E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #2355
kewlguy210
Private First Class
2
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: glassboro, nj

iTrader: (1)

Your car sound fine to me. Did u watch my two videos I posted? The first one there was slight ticking and second it went away. My probably wasn't that bad only reason I replaced it since dealer paying half. Didn't want it to get worst and I pay all later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus22 View Post
hey guys - i just found this thread.

i apologize but I can't really say for sure if i have this problem. could someone that had it replaced or knows more about this check out the video and let me know?

my car is a CPO so I think I can still get them replaced if necessary. Thanks for any advice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC6-U-jT3e0
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #2356
insane79
Major
insane79's Avatar
No_Country
17
Rep
1,084
Posts

 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Is this issue only for the n52 3.0 litre engines? mine is the 2.5 litre N52 (218bhp) sold in europe,
does this engine have the same issues? got the car preowned so abit worried.

Thanks..

Last edited by insane79; 05-19-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #2357
vigo74
New Member
vigo74's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Big Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Tick, Tick, Tick...

I bought my 2007 e90 CPO in 2010 with 30,000 miles on it. Right away I noticed the ticking noise coming from the engine. I addressed it several times at my local dealership here in Michigan and was told everything from, "we can't reproduce the issue" to "that's normal when you first start the car". I brought this up to the service department no fewer than 4 times over the last 3 years. I went in today as my CPO warranty is about to expire armed with several posts from this forum, parts lists of what others have had replaced, and a print out of the service bulletin... What do you know, the service adviser didn't even look at it, just wrote up the service order. Just got a call from them 2 hours after dropping the car off and valve lifters are being replaced under the CPO warranty! My cost... $50.

Don't give up guys, stay on the dealership and the service department, this is a known issue!

__________________
2007 e90 328i / Titanium Silver / 6MT / Sport / Cold Weather / AFE Cold Air Intake / OEM Chrome Tips
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #2358
insane79
Major
insane79's Avatar
No_Country
17
Rep
1,084
Posts

 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo74 View Post
I bought my 2007 e90 CPO in 2010 with 30,000 miles on it. Right away I noticed the ticking noise coming from the engine. I addressed it several times at my local dealership here in Michigan and was told everything from, "we can't reproduce the issue" to "that's normal when you first start the car". I brought this up to the service department no fewer than 4 times over the last 3 years. I went in today as my CPO warranty is about to expire armed with several posts from this forum, parts lists of what others have had replaced, and a print out of the service bulletin... What do you know, the service adviser didn't even look at it, just wrote up the service order. Just got a call from them 2 hours after dropping the car off and valve lifters are being replaced under the CPO warranty! My cost... $50.

Don't give up guys, stay on the dealership and the service department, this is a known issue!

is ur car the 3 ltr inline 6?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #2359
vigo74
New Member
vigo74's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Big Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane79 View Post
is ur car the 3 ltr inline 6?

Thanks..
Yes, it is.
__________________
2007 e90 328i / Titanium Silver / 6MT / Sport / Cold Weather / AFE Cold Air Intake / OEM Chrome Tips
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #2360
kewlguy210
Private First Class
2
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: glassboro, nj

iTrader: (1)

Hey guys it's been over a month since I had my lifter replaced. My car is quiet as can be no sign of any ticking. Also, I notice my gas mileage has been better also. I'm averaging 23-25mpg with 70/30 hwy and city driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #2361
QUiKSR20
E90 Apprentice
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
774
Posts

 
Drives: 08' E90 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tinton Falls, NJ

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to QUiKSR20
Got all lifters replaced in my 08 at 47k miles... Now at 50k and dead quite. Couldnt be happier.
__________________
-DG:.
08 E90 328i Sport 6MT Audio Build
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #2362
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to LittleBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlguy210
Hey guys it's been over a month since I had my lifter replaced. My car is quiet as can be no sign of any ticking. Also, I notice my gas mileage has been better also. I'm averaging 23-25mpg with 70/30 hwy and city driving.

Do you ended up forking out 100% of the repair cost ? How much ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #2363
kewlguy210
Private First Class
2
Rep
105
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330xi
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: glassboro, nj

iTrader: (1)

I end up paying 50% of the repair and dealership where I bought the car pay the other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
Do you ended up forking out 100% of the repair cost ? How much ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #2364
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
16
Rep
1,040
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ssmith96
I believe I got this today, oil was closer to low though so my indy is going to do an oil change and see if it helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #2365
sunny
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
187
Posts

 
Drives: 330i Monaco Blue
Join Date: May 2008
Location: central CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo74 View Post
I bought my 2007 e90 CPO in 2010 with 30,000 miles on it. Right away I noticed the ticking noise coming from the engine. I addressed it several times at my local dealership here in Michigan and was told everything from, "we can't reproduce the issue" to "that's normal when you first start the car". I brought this up to the service department no fewer than 4 times over the last 3 years. I went in today as my CPO warranty is about to expire armed with several posts from this forum, parts lists of what others have had replaced, and a print out of the service bulletin... What do you know, the service adviser didn't even look at it, just wrote up the service order. Just got a call from them 2 hours after dropping the car off and valve lifters are being replaced under the CPO warranty! My cost... $50.

Don't give up guys, stay on the dealership and the service department, this is a known issue!

Vigo74,
for most people including me the ticking noise came back even after replacing lifters. after my dealer replaced the head and for last 2 years I've not heard the ticking noise.
because you reported ticking noise before, if it returns, the dealer usually will replace the head for free. just be ready.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2366
Fortyb
WHO DAT!
Fortyb's Avatar
15
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: "07 328I Coupe,"12 Acura Mdx
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Huntsville,AL/WHO DAT

iTrader: (3)

I had the Ticking noise at around 15000 miles on my 2007 328 E92..So what i did was use a different oil from what BMW was using which is Castrol..I dropped in some 5w-30 Mobil 1 full Synthetic and haven't had that problem since and i'm sitting at 51500 miles right now... Some of you should try that first instead going through the whole lifter replacement process just for it to return again.
__________________
2007 328CI l 19" AG M359 | 245/35/19f | 275/30/19r | REAR Spoiler | 8500 Gp | Aero lip | Front reflectors delete | Cyba Intake scoops | BMS PBX | LTBMW M3sides | CF roof spoiler |Split Leather Armrest | Mod4cars remote | LCI Tail lights | M-tech Rear | Valentine V1 Hardwired.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #2367
Ali-323i
Lieutenant
Ali-323i's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
509
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 323i (Cdn) 4dr E90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb View Post
I had the Ticking noise at around 15000 miles on my 2007 328 E92..So what i did was use a different oil from what BMW was using which is Castrol..I dropped in some 5w-30 Mobil 1 full Synthetic and haven't had that problem since and i'm sitting at 51500 miles right now... Some of you should try that first instead going through the whole lifter replacement process just for it to return again.
I'm due for an oil change, and am also experiencing the same noise. Only had my 2007 e90 2.5L (323i - Canadian model) for a few months.

Can anyone comment on the above post, whether or not this could remedy the issue? Any other conerns with switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic? Normally I'd want to stick with OEM fluids (even if not getting it done at the dealer), but could this be the holy grail to resolve the noise?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #2368
Fortyb
WHO DAT!
Fortyb's Avatar
15
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: "07 328I Coupe,"12 Acura Mdx
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Huntsville,AL/WHO DAT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
I'm due for an oil change, and am also experiencing the same noise. Only had my 2007 e90 2.5L (323i - Canadian model) for a few months.

Can anyone comment on the above post, whether or not this could remedy the issue? Any other conerns with switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic? Normally I'd want to stick with OEM fluids (even if not getting it done at the dealer), but could this be the holy grail to resolve the noise?
Curious did you have it done yet?
__________________
2007 328CI l 19" AG M359 | 245/35/19f | 275/30/19r | REAR Spoiler | 8500 Gp | Aero lip | Front reflectors delete | Cyba Intake scoops | BMS PBX | LTBMW M3sides | CF roof spoiler |Split Leather Armrest | Mod4cars remote | LCI Tail lights | M-tech Rear | Valentine V1 Hardwired.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #2369
Ali-323i
Lieutenant
Ali-323i's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
509
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 323i (Cdn) 4dr E90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
I'm due for an oil change, and am also experiencing the same noise. Only had my 2007 e90 2.5L (323i - Canadian model) for a few months.

Can anyone comment on the above post, whether or not this could remedy the issue? Any other conerns with switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic? Normally I'd want to stick with OEM fluids (even if not getting it done at the dealer), but could this be the holy grail to resolve the noise?
Curious did you have it done yet?
Not yet. Might be a couple of weeks still.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #2370
buyakae46
Private
3
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
Just a quick update.

.

Please tell me this is NOT the noise you were talking about. This is the noise that I heard when I lifted my hood up. It lasted for about 15seconds during cold start. No idea if it still exists. I could never hear it without opening the hood (ie. not in the cabin, and not standing outside the car while it was on).

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #2371
stasha
Private
0
Rep
53
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Without hearing the actual sound in person, that DEFINITELY does sound like lifter tick.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #2372
insane79
Major
insane79's Avatar
No_Country
17
Rep
1,084
Posts

 
Drives: E90 lci
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post
I'm due for an oil change, and am also experiencing the same noise. Only had my 2007 e90 2.5L (323i - Canadian model) for a few months.

Can anyone comment on the above post, whether or not this could remedy the issue? Any other conerns with switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic? Normally I'd want to stick with OEM fluids (even if not getting it done at the dealer), but could this be the holy grail to resolve the noise?
i think its only the 3ltr inline 6 that have this issue, your will be 2.5ltr like the euro engines so i doubt you have the same ticking problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #2373
shata
Captain
shata's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
824
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: VB, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyakae46 View Post
Please tell me this is NOT the noise you were talking about. This is the noise that I heard when I lifted my hood up. It lasted for about 15seconds during cold start. No idea if it still exists. I could never hear it without opening the hood (ie. not in the cabin, and not standing outside the car while it was on).

Oh that definitely aint normal. No matter if its warm or cold. Take it to dealer have then cold start it in morning to look at it make sure you tell them to have hood open when they start it and its cold.
__________________
/// OEM ///
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #2374
buyakae46
Private
3
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
Oh that definitely aint normal. No matter if its warm or cold. Take it to dealer have then cold start it in morning to look at it make sure you tell them to have hood open when they start it and its cold.
I checked the last two times i started the car, and no noise now...


UGH ...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #2375
Henri328i
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Is it the A/C compressor?!

Hi there! Just bought a 328i from 2000 with 200.000km on it. First start was smooth but second time I turned the key I heard this loud metalic clicking right in the engine. It sounded like a a ticking inside the cylinder. So I took the car for a test drive and drove it straight to Midas (chain mecanics business) ro have a look at the car. 100$ and 1h later their report said that the engine was in perfect working order but it was the A/C compressor which was making this loud ticking noise. Something I should change but which doesnt directly influence the engine s performance. So I bought the car and been driving it since. It runs smoothly sometimes the noise goes away then its back. So apparently this noise is the A/C compressor. Nothing major.

Any thoughts? Or experiences?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #2376
gopherdoctor
New Member
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: Dodge Ram
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Apparently I have to post at least once before I can actually post to the forums. That is why I am posting here.

I was going to ask:

I am considering buying a BMW 535i XDrive 2009:
Following features:
Premium Package
Winter Package
Sport Package
Navigation Sytem

22k miles
$31,000

My uncle's car. He lives abroad during the winter so it has never seen snow. Always garaged. Is in perfect body and interior condition.

Is it worth 31k?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST