E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Boston truth revealed. Please look.

05-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #111
bbbbmw
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
EDIT: Baahawhawww... i looked up the poll and it was comprised of 1247 registered voters!! What a joke!! 1247... yeah, that speaks for the nation.
The study (by the Public Policy Polling organization) is also footnoted that it was not paid for or authorized by any campaign or political organization. Which means it was paid for by a private organization. And PPP only conducts non-political surveys for Democrat and "Progressive" organizations.
      05-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #112
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
OMG even conspiracy polls are a conspiracy!!!
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #113
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
OMG even conspiracy polls are a conspiracy!!!
Not a conspiracy, just complete and utter bullshit. Not bullshit for them to pass off "results" that may support their cause. Bullshit that you're ignorant enough to pass it off as "information". And if it's not ignorance, it intentionally passing off misinformation.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      05-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #114
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Fixed this for you.....

Quote:
Public Policy Polling Conspiracy Theory Poll Results taken April 02, 2013

On our national poll this week we took the opportunity to poll 20 widespread and/or infamous conspiracy theories. Many of these theories are well known to the public, others perhaps to just the darker corners of the internet. Here’s what we found:

- 461 voters believe global warming is a hoax, 625 do not. Republicans say global warming is a hoax by a 58-25 margin, Democrats disagree 11-77, and Independents are more split at 41-51. An inconclusive number of Romney voters believe global warming is a hoax

- 74 voters believe Osama bin Laden is still alive

- 261 voters say a UFO crashed in Roswell, NM in 1947 and the US government covered it up. More Romney voters (167) than Obama voters (99) believe in a UFO coverup

- 349 voters believe secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order. A plurality of Romney voters (236) believe in the New World Order compared to 218 who don’t

- 349 voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks. 224 of Romney voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, 255 do not

- 249 voters believe there is a link between childhood vaccines and autism, 635 do not

- 87 voters think the moon landing was faked

- 162 voters think Barack Obama is the anti-Christ, including 137 of Romney voters

- Voters are split 548-561 on whether Bush intentionally misled about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. 459 of Democrats think Bush lied about WMDs, Independents agree 48-45, just 82 of Republicans think so

- 361 voters believe aliens exist

- 174 voters say the CIA was instrumental in creating the crack cocaine epidemic in America’s inner cities in the 1980’s

- 112 voters think the government adds fluoride to our water supply for sinister reasons (not just dental health)

- 49 voters say they believe “lizard people” control our societies by gaining political power

- 635 voters say a larger conspiracy was at work in the JFK assassination, just 311 say Oswald acted alone

- 174 voters believe in Bigfoot

- 187 voters say the government or the media adds mind-controlling technology to TV broadcast signals (the so-called Tinfoil Hat crowd)

- 62 voters believe exhaust seen in the sky behind airplanes is actually chemicals sprayed by the government for sinister reasons

- 187 voters think the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry “invent” new diseases to make money

- Just 62 voters believe that Paul McCartney actually died in 1966

- 137 voters believe the US government allowed 9/11 to happen, 996 do not agree

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
      05-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #115
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:
Not a conspiracy, just complete and utter bullshit. Not bullshit for them to pass off "results" that may support their cause. Bullshit that you're ignorant enough to pass it off as "information". And if it's not ignorance, it intentionally passing off misinformation.
Most polls only poll about 1,000 people.... It's an accepted practice. You can agree or disagree with 1,000 people represent the population, but it's not misinformation( unless the person conducting the poll did anything to create a bias, skew the results to the way they wanted to, etc) or ignorant of him to post the poll.....

Last edited by quagmire; 05-02-2013 at 08:52 PM.
      05-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #116
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Most polls only poll about 1,000 people.... It's an accepted practice. You can agree or disagree with 1,000 people represent the population, but it's not misinformation( unless the person conducting the poll did anything to create a bias, skew the results to the way they wanted to, etc) or ignorant of him to post the poll.....
Accepted or not, polls with that few people don't represent the collective thoughts of 300,000,000 people. Especially since the only information given was that they participants were "registered voters".

Do the same poll at a church and see how the results vary. You'd still have 1000 registered voters though. Or do the same at a university; hell do it at Harvard and then University of Miami and see how widely the results would vary.

I'm sorry, but you know as well as i do that statistics created by polling such a small unidentified cross section of a HUGE diverse group are in accurate. If you pass on that information you are doing so with the knowledge that it's in accurate or you are ignorant of that knowledge. Also, you don't have to do anything to skew the results to manipulate them. All you have to do is report them in a certain fashion or not report some at all. There were 1247 participants, but according to their data, 50% or 623.5 people were male and 50% (623.5) were female.... I get how people can have on average 2.5 children. I just don't know how you poll that last .5 kid. Also, this was an automated phone survey so we should just go ahead chisel those results in some stone tablets.

Reading bksbimmer's other posts, he may have posted it for humor, but one can't be too sure.

05-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #117
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:
Accepted or not, polls with that few people don't represent the collective thoughts of 300,000,000 people. Especially since the only information given was that they participants were "registered voters".

Do the same poll at a church and see how the results vary. You'd still have 1000 registered voters though. Or do the same at a university; hell do it at Harvard and then University of Miami and see how widely the results would vary.

I'm sorry, but you know as well as i do that statistics created by polling such a small unidentified cross section of a HUGE diverse group are in accurate. If you pass on that information you are doing so with the knowledge that it's in accurate or you are ignorant of that knowledge. Also, you don't have to do anything to skew the results to manipulate them. All you have to do is report them in a certain fashion or not report some at all. There were 1247 participants, but according to their data, 50% or 623.5 people were male and 50% (623.5) were female.... I get how people can have on average 2.5 children. I just don't know how you poll that last .5 kid. Also, this was an automated phone survey so we should just go ahead chisel those results in some stone tablets.

Reading bksbimmer's other posts, he may have posted it for humor, but one can't be too sure.
If they conducted that poll only at a church, that wouldn't be a statistically valid poll to describe the whole population because only asking church goers will skew the results.

I agree with you that 1,000 people can't accurately describe 300 million Americans. But, I wouldn't tell the person simply posting a poll that they are ignorant or trying to spread misinformation( unless the poll they posted has a history of being biased or done in a way to skew the results). Attack the poll, not the poster necessarily.
      05-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #118
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

The trouble of statistics is that there isn't a way to get 100% representative results. Its impossible to poll all 300,000,000 people in the US and even if you could, a good percentage of them will still lie to you. A randomly selected group of relatively large size covering multiple demographics is the best way.

If you look at surveys taken of 1000 people versus those of 10,000 people there is virtually no difference in the data. You can only increase your confidence in the results. The same is true of fewer participants, in fact as long your sample is evenly distributed and contains about 200 people it can produce reliable and repeatable data even if the population is as big as 300,000,000.

It is the most important is to ensure that your sample is representative of your population. Otherwise it doesn't matter how big your groups are. Just be wary of any stats you see until you know how they were acquired.

Last edited by PINeely; 05-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.
      05-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #119
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Boy you're a touchy guy, Joe. The poll was not posted to be taken as fact or to be taken seriously at all really. It was just meant to show that there are a miriad of conspiracy theories out there about a range of topics. The fact that you get so worked up about these things suggests you may be taking this all (and yourself) a bit too seriously.

Lighten up. This is just an internet forum and that was just an obscure poll about conspiracy theories...
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      05-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #120
schoy
Private First Class

Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The trouble of statistics is that there isn't a way to get 100% representative results. Its impossible to poll all 300,000,000 people in the US and even if you could, a good percentage of them will still lie to you. A randomly selected group of relatively large size covering multiple demographics is the best way.

If you look at surveys taken of 1000 people versus those of 10,000 people there is virtually no difference in the data. You can only increase your confidence in the results. The same is true of fewer participants, in fact as long your sample is evenly distributed and contains about 200 people it can produce reliable and repeatable data even if the population is as big as 300,000,000.

It is the most important is to ensure that your sample is representative of your population. Otherwise it doesn't matter how big your groups are. Just be wary of any stats you see until you know how they were acquired.
Polling 1,000 people out of a population of 300 million yields a +/-3% margin of error in the results with a confidence level of 95%. This means, for example, if the poll results in 50% of respondents saying "Yes", you can be 95% sure that polling the entire 300 million would result in 47% to 53% saying "Yes".

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm#one
      05-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #121
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
If they conducted that poll only at a church, that wouldn't be a statistically valid poll to describe the whole population because only asking church goers will skew the results.

I agree with you that 1,000 people can't accurately describe 300 million Americans. But, I wouldn't tell the person simply posting a poll that they are ignorant or trying to spread misinformation( unless the poll they posted has a history of being biased or done in a way to skew the results). Attack the poll, not the poster necessarily.
First of all i'm not attacking anyone. I didn't call anyone one a name and didn't even throw a stick or stone. All of us are ignorant with regards to one subject or another. It' not always an insult.

Second, according to this poll, it would be valid because they were polling voters. So all they would have needed was 1247 registered voters. This is my point. There are many registered voters and depending on which of these voters you poll, the results will have a wide variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post

Exactly.

Quote:
Boy you're a touchy guy, Joe. The poll was not posted to be taken as fact or to be taken seriously at all really. It was just meant to show that there are a miriad of conspiracy theories out there about a range of topics. The fact that you get so worked up about these things suggests you may be taking this all (and yourself) a bit too seriously.

Lighten up. This is just an internet forum and that was just an obscure poll about conspiracy theories...
Not touchy or too serious. I realize it's just and internet forum, one geared towards cars at that. But the problem with it just being "just and internet forum" is that many people believe everything they see or read on the internet, especially when someone makes it seem "official". Just defending reality from an organization that has no problem posting skewed data. If in their findings they stated that their pole was made up from 20 random people from each state, 10 who reside in major cities and 10 who reside in rural areas..... yada yada yada. I wouldn't have issued with it at all.

But they don't say how they arrived at those results. And i know they didn't make 1247 random automated phone calls and came up with exactly 50% male and 50% female participants. So they polled more people than that and filtered out and unknown number of polled people and don't state how they made that determined. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people on the internet that think for themselves and will look at that poll and believe it to be factual. And it *might* be, but seeing that they offered no explanation as to who, how, when, etc... they got this info, i'm going to say it's BS; because should someone be motivated, they could administer the same poll and come up with drastically different results.

I think you'e a decent guy and in person we'd likely get along just fine even though some of our views are polarized. But in here some of your past posts might suggest that you have no problem posting questionable data that support your views. I'm just being the flip side.

05-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #122
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

I like the Polls, almost as much as the Germans, Macedonians and the Azerbaijanis .
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      05-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #123
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD

Drives: 2009 335xi

i didnt read this whole shabang but...how the hell did we get to talking about polls? lol
      05-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #124
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
I like the Polls, almost as much as the Germans, Macedonians and the Azerbaijanis .
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics."

05-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #125
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Not touchy or too serious. I realize it's just and internet forum, one geared towards cars at that. But the problem with it just being "just and internet forum" is that many people believe everything they see or read on the internet, especially when someone makes it seem "official". Just defending reality from an organization that has no problem posting skewed data. If in their findings they stated that their pole was made up from 20 random people from each state, 10 who reside in major cities and 10 who reside in rural areas..... yada yada yada. I wouldn't have issued with it at all.

But they don't say how they arrived at those results. And i know they didn't make 1247 random automated phone calls and came up with exactly 50% male and 50% female participants. So they polled more people than that and filtered out and unknown number of polled people and don't state how they made that determined. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people on the internet that think for themselves and will look at that poll and believe it to be factual. And it *might* be, but seeing that they offered no explanation as to who, how, when, etc... they got this info, i'm going to say it's BS; because should someone be motivated, they could administer the same poll and come up with drastically different results.

I think you'e a decent guy and in person we'd likely get along just fine even though some of our views are polarized. But in here some of your past posts might suggest that you have no problem posting questionable data that support your views. I'm just being the flip side.
Hey Joe, I hear what you're saying. Trust me, nothing that you or I or anyone else posts here is likely to change anyone's mind about what they believe. I come here to express my views, often to vent, sometimes to poke a little fun and to see what other people are thinking and saying about political topics of the day. Whatever I post is just meant to add to the conversation, or perhaps spark debate. I've been on this forum for over 6 years and I've read a lot of posts. Some are interesting, some are crazy, some are pretty stupid, some are insightful, some I've agreed with and some I've strongly disagreed with. But I've never read a single post that changed what I believe... not one single post. Based on my experience I just assume the same is probably true for everyone else here. If my mind is ever changed about what I believe politically or otherwise, it's not likely to be changed by anything I read here.

That said I can tell you are a thoughtful guy and it's clear you developed many of your convictions using an analytical approach to things. As you say you and I often have divergent views but I respect anyone who holds true to their convictions and expresses them in a thoughtful way. Most often you do. Except for calling me ignorant But that's an exception so it's all good LOL.

BK
      05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #126
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Hey Joe, I hear what you're saying. Trust me, nothing that you or I or anyone else posts here is likely to change anyone's mind about what they believe. I come here to express my views, often to vent, sometimes to poke a little fun and to see what other people are thinking and saying about political topics of the day. Whatever I post is just meant to add to the conversation, or perhaps spark debate. I've been on this forum for over 6 years and I've read a lot of posts. Some are interesting, some are crazy, some are pretty stupid, some are insightful, some I've agreed with and some I've strongly disagreed with. But I've never read a single post that changed what I believe... not one single post. Based on my experience I just assume the same is probably true for everyone else here. If my mind is ever changed about what I believe politically or otherwise, it's not likely to be changed by anything I read here.

That said I can tell you are a thoughtful guy and it's clear you developed many of your convictions using an analytical approach to things. As you say you and I often have divergent views but I respect anyone who holds true to their convictions and expresses them in a thoughtful way. Most often you do. Except for calling me ignorant But that's an exception so it's all good LOL.

BK
Are you drunk?
      05-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #127
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
Are you drunk?
Nah, just being civil. You should try it, it's pretty cool.

Last edited by BKsBimmer; 05-06-2013 at 05:13 PM.
      05-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #128
M3Denver
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
you forgot strippers
      05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #129
pcamera123
Private

Drives: E90

Wake up guys 911 didn't happen it was a rocket disguised as a plane

^
|

This really was shit people though about on 911.

Idiots I hate conspiracy theorists
pcamera123 is offline   United_States
      05-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #130
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD

Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamera123 View Post
Wake up guys 911 didn't happen it was a rocket disguised as a plane

^
|

This really was shit people though about on 911.

Idiots I hate conspiracy theorists
cool story bro.
      06-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #131
Ahmed
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 C63 AMG

Garage List
1999 BMW M5  [0.50]
You can call it conspiracy, barbarianism, unethical, cruel, evil whatever you want. But if you had shit loads of money and power hundreds of years ago, wouldn't you want to cater the planet to your needs?

I mean, if you started up a company and did so well.. wouldn't you want to keep it that way and expand, take control of the market and destroy your competition?

Well, there you go then.

Everything else we cry about is collateral damage. People die every day of different causes.

So.. if I decide to manipulate the powers in my hands to make certain decisions that lead to certain reactions that lead to certain results that make me smile....

I'd do it MOFO!

Ahmed is offline   Bahrain
      06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #132
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
WTF?!
Genghis Amhed Khan