E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pagid pads

05-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335D

Thought i would give a an update - i have found a long stretch (private road of course as they are dotted around) and gradually braked hard from 30 - standstil, 50 - standstill and so on

The biting of the pads does appear more better now but not the same as my old pads. in conclusion I will keep these pads for a bit longer until funds allow ebc yellow pads and new discs but I wont be going for pagid again
      05-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #24
hotjones

Drives: 335i E93

Go for a set of proper pagid(rs4-2, 4-4)
and not cheap pagid's. You do get what you pay for.

As for EBC, that like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

As previously mentioned, some pad materials work by putting a layer if material on the disc to get the friction, but not all, emery cloth the disc's are more than ample to prep for fitting new pad.
      05-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Sand the discs, both sides, really abrade them.
Go out and rag the arse off them, do five 70-10mph hard stops back to back and cool them down and park up for the night.

I bet they are much better the next morning

On subject of fluid changes - if you are hard on brakes then the fluid in the calipers may be messy.
When you rammed the pistons back to fit new pads, you forced all the crud right back up into the ABS/reservoir.
Not good.
I would bleed it off to push the pads back, or pull fresh through after for this reason alone.

Moisture doesn't just 'get in' through the reservoir bleed hole either, its in the fluid as you pour it in and absorbed from the air around it.
Water is heavier and moisture will eventually migrate down to the calipers. In extreme cases allowing premature boiling off.

HTH
Steve
      05-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
ade146
Private First Class

Drives: E90 330d sport auto

M1 finally on an internet forum someone who makes sense. Sometimes I think sharing my experience of racing motorbikes and cars for 30 years is wasted on forums. Often I just dont bother. The most contaminated fluid being in the master cylinder? Where do they get it from?
ade146 is offline   United Kingdom
      05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335is DCT

Agree with everything M1 said other than "sanding" the rotors. using actual sandpaper can impregnate the iron rotors with silicon, which can turn into silicon carbide when bedding in, and that will result in hardspotting and apparent "warpage".

Use an emery cloth, or some other non-silicon based abrasive.
2013 335is DCT -- Apex 17x9 ET30 + 255/40-17" Toyo R1R | Quaife LSD | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" FMIC | AFE FBO | RB PCV | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

ashmostro is offline   United_States