E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Koni sport shocks x-drive+H&R sport springs!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
bmwm3redblack
Captain
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
14
Rep
855
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

iTrader: (0)

Koni sport shocks x-drive+H&R sport springs!

Hey guys. My car is 2008 335xi coupe and i got H&R springs on stock shocks.
It looks cool,but the ride comfort is terrible on a bumpy roads

So i am planning to buy Koni adjustiable sport shocks. And i want to know how much better this setup is vs stock + H&R springs?
Is it a good suspension upgrade or is it just a waste of money?
So who has the same setup please advice!!!
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
stashtrey
Major
17
Rep
1,307
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
Hey guys. My car is 2008 335xi coupe and i got H&R springs on stock shocks.
It looks cool,but the ride comfort is terrible on a bumpy roads

So i am planning to buy Koni adjustiable sport shocks. And i want to know how much better this setup is vs stock + H&R springs?
Is it a good suspension upgrade or is it just a waste of money?
So who has the same setup please advice!!!
I recently put Koni Yellow Sports and H&R Sport springs on my 08 335xi Sedan.

The ride is nice but the rear is a bit too low for my taste. I'm actually in the process of looking for an alternative spring for the rear... or if I can swing it... swapping it all out and going KW V1's so I can adjust the height. Having the right stance is much more important to me than adjustable dampening or saving a few hundred bucks.

Here are a couple threads with pics of my car just a few days after the install. I had a complete alignment done and the rear camber is kicked out pretty good.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827845

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827845

After a close to two months now it has become a real nag on me. I'm tired of seeing my rear so low at times. Sometimes it looks perfect but overall it's just too low compared to the front. Even if all jack points are equal distance from the ground... the appearance to the eye is that the front is higher than the rear.

Take from this what you will.

My current ideas are to get a set of Eibach springs and throw those on in hopes that they will fix the rear dump. If that doesn't work... I'll just go straight to KW's.

I'm pondering Tein springs but there is very little out there on any XI owners using Tein's. The Koni's are somewhat new to the XI so the majority of people on here are running Bilstein's or KW's. What is frustrating and confusing is that some people have Koni/H&R setup and their cars look perfect.

The first pics are off my car with stock 17" wheels. I recently put on 18" wheels with squared 235/40/18's and it looked good for a while then started to settle again.

It all depends on when you look at it, what angle or what the pavement is like that your car is parked on etc.

The installation shop put the rears at what I think is full soft too... so I nearly gave dad a broken back yesterday driving down the freeway from a few hard bumps/bounces.

I did track it after I had them all installed and it ran frigging great, fwiw.

I can give you part #'s. The prints are the KBA 91042 .. 29187 These are supposed to be the same as the US H&R sport springs. Did quite a bit of research before buying.

Hope this helps you. if you have the money I would go KW... I don't read any threads of anyone disappointed or upset with the way the car sits after installing them because...well... they are adjustable!

Cheers.
__________________
08 335xi Pre LCI Sedan - Titanium Silver - PTF Tuned - M Tech Rear - OEM Black Lines - M3 Rep w/ Fog Delete - AMS FMIC - BMW PE - BMS OCC - ER CP - KW V3 - Vorshlag Camber Plates - ContiContact Extreme DW - M Tech Perforated Wheeel w/ Converted LCI Paddles Shifters - Sport Seat upgrade - LED Interior Conversion - Alpina Flash - RB PCV Valvle - AFE Intake -Lux AE's -
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
plus160
Nurburgring
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (2)

Koni's and H&R springs

When you replace your stock shocks with Koni yellows you will not believe the difference, I had that set up on an e46 330i and the handling and ride was improved dramatically. Your ride height should not change much , that's dictated more by the springs or at least it was on an e46. Which H&R springs did you get?

Plus160
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
bmwm3redblack
Captain
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
14
Rep
855
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
I recently put Koni Yellow Sports and H&R Sport springs on my 08 335xi Sedan.

The ride is nice but the rear is a bit too low for my taste. I'm actually in the process of looking for an alternative spring for the rear... or if I can swing it... swapping it all out and going KW V1's so I can adjust the height. Having the right stance is much more important to me than adjustable dampening or saving a few hundred bucks.

Here are a couple threads with pics of my car just a few days after the install. I had a complete alignment done and the rear camber is kicked out pretty good.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827845

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827845

After a close to two months now it has become a real nag on me. I'm tired of seeing my rear so low at times. Sometimes it looks perfect but overall it's just too low compared to the front. Even if all jack points are equal distance from the ground... the appearance to the eye is that the front is higher than the rear.

Take from this what you will.

My current ideas are to get a set of Eibach springs and throw those on in hopes that they will fix the rear dump. If that doesn't work... I'll just go straight to KW's.

I'm pondering Tein springs but there is very little out there on any XI owners using Tein's. The Koni's are somewhat new to the XI so the majority of people on here are running Bilstein's or KW's. What is frustrating and confusing is that some people have Koni/H&R setup and their cars look perfect.

The first pics are off my car with stock 17" wheels. I recently put on 18" wheels with squared 235/40/18's and it looked good for a while then started to settle again.

It all depends on when you look at it, what angle or what the pavement is like that your car is parked on etc.

The installation shop put the rears at what I think is full soft too... so I nearly gave dad a broken back yesterday driving down the freeway from a few hard bumps/bounces.

I did track it after I had them all installed and it ran frigging great, fwiw.

I can give you part #'s. The prints are the KBA 91042 .. 29187 These are supposed to be the same as the US H&R sport springs. Did quite a bit of research before buying.

Hope this helps you. if you have the money I would go KW... I don't read any threads of anyone disappointed or upset with the way the car sits after installing them because...well... they are adjustable!

Cheers.

Thank you very much for the good review.
My car looks good now so i don't think the look will change after koni yellow be installed.
The most important question for me is ride comfort with koni vs stock?
I've heard that in Cali you've got nice roads,and in the area where i live roads are not so good. So you feel normal on a bumpy roads?
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
bmwm3redblack
Captain
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
14
Rep
855
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus160 View Post
When you replace your stock shocks with Koni yellows you will not believe the difference, I had that set up on an e46 330i and the handling and ride was improved dramatically. Your ride height should not change much , that's dictated more by the springs or at least it was on an e46. Which H&R springs did you get?

Plus160
I've got H&R sport springs and planning to buy a set of Koni adjustiable sport shocks.My car looks nice now,but ride comfort is very bad on a bumpy roads.
So what do you think, would Koni solve this problem???
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
stashtrey
Major
17
Rep
1,307
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335xi Sedan Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
I I went with koni as they have such a good reputstion. My issue is with the springs hence my comments about challenges with the H&R.
__________________
08 335xi Pre LCI Sedan - Titanium Silver - PTF Tuned - M Tech Rear - OEM Black Lines - M3 Rep w/ Fog Delete - AMS FMIC - BMW PE - BMS OCC - ER CP - KW V3 - Vorshlag Camber Plates - ContiContact Extreme DW - M Tech Perforated Wheeel w/ Converted LCI Paddles Shifters - Sport Seat upgrade - LED Interior Conversion - Alpina Flash - RB PCV Valvle - AFE Intake -Lux AE's -
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #7
plus160
Nurburgring
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (2)

Koni's and H&R springs

When you replace your stock shocks with Koni yellows you will not believe the difference, I had that set up on an e46 330i and the handling and ride was improved dramatically. Your ride height should not change much , that's dictated more by the springs or at least it was on an e46. Which H&R springs did you get?

Plus160
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST