E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Adjusting Koni struts...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
casualsurfer
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Adjusting Koni struts...

I had Koni/Eibach installed and love the setup. However I think I had the Koni struts set too soft and want to notch up the stiffness. Is there a way to do this without disassembling the entire suspension? It's easier in the front I guess with only the STB to remove, but any suggestion on the rears?
casualsurfer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 4,831
iTrader: (1)

you have to remove the whole liner and leave it off. adjust accordingly to your liking (drive around for a week and adjust to your road conditions) and button up everything OR cut a hole in the lining.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
#Tee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
I had Koni/Eibach installed and love the setup. However I think I had the Koni struts set too soft and want to notch up the stiffness. Is there a way to do this without disassembling the entire suspension? It's easier in the front I guess with only the STB to remove, but any suggestion on the rears?
Somebody, I can't remember who, came up with a way to adjust the rears without removing the shock entirely. You still have to unbolt the upper mount out of the fender well, drop the assembly down, then remove the mount, bump stop, and dust boot from the shaft. Then press the rod into the shock body as usual, just you're not removing it from the lower control arm. Have not done it myself but plan to next time I have it apart. Not quite as bad as taking the whole thing out. Still a PIA.

The problem is you cannot get the rod far enough down into the shock body to engage the adjuster mechanism, even with just the bump stop on. Everything has to come off. I tried this on the garage floor before putting them in, I was hoping to only need to drop the mount out but not remove anything else off the shaft. No way.

TC Kline makes a top adjust version of the rears, but they are pretty $$$.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Fraggy
Brigadier General
 
Fraggy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e90
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego

Posts: 3,313
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Somebody, I can't remember who, came up with a way to adjust the rears without removing the shock entirely. You still have to unbolt the upper mount out of the fender well, drop the assembly down, then remove the mount, bump stop, and dust boot from the shaft. Then press the rod into the shock body as usual, just you're not removing it from the lower control arm. Have not done it myself but plan to next time I have it apart. Not quite as bad as taking the whole thing out. Still a PIA.

The problem is you cannot get the rod far enough down into the shock body to engage the adjuster mechanism, even with just the bump stop on. Everything has to come off. I tried this on the garage floor before putting them in, I was hoping to only need to drop the mount out but not remove anything else off the shaft. No way.

TC Kline makes a top adjust version of the rears, but they are pretty $$$.
I had them, about 2x the price, but the convenience was worth it. Luckily I already had holes in the lining from the PSS9s before.
__________________
Step--Premium--Sport--Nav--20% Tint--Blacklines--18" Beyern Mesh--Michelin Super Sports--Bastuck Exhaust--M3 Steering Wheel--BMW Performance Springs--Koni--M3 Front/Rear Sways--
Fraggy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I had them, about 2x the price, but the convenience was worth it. Luckily I already had holes in the lining from the PSS9s before.
A used set of these TCK koni rears went up on eBay recently. Went through several cycles not meeting reserve. Finally went for 375/pr.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST