will be running sans JBD for a while with the new IC to guage any mileage improvements, etc, before reinstalling the JBD or moving to a tune

Last edited by FormerRotor; 06-18-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #275
JP-76
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 335d

Never mind...

335dA Individual MY2007 "LCI", Quaife LSD, power: Enough/ torque: Plenty.

Last edited by JP-76; 06-24-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #276
atam12
Registered
Rep

Well just had the intercooler installed and noticed the mpg meter pegs out to 50. Is that normal? Seems like a good mod. I am waiting for the car to cool off to put the JBD back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #277
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

atam wait till you put the JB back then you will see the monster come out as id id with my RENNtech flash
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #278
Bicax
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Heya,

I know PuertoRican is going to choke me to death with a bunch of RENNtech stickers for saying this, but after reading this thread I'm still not entirely convinced about this mod.

I own a EU spec 2010 facelift E91 335d and since I'm still under warranty until 2014 I have only installed a DTUK crdt box. I'm pretty happy with it, it has transformed the car into what it should have been in the first place. So happy in fact that I want to improve the car even further, and am considering installing an LSD, removing the DPF and doing a reprog (the aim is to get it to around 380hp and 7XXnm, not more since I use it as a DD and would like to keep the car for some time).

The IC mod was also on my list, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that it will really be an improvement over the OEM IC, or at least not an improvement enough to be worth the investment. Did I miss something, and has anyone run some serious testing of Wagner vs OEM under similar conditions? And I don't mean some impressions about how it feels that the car does x or y better, since taking a decision based on that only would feel like taking a leap of faith to me, but rather actual numbers.

Sorry to bring a bit of skepticism to the discussion, but I'm genuinely interested (I live in Barcelona and temperatures tend to run high most of the year) and would really like some conclusive information to be able to make up my mind.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, when I say that I haven't seen any evidence that the Wagner IC is better than the OEM IC I mean performance figures. I'm sure that it is bigger, allows a better airflow, and allows for lower temperatures during load. But isn't the OEM IC enough even for ~380hp/7XXnm in a hot-ish climate? Has anyone ever run into IC limitations with those types of hp/torque figures? Does it really improve performance in a considerable way? Am I overlooking something?

Last edited by Bicax; 06-27-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #279
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

Amigo BICAX RENNtech is a Flash and WAGNER the IC, that said mi hermano, I live in Puerto Rico therefore, traffic jams are a daily issue, our OEM IC can handle non modified cars but WILL NOT deliver appropriately after a run, you need COOLER air to our turbos. AS I have posted before the IC, I got on the wheels w/o the WAGNER IC 305-306 whp at 70 degrees Farenheit, a couple of days later I got the IC installed I went in for the dyno and got 311-312 whp but AT 90 degrees farenheit thats 20 DEGRESS above the first reading so its safe to say I could of gotten at least approximately another 3-5 whp more, due to hotter temps I couldnt. I can attest that the OEM will not render the same in hotter temps better than the WAGNER!! the bigger IC albeit WAGNER Cx RAcing or whomever will have a HUGE advantage over OEM anyone can tell you that amigo. Im providing you with some pics of both OEM and WAGNER IC so you can see the differance between both ok, confia en mi hermano vas a notar una GRAN diferencia!! you will have a faster response and will get better mileage if you floor it all the time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #280
Bicax
Private First Class
Rep

Gracias PR, I must have missed your initial post regarding performance, I didn't know that you had tried a before/after dyno run.

What you just said convinces me more. I'll keep the IC in my to-do list then, right after the LSD.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #281
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

welcome amigo, I thought about the LSD but the price has me going south of it, the IC was my better choice since i tend to do more performance wise
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #282
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicax View Post
What you just said convinces me more. I'll keep the IC in my to-do list then, right after the LSD.
Yeah, I would definitely jump on the LSD first before getting the IC. Are you planning to get a Quaife?
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #283
Bicax
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
welcome amigo, I thought about the LSD but the price has me going south of it, the IC was my better choice since i tend to do more performance wise
Well, the thing is I have the EU spec with 286 stock hp, and with the DTUK my 335d is losing traction quite often, even on straight lines. So improving hp/tq right now wouldn't increase performance as much as being able to avoid traction loss, I find.

AzureHaze: yep, thinking about the Quaife. But haven't really looked thoroughly at what is available in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #284
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

I guess youre a bigger FIEBRU(racer in our dialect) than I am
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #285
Bicax
Private First Class
Rep

The 335d is my DD, I don't really race with it (I have another car for that). But maybe the roads in Spain are in worse condition than in PR

The lights go on quite often when I floor it though, depending on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #286
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

maybe so but I HIGHLY doubt that!!! usually you get the traction control light go on , turn OFF completely the DSC and then you will have more power on the wheels but yest car will go into BEAST mode
Appreciate 0