Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Severe front tire wear on outside edges

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTempoLimitN54 View Post
Thinking of doing M3 lower arms and tension links in the front. I'm at 49k so my bushings are probably fairly worn. I've heard the M3 parts will give you -0.7 camber without having to pull the alignment pins. Also better feel up front.

It seems to me that the suspension on our cars is tuned for the RFT tires. Everything (springs, shocks, bushings, sway bars) is softer to compensate the brick-like RFT's. If you've ditched the RFT's then a setup more like the M3 would work better.

What do you guys think?
that's absolutely right. if RFTs are stock then the suspension is defintely designed around them. How else do you keep a lux ride with RFTs lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I've gone thru three sets of tires. The original were RFTs. The second were Goodyear eagle GTs. The third were falken 452s . I had wear on the RFTs that way. Good-Even wear on the Goodyear and bad uneven wear on the falkens. That's definitely due to under inflated tires plus aggressive cornering. Also make sure the tire chosen is not soft tread. Summer only tires wear faster. I now have BFG KDW and am around 8k on them , I had them remounted on the opposite side after about 6k for even wear. I have learned to not drive aggressively in cold weather until the tires warm up or I am sure that they are above the recommended pressure. Someone else I saw ran as much as 38psi. I keep mine about 35psi all around . Hot psi will fluctuate about 2 psi so that would put me up there next to the other guy's recommended psi. Also you may notice vibrations on RFTs when first taking off on cold tires under inflated transfered to shaking on the steering wheel.

Well hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
I'm reviving this thread rather than starting a new one. My PS2's on the front axle are on their last legs due to this uneven wear problem.

My theory is:

Soft bushings on the lower control arms (to accommodate the RFT tires) are OK for all the posers (yeah! I said it!) that drive their E9x like granny. But for those of us that take corners like the car was mean to be driven (or at least that's what the marketing guys told us, right?) they are not OK.

I think that under heavy cornering loads the oil-filled bushing on the lower control arm deflects causing the camber to go positive. That's why the wear is limited to the outside edge. It only happens during cornering. The rest of the time the alignment and suspension geometry is OK.

I just measured my tread depth with a digital meter (look up the Fowler X-Tread, it's really great and not much $$$). The tire wear is even except for the outside shoulder. So it's not a static camber issue.

So it seems the only solution for this is to install M3 lower control arms and solve the soft bushing deflection issue plus gain some negative camber at the same time.

$550.- for new tires (Pilot Super Sport)
$515.- for M3 LCA's and tension links
$200.- for installation (guess)
$ 60.- for alignment (guess)

So about $1300.- to solve this problem. Fun, fun fun. To be fair I would be needing new front tires fairly soon even if they were evenly worn, but I'd probably be able to get another few months out of them if it wasn't for the shoulder wear.

Anyone solved this problem on their car?

2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Black Sapphire / Shadowline (Individual 760) / Black Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, no Nav/iDrive, 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 VMR VB3 in Hyper Black, Pilot Super Sport 235/35 fr 265/30 rr, M3 control arms + tension links (fr)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
I think I just heard a pin drop...

2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Black Sapphire / Shadowline (Individual 760) / Black Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, no Nav/iDrive, 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 VMR VB3 in Hyper Black, Pilot Super Sport 235/35 fr 265/30 rr, M3 control arms + tension links (fr)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
draggeur
Rep

Drives: 328xi

Same issue on my 2011 328xi: fronts had outside edge wear and had 3mm tread while rears still had 5mm and no edge wear. Still running OEM Continental RFTs.
I have a twisty rural commute and am aggressive on the turns. Seems like higher speed turns is the common issue here.
I swapped the same side front and rear wheels so I can get use out of the tires for 5 more months before getting non RFTs. Then I'll just let the fronts wear and replace two tyres at a time going forward.

Regarding the suspension reconfiguration idea, here is a quote straight from the BMW TIS:

"Tyres wear down over the course of their usage. The level of wear depends heavily on the driving style of the driver. Other influencing factors are the road surface and types of road (straight / winding), the mean ambient temperature and the drive concept of the vehicle.

Tyres fitted to high performance vehicles that are often driven at high speeds primarily wear down in the centre of the tyre tread. This wear comes about through the slight increase in the diameter of the tyre at the centre of the contact area, which is caused by the strong centrifugal forces.

In particular, this pattern of wear can be seen on the tyres on the drive axle, since the tyres are subject to slip due to the drive. This slip amounts to approx 1%, at 100 km/h (62 mph), but as much as 3% at180 km/h (112 mph). When the degree of slip increases threefold as above, the degree of wear actually increases by a factor of nine!

The tyres fitted on the front axle of a vehicle show above all things wear at the outer edge of the contact area. Front tyres are subjected to particularly strong lateral forces when cornering. This stems on the one hand from the steering geometry, on the other hand from the fact that (in the majority of vehicles) the weight of the engine exerts a load on the front axle."

My 2c would be to keep the $800 and use it for new tyres. Unless you are planning to keep the car for 10+years don't see the investment paying off and the TIS text suggests that it may not avoid the outside edge wear anyway!
Appreciate 0