E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > One very happy new E92 335d owner

09-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #67
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Cheers - I ddn't know that either. Are BBS the only manufacturer not able to run rft or is this the case with other manufacturers also?

It's the case with most aftermarket alloy wheels. Alloys designed for run flats have an extra locating ridge to keep the tire secure to the rim in the event there's a blow out. Most aftermarket ones don't have this ridge. I'm sure there are some out there which might work, but I'm not too sure which ones they are.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #68
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
It's a lot better when you're not using RFTs though - whoever's coming to UK4 can do a side-by-side with my car - I'm using P-Zero Neros..
Hi there, can you tell me which rims and tyre sizes you are using?
Thanks.
I will more than likely go for non-RFT's next. (Price and comfort)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #69
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Hi there, can you tell me which rims and tyre sizes you are using?
Thanks.
I will more than likely go for non-RFT's next. (Price and comfort)
I'm using the Style 230 19" wheels. The standard BMW tire size is 225/35/19 front, 255/30/19 rear. You can get these sizes in the Pirelli P-Zero Neros and Rossos. IMO, the Rossos are actually better all-round than the Neros - they last longer and have better wet weather performance. They're also noticeably quieter and a tad more comfortable. However, the Rossos aren't as good for dry weather grip (although that's relative - they're still one of the best tires out there). I got the Neros on my car because at the time I couldn't get hold of any of the Rossos and I was desperate for new tires. Shame really!

However, if you were to go for Michelin Pilot Sport 2s (make sure they're the 2s, as some places still have the original version 1s), then you will have to go up a tire size, to 235/35/19 front, and 265/35/19 rear. (They do make the original tire size ie 225/35 | 255/30 but they are incredibly difficult to get hold of) This upsizing in tire size doesn't pose a significant problem at all as the increase in rolling circumference is less than 1%. What you will find is that grip is ever so slightly increased and turn-in may be a tad sharper. The PS2s I think are probably the best tire out there at the moment, and will be the next set of tires on my car. (This PS2 tire set is used on the Alpina D3 and B3, if running 19" wheels). You will also find that the PS2 tire bulges over the edge of the rim slightly, which gives you a tiny bit of protection against kerbing... the Pirellis sit flush to the rim on my car...

Remember though that you will have to get a M-Mobility kit or something similar. The TPMS (pressure sensors in the valves) can be reused for the normal tires, so the pressure monitor system will still work as before. Make sure the tire place uses those TPMS units!

On 18" wheels, the standard tire size is 225/40/18 front 255/35/18 rear. These sizes are very common and you can find lots of tires to suit - again Pirellis or Michelin would be the best bet IMO.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #70
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm using the Style 230 19" wheels. The standard BMW tire size is 225/35/19 front, 255/30/19 rear. You can get these sizes in the Pirelli P-Zero Neros and Rossos. IMO, the Rossos are actually better all-round than the Neros - they last longer and have better wet weather performance. They're also noticeably quieter and a tad more comfortable. However, the Rossos aren't as good for dry weather grip (although that's relative - they're still one of the best tires out there). I got the Neros on my car because at the time I couldn't get hold of any of the Rossos and I was desperate for new tires. Shame really!

However, if you were to go for Michelin Pilot Sport 2s (make sure they're the 2s, as some places still have the original version 1s), then you will have to go up a tire size, to 235/35/19 front, and 265/35/19 rear. (They do make the original tire size ie 225/35 | 255/30 but they are incredibly difficult to get hold of) This upsizing in tire size doesn't pose a significant problem at all as the increase in rolling circumference is less than 1%. What you will find is that grip is ever so slightly increased and turn-in may be a tad sharper. The PS2s I think are probably the best tire out there at the moment, and will be the next set of tires on my car. (This PS2 tire set is used on the Alpina D3 and B3, if running 19" wheels). You will also find that the PS2 tire bulges over the edge of the rim slightly, which gives you a tiny bit of protection against kerbing... the Pirellis sit flush to the rim on my car...

Remember though that you will have to get a M-Mobility kit or something similar. The TPMS (pressure sensors in the valves) can be reused for the normal tires, so the pressure monitor system will still work as before. Make sure the tire place uses those TPMS units!

On 18" wheels, the standard tire size is 225/40/18 front 255/35/18 rear. These sizes are very common and you can find lots of tires to suit - again Pirellis or Michelin would be the best bet IMO.

Tony
Hi Tony, Thank you very much for that detailed answer. Much appreciated. I will print this out and keep for future reference as hopefully I will not need to be changing the tyres for a good while yet. I have 3500 miles done now in 3 and half months.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #71
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Hi Tony, Thank you very much for that detailed answer. Much appreciated. I will print this out and keep for future reference as hopefully I will not need to be changing the tyres for a good while yet. I have 3500 miles done now in 3 and half months.
You'll be fine for a good many more months yet. Just beware of checking the tire pressures and making sure they're correct. RFTs have a tendancy (especially the Bridgestone 050) to feather and wear at the edges if they're not inflated correctly. You might also want to consider taking out tire insurance as others on the forum have advised me to do.... i'll dig out the thread link and post it up again..

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #72
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

Quote:
You'll be fine for a good many more months yet. Just beware of checking the tire pressures and making sure they're correct. RFTs have a tendancy (especially the Bridgestone 050) to feather and wear at the edges if they're not inflated correctly. You might also want to consider taking out tire insurance as others on the forum have advised me to do.... i'll dig out the thread link and post it up again..

Tony
I think that is good advice, I took the tyre insurance and I kepe meaning to buy a decent digital tyre pressure gauge.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #73
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I think that is good advice, I took the tyre insurance and I kepe meaning to buy a decent digital tyre pressure gauge.
The best digital gauge is actually from Halfords - I think they label it as the 'professional' version - it comes in a metal oblong case, silver in colour, and the gauge itself is polished steel with a black rubber grip. It has a red LED display and can switch between PSI and bar. I think it's around the 25-30 mark (can't remember though) but it's very very accurate.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 03:49 AM   #74
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
The best digital gauge is actually from Halfords - I think they label it as the 'professional' version - it comes in a metal oblong case, silver in colour, and the gauge itself is polished steel with a black rubber grip. It has a red LED display and can switch between PSI and bar. I think it's around the 25-30 mark (can't remember though) but it's very very accurate.
Is anything from Halfrauds ''professional''
      09-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #75
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: MY12 Range Rover Sport HSE

I've seen a couple on fleabay for about a fiver, thought I would give one of them a try!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 04:29 AM   #76
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Tony
I checked the pressures last nite - was showing about 2.4 bar for the fronts and 2.8 bar for the rears.
This may be a little on the hard side - but probably better to keep RFT's this way I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #77
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I've seen a couple on fleabay for about a fiver, thought I would give one of them a try!
Appreciate 0