E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Timing belt



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
xcyx
Private
 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Timing belt

Hi,

Just a question regarding the timing belt on an e92, when.does it need to.be changed?

Thank you
xcyx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
 
mlifxs's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I beleve it's a timing chain. Have not seen a post where someone changed as a maintenance item.
__________________
AA Stage 2 - M3 control Arms FR - BMW PS2 - Dinan springs - APEX EC-7 - H&R front swaybar - GC street camber plates - Whiteline subframe inserts
mlifxs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
 
VTECaddict's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 4,619
iTrader: (4)

It's a chain. Doesn't need replacing.
__________________
AW/Terra | ZSP | ZPP | ZCW | iDrive | CA
Mods: BC BR | OEM Blacklines | M-tech rear | custom dual exhaust | M3 steering wheel | BMW SSK | ZHP shift knob | BMW Performance rep spoiler
Varrstoen ES1 19x9.5+20 Front, 19x11+25 rear
VTECaddict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
xcyx
Private
 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys!
xcyx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Ansonlai
Private First Class
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Perth, WA

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It's a chain. Doesn't need replacing.
May I ask how long will the chain normally be last for?
Ansonlai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
willsull80
Push the skinny pedal granny this is a DE!
 
Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Sport package
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham AL

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

The only thing I know of on the chain is the guide need to be changed to keep proper tension on the chain (loose chain not good)

If you do decide to change your chain you will need some special tools to hold the cams in place. As well if you do that you might as well rebuild the VANOS heads when you have all of that apart
__________________
List of Mods: 1/4 tank of gas (for weight reduction), cut hole out behind gas pedal for more throttle.

willsull80 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Johnny D
Major
 
Johnny D's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hot Springs, AR

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
As some have stated...

It's a chain not a belt.

Things that will eventually need replaced.
#7 chain tensioner
#2 chain guide rail
#3 slide rail
#1 Chain
#4 & 5
#12
#6

Honestly with this motor I would safely say that they should be fine until 150k miles or more. You could always call BMW and ask when they recommend maintenance.

__________________
Johnny D is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Rival
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 95 z28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shytown

Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

/\/\/\/\

i wouldnt worry about it til 160-170k. unless you track you car often, daily driving wont create much wear if any.
__________________
2008 328i 6spd
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Rival is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
 
manutdas11's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Just make sure the chain guide is alright. Mine broke off and the rattle its makes sounds similar to the infamous ticking of the lifters. I didn't replace it and went a few months thinking it was the lifters and...it blew a hole in the oil pump and caused my vacuum pump to fail therefore causing loss of power to the brake booster and I had no brakes. Luckily I didn't have an accident as this all happened one night a few miles from home. I ended up replacing my engine.
__________________
2007 Jet Black E90 328i
Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825249
Instagram: manutd_as
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
doogee
Private First Class
 
doogee's Avatar
 
Drives: '98 328is, '06 325i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

Posts: 132
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
/\/\/\/\

i wouldnt worry about it til 160-170k. unless you track you car often, daily driving wont create much wear if any.
What a silly comment. Please ignore this people.
doogee is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
May I ask how long will the chain normally be last for?
In theory, the chain is rated to last "the life of the engine," which obviously doesn't mean a whole lot other than, with HIGH likelihood, the you'll dump the car before such a time as it needs replacing.
__________________
alexwhittemore is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
infidel335
Lieutenant
 
infidel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 420
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
What a silly comment. Please ignore this people.
And what do you offer in response? Nonconstructive criticism?
__________________

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | aFe air scoops | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
infidel335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
CombatNinja
Banned
 
CombatNinja's Avatar
 
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (0)

Most chain guide systems are good for 150k+ with no issues. There are many, many early N52s with well over 100,000k with no trend of this being an issue. Plus, the vast majority of the time you will have some rattling for an extended period of time that gives you plenty of fair warning before it lets go. My guess is that the electronics in the e90s will crap out long before the timing chains.
CombatNinja is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

Posts: 3,424
iTrader: (0)

LOL.

Man, you guys worry waaaay to much. It's a timing chain and is designed to last the life of the engine; just the same as the oil pump, bearings, pistons, rings, and all the other internal engine parts. If it had a replacement interval, then BMW would design the engine to easily replace it (e.g. a timing belt).

Yes, it cold fail due to improper assembly, or a manufacturing defect in one of the parts in the system, but it is DESIGNED to last the life of the engine. The design-life of the engine is well past 150,000 miles.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Delusive
Major
 
Delusive's Avatar
 
Drives: Static E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 1,485
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LOL.

Man, you guys worry waaaay to much. It's a timing chain and is designed to last the life of the engine; just the same as the oil pump, bearings, pistons, rings, and all the other internal engine parts. If it had a replacement interval, then BMW would design the engine to easily replace it (e.g. a timing belt).

Yes, it cold fail due to improper assembly, or a manufacturing defect in one of the parts in the system, but it is DESIGNED to last the life of the engine. The design-life of the engine is well past 150,000 miles.




Read manutdas11 post, does that sounds like it lasted the life of the engine? you must be from the stealership because that's what they all say

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdas11 View Post
Just make sure the chain guide is alright. Mine broke off and the rattle its makes sounds similar to the infamous ticking of the lifters. I didn't replace it and went a few months thinking it was the lifters and...it blew a hole in the oil pump and caused my vacuum pump to fail therefore causing loss of power to the brake booster and I had no brakes. Luckily I didn't have an accident as this all happened one night a few miles from home. I ended up replacing my engine.
__________________
Delusive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post


Read manutdas11 post, does that sounds like it lasted the life of the engine? you must be from the stealership because that's what they all say
I'm curious to hear more, but that's an unbelievably atypical situation and I'm curious as to how a missing guard leads to a hole in the oil pump. There are lots of missing details.
__________________
alexwhittemore is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
 
manutdas11's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post


Read manutdas11 post, does that sounds like it lasted the life of the engine? you must be from the stealership because that's what they all say
I'm curious to hear more, but that's an unbelievably atypical situation and I'm curious as to how a missing guard leads to a hole in the oil pump. There are lots of missing details.
As it was stated above, there is a rattling sound that gives you plenty of warning. I mistook it for the sound of the lifter, thus leaving the issue unattended while I found out what to do about the supposed lifter tick problem. That whole lower region by the engine was a mess and there was an uncontrollable oil leak for a couple days non stop. After the defective parts were confirmed: (timing belt, oil pump, brake booster), there were shavings from the oil pump everywhere. How the timing belt lead to the oil pump getting a hole blown through it and the brake booster failing beats me, but it happened. It may not be common, but that doesn't mean it may or may not happen to another fellow N51/52 owner. I just thought I'd share my experience and if it helps someone then great, if not then all the same. Cheers.
__________________
2007 Jet Black E90 328i
Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825249
Instagram: manutd_as
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

Posts: 3,424
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post




Read manutdas11 post, does that sounds like it lasted the life of the engine? you must be from the stealership because that's what they all say
Just pointing out that I wrote:

"Yes, it cold fail due to improper assembly, or a manufacturing defect in one of the parts in the system, but it is DESIGNED to last the life of the engine. The design-life of the engine is well past 150,000 miles."

So manutdas11 had an engine failure (sorry to hear that) due to a broken timing chain guide, which caused by either of the two scenarios I stated, it doesn't mean the timing chain and related components are a maintenance item with a specific replacement interval, such as spark plugs.

Read the Post, dude.
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

Posts: 3,424
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdas11 View Post
As it was stated above, there is a rattling sound that gives you plenty of warning. I mistook it for the sound of the lifter, thus leaving the issue unattended while I found out what to do about the supposed lifter tick problem. That whole lower region by the engine was a mess and there was an uncontrollable oil leak for a couple days non stop. After the defective parts were confirmed: (timing belt, oil pump, brake booster), there were shavings from the oil pump everywhere. How the timing belt lead to the oil pump getting a hole blown through it and the brake booster failing beats me, but it happened. It may not be common, but that doesn't mean it may or may not happen to another fellow N51/52 owner. I just thought I'd share my experience and if it helps someone then great, if not then all the same. Cheers.
What mileage did the grenade at?
Efthreeoh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
 
manutdas11's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdas11 View Post
As it was stated above, there is a rattling sound that gives you plenty of warning. I mistook it for the sound of the lifter, thus leaving the issue unattended while I found out what to do about the supposed lifter tick problem. That whole lower region by the engine was a mess and there was an uncontrollable oil leak for a couple days non stop. After the defective parts were confirmed: (timing belt, oil pump, brake booster), there were shavings from the oil pump everywhere. How the timing belt lead to the oil pump getting a hole blown through it and the brake booster failing beats me, but it happened. It may not be common, but that doesn't mean it may or may not happen to another fellow N51/52 owner. I just thought I'd share my experience and if it helps someone then great, if not then all the same. Cheers.
What mileage did the grenade at?
It happened around the 85,xxx mark, man. It was unexpected too. Out of the blue. I did all maintenance on time and even some preventative maintenance to make sure the car lasted...but sometimes you can never tell when something unexpected like that can happen. : Oh well. I look forward to getting her back though. Ha
__________________
2007 Jet Black E90 328i
Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825249
Instagram: manutd_as
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST