E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > My Koni FSD review

05-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe

Garage List
Hi Op,

I have to agree with your review. I've had my FSD's in for over a year now, and I'm ecstatic with how my car rides. Whats even more impressive is the ride quality when go through a tight corner. The car stays very composed when hitting bumps mid corner.
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to poldim
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
I got them through the indy shop that did the installation. That price--through them--was a little better than what Tirerack and Amazon were asking for the damper set, and better than I could find elsewhere online.
I'm in the city too. Which shop did you use?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
SF Space Grey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
I'm in the city too. Which shop did you use?
I went to Sonic MS down in Mountain View or wherever. They were alright--a little disorganized but I think they did a good job.
      06-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
KN| BMW
First Lieutenant
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: E90LCI to GTRS5 WideBody M3

The FSD & Eibach springs combo are the best choice for those need to upgrade their suspension. I love it so far it offers a moderate drop since my coutry has thousand of potholes lol.
      06-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #27
cdgatti
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Should the shorter (e36/Z4) bumpstops be used with the FSD/sport springs or the FSD/eibach combo?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #28
Chief Orman
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
Hi all,

Bought an e90 335i sedan a few months ago and love it. I feel like it can do pretty much anything I ask it to do.

BUT... until recently I didn't really enjoy driving it around the city. With the sport suspension, handling was great, but the ride was very stiff. It wasn't necessarily the lack of comfort that bothered me--it was the feeling that I was abusing the car whenever I drove down a bumpy road. As someone who hates hearing rattles from my car, I was cringing every day thinking I was shaking my car to pieces because the suspension wasn't doing its job.

Time for an upgrade. After researching here (thanks to those who answered my questions and posted earlier reviews), I pulled the trigger and had my dampers replaced with the FSDs. Ride height remained unchanged, as I wanted, and when I first got into the car after the change, I thought at first that the switch hadn't made much of a difference. The ride was still very firm, and the steering was responsive as ever. If anything, I felt like I was expericing more "jostling" from side to side movement on uneven roads, as if the suspension had gotten stiffer. But over the next half hour or so, I noticed the difference. Actually, it wasn't what I noticed, but what I didn't notice. Gone were the harsh impacts that made me feel like I was hurting my car. Gone were the shudders that made me cringe over bumpy roads. The car is anything but floaty--it doesn't glide over bumps and lull you to sleep. But the jarring bumps that made me wince before just aren't there anymore, or are greatly reduced. My dampers are actually damping now. Handling is as lively as before I think.

Overall, I give the FSDs a 9/10 for delivering on their promise. If the improvement were any greater I'd assume witchcraft was involved. Highly recommended if you think your sport suspension makes your car feel brittle.

Paid $640 for the dampers plus $250 for labor.
I just ordered a set of FSD's from Koni on a 25% off sale. I did not order new springs as I have no interest in lowering the height of my 2010 335d that already has sport suspension.

I think BMW did a phenomenal job with the sport suspension but my car now has 70K and it tends to wallow under heavy acceleration. However, what is most annoying is exactly what Space Grey cited above, i.e., I feel like I am abusing the structural integrity of the car with the current harsh sport suspension. I got rid of the run-flats but it did not make enough of a difference. Combine this with the car getting floaty at around 100 mph and this is a no brainer upgrade.

In any event, as soon as I get the FSD's I let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0