E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Safe to AssUMe? No Assist=No Bluetooth?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
fares52
Enlisted Member
fares52's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Safe to AssUMe? No Assist=No Bluetooth?

My wife is looking at a 2009 328i online and I'm trying to make sure it has bluetooth. I do not see the BWM Assist thing on the FZD so is it safe to assume that it does NOT have Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Dracon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
32
Rep
1,078
Posts


 
Drives: 2006 330i E90
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (21)

Not true, Assist doesn't equal Bluetooth.

If you PM me the VIN of the vehicle, I can confirm what it has and doesn't have.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
gpb
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
393
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Run the VIN through BMWvin and post the results, folks here should be able to help you interpret.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Usually: assist implies bluetooth. iPod/USB in armrest implies Bluetooth less frequently. When you've got either, a Bluetooth retrofit is relatively easy and cheap, easier and cheaper if you're into DIY and want to learn to code yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
fares52
Enlisted Member
fares52's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Type
Value
VIN WBAPH57599NL78465
Type code PH57
Type 328I ML (USA)
E series E90 (MUE)
Series 3
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine N51
Displacement 3.00
Power 172
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)
Upholstery SENSATEC/SCHWARZ (KASW)
Prod.date 2008-11-27




Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S205A AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE Automatic transmission
S240A LEDERLENKRAD Leather steering wheel
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S2KUA LM RAEDER V-SPEICHE 285 BMW LA wheel, V-spoke 285
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tire pressure display
S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjuster, electric, with memory
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S4ABA EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG NUSSBAUM WURZEL Fine wood trim burr walnut
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S544A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGEL. MIT BREMSF. Cruise control with brake function
S563A LICHTPAKET Light package
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S5GAA ALARMANLAGENVORBEREITUNG Preparation alarm system
S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
S693A SATELLITENTUNER VORBEREITUNG Preparation BMW satellite radio
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/Audio interface
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package




Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S3APA GRAUKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Windshield with grey wedge
S497A MITTELARMLEHNE IM FOND Centre armrest, rear
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S663A RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL Radio BMW Professional
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fares52 View Post
things
No bluetooth, but the retrofit is (easier than in your car, it would seem . You'd buy a mic, run the same cable to the back, pin it into the mulf, buy an antenna and cable, and code $644 into the VO. SG_RESET to taste.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
fares52
Enlisted Member
fares52's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I'm telling her to pass on the vehicle. I learned that I'm not a DIY guy when it comes to BMW's....everything i touch, i break in this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
fares52
Enlisted Member
fares52's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

alex,
what do you look for in the vin decoder that indicates Bluetooth? I notice some will say Prep Telephone and some won't say anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

If it doesn't have phone prep, it definitely doesn't have BT.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 318i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
If it doesn't have phone prep, it definitely doesn't have BT.
not necessary. BMW used to have phone prep by default until some time in early 2009. so even if a car has phone prep, it doesn't mean it comes with BT.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
not necessary. BMW used to have phone prep by default until some time in early 2009. so even if a car has phone prep, it doesn't mean it comes with BT.
That's the opposite condition of the statement . No phone prep implies no bluetooth, but yes phone prep does not imply yes bluetooth.

Obviously the first one is untrue in the case of retrofits - my car has no phone prep, but will obviously be sold to the next buyer with bluetooth.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 318i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
That's the opposite condition of the statement . No phone prep implies no bluetooth, but yes phone prep does not imply yes bluetooth.

Obviously the first one is untrue in the case of retrofits - my car has no phone prep, but will obviously be sold to the next buyer with bluetooth.
yup.

good for your car's next owner. i'll remove my retrofits and sell off the parts when i sell the car since the dealers will never bother to factor in these extras in their buy price.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
yup.

good for your car's next owner. i'll remove my retrofits and sell off the parts when i sell the car since the dealers will never bother to factor in these extras in their buy price.
There are some things I'll remove and some things I won't.

Bluetooth was too cheap to retrofit - a cable and the mic, more trouble than it's worth to part out. I could pull the mulf, but that's just dick and in 4 years the market for them is going to be nonexistent anyway. I added a 12v socket to the trunk. Again, more trouble than it's worth. Added a ski hole. I'll probably sew it back up and make it structural again so it doesn't look too suspicious. The amp and sub are obviously coming out, probably the power wiring too, but the remote and signal wiring is all more trouble than it's worth to take out.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
4,822
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (83)

Garage List
If you properly code your car VO for options that you add - they will most definitely give you credit for those options when it comes time to trade in/sell - they read the VO to see what options the car has and price accordingly.

Obviously, any dealer worth their salt will also check that the actual mechanical/electrical components for said option are also in place.

So it's not like you could code Comfort Access, or Premium Pkg into your VO when you don't have either and get away with it
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #15
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
If you properly code your car VO for options that you add - they will most definitely give you credit for those options when it comes time to trade in/sell - they read the VO to see what options the car has and price accordingly.

Obviously, any dealer worth their salt will also check that the actual mechanical/electrical components for said option are also in place.

So it's not like you could code Comfort Access, or Premium Pkg into your VO when you don't have either and get away with it
Are they really that thorough though? I'd have expected they'd just run the VIN, thus leaving retrofits out totally. I suspect when I go to trade this car in in a couple years, I'll have to catch some missed additions.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
mtlsat
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 328 XI
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DDO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
not necessary. BMW used to have phone prep by default until some time in early 2009. so even if a car has phone prep, it doesn't mean it comes with BT.
I have phone prep menu on my '09 but NO BT
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,697
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlsat View Post
I have phone prep menu on my '09 but NO BT
Yes, that's typical as mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
fares52
Enlisted Member
fares52's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

So phone prep probably means you are at least prewired? Not seeing phone prep means you have nothing in place. What is the indication that you definitely have it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 318i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fares52 View Post
So phone prep probably means you are at least prewired? Not seeing phone prep means you have nothing in place. What is the indication that you definitely have it?
SA664 or SA644 will mean bt phone option is available for the car
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
chupalt
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Bluetooth for 2011 328i

I'm trying to determine how to add bluetooth to my wife's 2011 328i. I don't have enough posts to create a new thread, so sorry for the thread hijack. I've run the vin through bmwvin and received the following results. Any help would be much appreciated. If it would be easier to add an aftermarket head unit that would also be good to know. After spending time reading threads on the topic, it seems like there are so many flavors of e90s that it makes it hard to decipher what needs to be done for each flavor.

VIN WBAPK7C51BF196200
Type code PK73
Type 328XI ML (USA)
E series E90 (MUE)
Series 3
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine N52K
Displacement 3.00
Power 172
Drive ALLR
Transmission AUT
Colour SPACEGRAU METALLIC (A52)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ (LCSW)
Prod.date 2011-09-29


Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S203A ALLRADSYSTEM 4-wheel drive
S205A AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE Automatic transmission
S2KUA LM RAEDER V-SPEICHE 285 BMW LA wheel, V-spoke 285
S2TMA STEUERUNG GETRIEBETYP Control, transmission type
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tire pressure display
S465A DURCHLADESYSTEM Through-loading system
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S4ABA EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG NUSSBAUM WURZEL Fine wood trim burr walnut
S502A SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE Headlight cleaning system
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S544A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGEL. MIT BREMSF. Cruise control with brake function
S563A LICHTPAKET Light package
S570A STAERKERE STROMVERSORGUNG Reinforced power supply
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
S693A SATELLITENTUNER VORBEREITUNG Preparation BMW satellite radio
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/Audio interface
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S8TNA TAGFAHRLICHT UEBER LICHTMENUE EINST Dummy-SALAPA
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package


Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S240A LEDERLENKRAD Leather steering wheel
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S497A MITTELARMLEHNE IM FOND Centre armrest, rear
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
S5DSA KOFFERRAUMNOTENTRIEGELUNG Emergency release, luggage compartment
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S663A RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL Radio BMW Professional
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
213
Posts

 
Drives: 318i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupalt View Post
I'm trying to determine how to add bluetooth to my wife's 2011 328i. I don't have enough posts to create a new thread, so sorry for the thread hijack. I've run the vin through bmwvin and received the following results. Any help would be much appreciated. If it would be easier to add an aftermarket head unit that would also be good to know. After spending time reading threads on the topic, it seems like there are so many flavors of e90s that it makes it hard to decipher what needs to be done for each flavor.

VIN WBAPK7C51BF196200
Type code PK73
Type 328XI ML (USA)
E series E90 (MUE)
Series 3
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine N52K
Displacement 3.00
Power 172
Drive ALLR
Transmission AUT
Colour SPACEGRAU METALLIC (A52)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/SCHWARZ (LCSW)
Prod.date 2011-09-29


Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S203A ALLRADSYSTEM 4-wheel drive
S205A AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE Automatic transmission
S2KUA LM RAEDER V-SPEICHE 285 BMW LA wheel, V-spoke 285
S2TMA STEUERUNG GETRIEBETYP Control, transmission type
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tire pressure display
S465A DURCHLADESYSTEM Through-loading system
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S4ABA EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG NUSSBAUM WURZEL Fine wood trim burr walnut
S502A SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE Headlight cleaning system
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S544A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGEL. MIT BREMSF. Cruise control with brake function
S563A LICHTPAKET Light package
S570A STAERKERE STROMVERSORGUNG Reinforced power supply
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
S693A SATELLITENTUNER VORBEREITUNG Preparation BMW satellite radio
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/Audio interface
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S8TNA TAGFAHRLICHT UEBER LICHTMENUE EINST Dummy-SALAPA
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package


Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S240A LEDERLENKRAD Leather steering wheel
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S497A MITTELARMLEHNE IM FOND Centre armrest, rear
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
S5DSA KOFFERRAUMNOTENTRIEGELUNG Emergency release, luggage compartment
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S663A RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL Radio BMW Professional
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic belt warning
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment
you have 6FL and you car's built is in Sept 2011.
so either you have a MULF2 or you have one of those new radios with built in BT and USB.

check your trunk first to see if you have the MULF2 module. if there isn't, then high chance you have one of those new radios. to confirm, you'll need to pull the radio out to confirm via the label on the radio.

once you've determined what you have, it's just a matter of buying the necessary hardware needed for the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
chupalt
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Awesome! I looked in the trunk and there's no MULF2. It sounds like I likely have a newer headunit, but obviously need to verify. If I have a newer headunit, what hardware is required? Do I still need coding?

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST