E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning headlamps



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Jdub679
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 492
iTrader: (1)

Cleaning headlamps

Can I use Stoner windshield cleaners to clean bug residue off my headlamps? A proper soap and water wash did not take off all the residue.
Jdub679 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
P1et
Brigadier General
 
P1et's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 3,019
iTrader: (1)

Buy some clay and clay the headlamps. You'll be surprised how much dirt comes off.
P1et is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
dylim
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bay area

Posts: 240
iTrader: (3)

or Meguiar's M105. I've just used it on the headlamps and glass, cleans old water spots from them easily, where as nothing else (vinegar, plastx, rainx headlight abrasive) worked.
dylim is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Jdub679
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 492
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Jdub679 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
cap1
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: MR E92 ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NoVa

Posts: 267
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Buy some clay and clay the headlamps. You'll be surprised how much dirt comes off.
I recently did this and was pretty surprised, quite a lot of dirt was on the headlamps that regular washing dis not remove.
cap1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
tofu-
Banned
 
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nyc

Posts: 2,858
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
or Meguiar's M105. I've just used it on the headlamps and glass, cleans old water spots from them easily, where as nothing else (vinegar, plastx, rainx headlight abrasive) worked.
that'll also do a great job at stripping your UV protection
tofu- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
 
psnt1ol's Avatar
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: san francisco

Posts: 454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
that'll also do a great job at stripping your UV protection
+1 Agree.

M105 doesn't clean. It abrades the surface. There are situations that abrasives must be use to clear up the lights and I don't think this is one of them-IMO. If you choose to use abrasives, you should consider applying a UV protection coating after on the lights to prevent possible future yellowing/fading.

There are products that would do a great job at removing bug residue such as Optimum PowerClean (dilution 1:3) and P21s Total Auto Wash. A dedicated shampoo like Chemical Guys Bug and Tar Wash and Poorboys world Bug Squash wash work equally well.
__________________


What is absolute control???? Having the means and the abilities to exercise it at will but....chooses not to.

Last edited by psnt1ol; 05-05-2013 at 01:13 AM.
psnt1ol is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,211
iTrader: (4)

If your headlights are NOT yellow or fading. I would do Clay, and a light polish to them. Finish off with a wax(re-apply every month) or sealant (more preferable). The most important part of this is the wax or sealant as this will provide the extra uv protection.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
dylim
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: bay area

Posts: 240
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
+1 Agree.

M105 doesn't clean. It abrades the surface. There are situations that abrasives must be use to clear up the lights and I don't think this is one of them-IMO. If you choose to use abrasives, you should consider applying a UV protection coating after on the lights to prevent possible future yellowing/fading.

There are products that would do a great job at removing bug residue such as Optimum PowerClean (dilution 1:3) and P21s Total Auto Wash. A dedicated shampoo like Chemical Guys Bug and Tar Wash and Poorboys world Bug Squash wash work equally well.
Yes yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I did get the spar urethane + mineral spirits.
dylim is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST