E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Front view camera.....suggestions?

06-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
WRichieX
Captain

Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Front view camera.....suggestions?

I just bought a trunk latch rear view Camera and miltimedia interface module and figure I should just add a front camera as well. For those that have added this, what cameras did you use? Is ir cameras worth it? Most importantly, where did you place the camera in the front. Pics would be great. Thanks.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
WRichieX is offline   United_States
      06-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
WRichieX
Captain

Garage List
No one has a front view camera?

06-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
McAuley7
@McAuley7

Drives: 2007 328i

Go Pro lol?
      06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
afsar
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 535d

What is the purpose of front camera, rear camera is for reverse parking, what are you going to use front camera for? I would recommend Go Pro but it is not small so will standout.

I use BlackVue DR 500.
Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics, DVB-T TV, JBL MS-8, JL HD900/5 + HD600/4, Morel HO II, Morel Integra XO, JL 12W6v2 and Jehnert in Audio.
afsar is offline   United Kingdom
      06-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
WRichieX
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
What is the purpose of front camera, rear camera is for reverse parking, what are you going to use front camera for? I would recommend Go Pro but it is not small so will standout.

I use BlackVue DR 500.
I figure since I'm installing a rearview, might as well do front too while I'm at it. It's just another thing to plug into the multimedia unit. Basically want a way to gauge the front when parking so I don't mess up my bumper (Just in case). I was thinking of going the route of a blackbox solution too.

06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
shadow191
Captain

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

I have one, but not yet hooked up. Just got one on eBay, mounted it to the top of the center opening in the front bumper. It's pretty inconspicuous with the black mesh behind it. Should have it running in a day or two.
      06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
afsar
First Lieutenant

wow thats good idea, but hang on that won't capture if anyone comes and hits your car on the fender (very common) also any accident will surely damage the camera first. Wonder if you can even retrieve your blackbox as it will be the first one to get the impact.
Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics, DVB-T TV, JBL MS-8, JL HD900/5 + HD600/4, Morel HO II, Morel Integra XO, JL 12W6v2 and Jehnert in Audio.
      06-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

A forward looking camera, hugh? Really?

I can see why the military have them on their jets. I can't see why it would be necessary on a car. Do you often find it hard to judge when to stop before hitting the curb when you pull into a parking spot? If so, maybe it is something you need, but it seems like a waste of money to me.

Rearward looking cameras make some sense to me, especially if one has kids who may be back there or who may have left stuff back there. But being fully aware of what's in front of your car is pretty much an obligation you have to meet at all times when driving, and judging the distance between the front of your car and objects ahead of you is, IMO, a mandatory driving skill that obviates the need for a camera such as the one you asked about, OP. Let's face facts, it's pretty unlikely that something is going to sneak up in front of you, and the camera is going to be of no use at all if something appears in front of you so quickly that you can't avoid hitting it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
      06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I have one, but not yet hooked up. Just got one on eBay, mounted it to the top of the center opening in the front bumper. It's pretty inconspicuous with the black mesh behind it. Should have it running in a day or two.
I know people with car cams but they all mount inside the cabin. reason for mounting out side? Won't rain/snow/dirt affect performance?
      06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
WRichieX
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I've seen those ebay ones. Let me know how the quality is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

I can see why the military have them on their jets. I can't see why it would be necessary on a car. Do you often find it hard to judge when to stop before hitting the curb when you pull into a parking spot? If so, maybe it is something you need, but it seems like a waste of money to me.

Rearward looking cameras make some sense to me, especially if one has kids who may be back there or who may have left stuff back there. But being fully aware of what's in front of your car is pretty much an obligation you have to meet at all times when driving, and judging the distance between the front of your car and objects ahead of you is, IMO, a mandatory driving skill that obviates the need for a camera such as the one you asked about, OP. Let's face facts, it's pretty unlikely that something is going to sneak up in front of you, and the camera is going to be of no use at all if something appears in front of you so quickly that you can't avoid hitting it.
It's just something to use for parking. Not for on the fly prevention. I agree it's not something I would probably use often. Again, since I'm installing the rear, why not install the front too since it's just one more thing to plug into the unit. These cameras are like $20-30 from what I'm seeing. If the 3 series already had a rearview, I probably would never put it on but since I'm doing a whole install, why not? lol.

06-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
WRichieX
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
wow thats good idea, but hang on that won't capture if anyone comes and hits your car on the fender (very common) also any accident will surely damage the camera first. Wonder if you can even retrieve your blackbox as it will be the first one to get the impact.
The black box would be inside the car.

06-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
afsar
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

I have camera for this reason:

and this reason:

I have been bitten by this sort of thing once don't want repeat.