Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > AV 359M questions!



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

More
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #24
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

More
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
07tundra
Major
United_States
17
Rep
1,128
Posts

 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

iTrader: (9)

What will sit flush an et38 is far from flush if you are talking about the rim being flush with the fender. An et22 is pretty flush with fender the rim that is. That tire is pretty darn wide i bet it will look really nice. Especially a rear shot(no homo)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #26
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

When saying flush I meant tire to rim look! I am not a fan of the stretched look.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
madbim
Private
United_States
0
Rep
79
Posts

 
Drives: 08' E90 335xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (0)

lets see these on the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
tiemedown
Private First Class
tiemedown's Avatar
1
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbim View Post
lets see these on the car!
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
surfcity335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
265/35 is over 26 inches in diameter and over 3 percent difference between the front and rear wheel dimensions, which would truly mess up speedo readings, cause rubbing in the rear, and transform the handling capabilities of your vehicle...in a bad way, leading to unpredictable handling characteristics, including snap oversteer in extreme cases. The back end would be sticking up in the air pushing more vehicle weight forward in that forward lean and affect the neutral weight distribution of nearly 50/50 percent ratio front and back.

That is why it is important to have wheels match front to back in wheel height. Doesn't matter about width. If you're going in a straight line, as in drag racing, tire dimensions don't really matter, but if you intend to have better handling characteristics, then you must tune the wheels to match what the engineers tuned the chassis for optimum handling.

What I have seen, 235/35F, 275/30R is the best ratio for 19-inch wheels...slightly larger in the back, but well within the tolerances for good handling...unless all you want is show and not go.

Your choice...G/L
But doesn't wheel width also play into the equation? The same tire on a 9.0 v. a 10.0 will be a taller tire and have a higher circumference, no? And I'm being sincere with the question. I'm a relative noob when it comes to tire and wheel fitment issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
surfcity335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (1)

Ok, somebody help me get my brain around some TireRack fitment calculator numbers. Hypo: 10" wide 19" wheel. Old tire is a 255/30 and the new tire is a 275/30. New tire installed in .5" taller than old. Calculator says speedo at 60 will read 61. For some reason this is the opposite of what my brain tells me. I mean, if the new tire/wheel is taller and thus the car travels further with each revolution of the axle, shouldn't the speedo be reading under actual speed rather than over it when the new 275's are installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
flip4335's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,833
Posts

 
Drives: like it's rented
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: behind the wheel

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
Ok, somebody help me get my brain around some TireRack fitment calculator numbers. Hypo: 10" wide 19" wheel. Old tire is a 255/30 and the new tire is a 275/30. New tire installed in .5" taller than old. Calculator says speedo at 60 will read 61. For some reason this is the opposite of what my brain tells me. I mean, if the new tire/wheel is taller and thus the car travels further with each revolution of the axle, shouldn't the speedo be reading under actual speed rather than over it when the new 275's are installed?
When the speedo reads 60 mph, the vehicle is actually traveling at 61 mph, because the tire is taller and it has farther to go per revolution than the smaller tire.

Imagine laying out the two treads flat on the ground. The taller tire is longer than the shorter tire. In essence, you have to make the wheel go faster with the taller tire to make one revolution equivalent to the smaller tire.

One revolution with the taller tire will seem slower because it is longer. For example, if it takes 5 seconds to make one revolution with the small tire, and it takes maybe 7 seconds on the taller tire at the same tempo or speed, the taller tire must spin faster to match the time it takes the small tire to make one revolution.

Thus, when the smaller wheel is going at 60mph, the taller tire, due to its length, must spin faster in order to get it to the same speedo reading as the smaller tire. The speedo reads 60mph with the taller tire, but the car will actually be going 61 mph, compared to the smaller tire.

Hope that makes sense.
__________________

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #32
surfcity335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
The speedo reads 60mph with the taller tire, but the car will actually be going 61 mph, compared to the smaller tire.

Hope that makes sense.
Well, I agree with some of what you said and also think some of it is factually inaccurate. Nevertheless, read my post carefully. The TireRack calculator says that with the taller tire mounted, the speedo will say 61 when the car is really going 60. Not vice versa like you say it should (and I agree with).

My thinking is that, essentially, the car will cover more distance per revolution of the axle on the taller tires, therfore making it go more miles per hour than the shorter tire when the axles are spinning at identical RPM's. Hence, with taller tires (or a larger overall diameter) the speedo should read 60 when the car is really doing 61. Please tell me how I am wrong here.

Last edited by surfcity335i; 05-18-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #33
Blindside_137
Major General
Blindside_137's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC // Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (1)

Looks great! I'm still debating if I should do the 275 rear or keep my 265 and use a meaty spacer to move my ET38 to like ET23
__________________
M3 Edition Grilles|Painted Reflectors|Matte Black Vinyl Window Trim|CF Performance Spoiler|35% Tint|19" Satin Black Avant Garde M359|Lux H8 V3
OEM Aero Lip|M3 Side Skirts|LCI Tails|M-tech Rear|Duke Dynamics CF Performance|Cyba 4.0 Black Chrome
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #34
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
flip4335's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,833
Posts

 
Drives: like it's rented
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: behind the wheel

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
Well, I agree with some of what you said and also think some of it is factually inaccurate. Nevertheless, read my post carefully. The TireRack calculator says that with the taller tire mounted, the speedo will say 61 when the car is really going 60. Not vice versa like you say it should (and I agree with).

My thinking is that, essentially, the car will cover more distance per revolution of the axle on the taller tires, therfore making it go more miles per hour than the shorter tire when the axles are spinning at identical RPM's. Hence, with taller tires (or a larger overall diameter) the speedo should read 60 when the car is really doing 61. Please tell me how I am wrong here.
Man, I musta been drunk when I sent that to you. I stand corrected and apologize for anything I said that was factually inaccurate.

So, when the speedo reads 60 mph for the taller tire at the same rpms as the smaller tire, the car would actually be moving at a slower pace, because the damn tire is taller and has longer to go to make one revolution as opposed to the smaller tire.
__________________

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canton, GA

iTrader: (1)

Got any pic of them on your car? If so post'em up!!
__________________
2007 E90 SGM..ZSP..6 man..NAV..Logic7...Sleeper
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #36
surfcity335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Coupe E92
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Man, I musta been drunk when I sent that to you. I stand corrected and apologize for anything I said that was factually inaccurate.

So, when the speedo reads 60 mph for the taller tire at the same rpms as the smaller tire, the car would actually be moving at a slower pace, because the damn tire is taller and has longer to go to make one revolution as opposed to the smaller tire.
I think you still have it wrong. In the first sentence of your first post you had it right.

Assume that the rate at which the axle is spinning is the same for both tires (and therefore the speedo reads the same for both because its readout is dictated by wheel speed based upon an assumption of stock setup and not distance traveled). The taller tire will be traveling a further distance per revolution of the axle, right? Therefore, more miles per hour? Someone please come in here and rescue us with some logic. Unless flip4335 has it right and I just can't get my head around it.

Conclusion: The Tire Rack Calcualtor is worded wrong and should say: When Speedo Says 60mph, Actual Speed Will Be _______.

Last edited by surfcity335i; 05-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
Bonifaxio
New Member
Bonifaxio's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
21
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330Xi Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335icasa View Post
So after doing a lot of research on this forum and going through the different options I finally opted for the following setup:

Avant garde hyper silver
9x19 et 35 tire continental 245 35
9x10 et 38 rear with continental 275 30

The look of the car with this thing is mean, it finally gave the twin turbo beast under the hood a reason to be there. The oem wheels were just not aggressive enough for this car.

They sit flush, look fantastic and I do not rub whatsoever
I am on stock suspension on a pre lci e90.
Will post more pictures tomorrow !!

Thanks to Ivan @ pyspeed service is great, support is clear and delivery was superfast! And I live in Casablanca which is halfway around the world!
I want to get the same exact setup (rims not the tires).
This is the same setup i was recommended by two different resellers.
However, I have a 2006 330Xi (xDrive)!
what's the offset difference in an xDrive model vs RWD?
If i get this setup, will there be any rubbing?
Please help!

note: I will be lowering the car by 1.3" in the front and 1.2" in the rear this weekend.
Don't know what to do for tires yet but I want Hankook V12s.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

Pics
Hope they are clear enough!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #39
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

More pics
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #40
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

This view gives a clearer idea of the offset, I need 10mm spacers in the back for sure!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

Ok last 2 shots! I think I need a drop! I'm afraid I will rub!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #42
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
flip4335's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,833
Posts

 
Drives: like it's rented
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: behind the wheel

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Congrats on the nice shoes!
__________________

BMWCCA Member # 414198 Slightly Modded|e90|SGM|6MT|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|Blackline |219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix|AR Catted|Cobb
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #43
bmw335icasa
Private
Morocco
3
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i 07
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Casablanca

iTrader: (0)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #44
iwanna335
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 SGM, ZSP, 6m, Nav
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canton, GA

iTrader: (1)

Looks great, congrats!
__________________
2007 E90 SGM..ZSP..6 man..NAV..Logic7...Sleeper
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST