E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Front view camera.....suggestions?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
WRichieX
Captain
WRichieX's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Front view camera.....suggestions?

I just bought a trunk latch rear view Camera and miltimedia interface module and figure I should just add a front camera as well. For those that have added this, what cameras did you use? Is ir cameras worth it? Most importantly, where did you place the camera in the front. Pics would be great. Thanks.
__________________

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
WRichieX
Captain
WRichieX's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No one has a front view camera?
__________________

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
McAuley7
@McAuley7
McAuley7's Avatar
4
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Go Pro lol?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
afsar
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
6
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (2)

What is the purpose of front camera, rear camera is for reverse parking, what are you going to use front camera for? I would recommend Go Pro but it is not small so will standout.

I use BlackVue DR 500.
__________________
X5 40d M Sports - Fully loaded, 7 seats.
Sold 535d LCI, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, ACC 2 (Stop and Go), LDW/TLC
Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
WRichieX
Captain
WRichieX's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
What is the purpose of front camera, rear camera is for reverse parking, what are you going to use front camera for? I would recommend Go Pro but it is not small so will standout.

I use BlackVue DR 500.
I figure since I'm installing a rearview, might as well do front too while I'm at it. It's just another thing to plug into the multimedia unit. Basically want a way to gauge the front when parking so I don't mess up my bumper (Just in case). I was thinking of going the route of a blackbox solution too.
__________________

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
shadow191
Major
10
Rep
1,044
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: GA

iTrader: (3)

I have one, but not yet hooked up. Just got one on eBay, mounted it to the top of the center opening in the front bumper. It's pretty inconspicuous with the black mesh behind it. Should have it running in a day or two.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
afsar
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
6
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (2)

wow thats good idea, but hang on that won't capture if anyone comes and hits your car on the fender (very common) also any accident will surely damage the camera first. Wonder if you can even retrieve your blackbox as it will be the first one to get the impact.
__________________
X5 40d M Sports - Fully loaded, 7 seats.
Sold 535d LCI, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, ACC 2 (Stop and Go), LDW/TLC
Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
tony20009
Brigadier General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
130
Rep
4,588
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

A forward looking camera, hugh? Really?

I can see why the military have them on their jets. I can't see why it would be necessary on a car. Do you often find it hard to judge when to stop before hitting the curb when you pull into a parking spot? If so, maybe it is something you need, but it seems like a waste of money to me.

Rearward looking cameras make some sense to me, especially if one has kids who may be back there or who may have left stuff back there. But being fully aware of what's in front of your car is pretty much an obligation you have to meet at all times when driving, and judging the distance between the front of your car and objects ahead of you is, IMO, a mandatory driving skill that obviates the need for a camera such as the one you asked about, OP. Let's face facts, it's pretty unlikely that something is going to sneak up in front of you, and the camera is going to be of no use at all if something appears in front of you so quickly that you can't avoid hitting it.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
upstatedoc's Avatar
50
Rep
1,583
Posts

 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I have one, but not yet hooked up. Just got one on eBay, mounted it to the top of the center opening in the front bumper. It's pretty inconspicuous with the black mesh behind it. Should have it running in a day or two.
I know people with car cams but they all mount inside the cabin. reason for mounting out side? Won't rain/snow/dirt affect performance?
__________________
2014 S.S. P938 Nightmare
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
WRichieX
Captain
WRichieX's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I have one, but not yet hooked up. Just got one on eBay, mounted it to the top of the center opening in the front bumper. It's pretty inconspicuous with the black mesh behind it. Should have it running in a day or two.
I've seen those ebay ones. Let me know how the quality is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
A forward looking camera, hugh? Really?

I can see why the military have them on their jets. I can't see why it would be necessary on a car. Do you often find it hard to judge when to stop before hitting the curb when you pull into a parking spot? If so, maybe it is something you need, but it seems like a waste of money to me.

Rearward looking cameras make some sense to me, especially if one has kids who may be back there or who may have left stuff back there. But being fully aware of what's in front of your car is pretty much an obligation you have to meet at all times when driving, and judging the distance between the front of your car and objects ahead of you is, IMO, a mandatory driving skill that obviates the need for a camera such as the one you asked about, OP. Let's face facts, it's pretty unlikely that something is going to sneak up in front of you, and the camera is going to be of no use at all if something appears in front of you so quickly that you can't avoid hitting it.
It's just something to use for parking. Not for on the fly prevention. I agree it's not something I would probably use often. Again, since I'm installing the rear, why not install the front too since it's just one more thing to plug into the unit. These cameras are like $20-30 from what I'm seeing. If the 3 series already had a rearview, I probably would never put it on but since I'm doing a whole install, why not? lol.
__________________

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
WRichieX
Captain
WRichieX's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
955
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afsar View Post
wow thats good idea, but hang on that won't capture if anyone comes and hits your car on the fender (very common) also any accident will surely damage the camera first. Wonder if you can even retrieve your blackbox as it will be the first one to get the impact.
The black box would be inside the car.
__________________

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
afsar
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
6
Rep
391
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
A forward looking camera, hugh? Really?

I can see why the military have them on their jets. I can't see why it would be necessary on a car. Do you often find it hard to judge when to stop before hitting the curb when you pull into a parking spot? If so, maybe it is something you need, but it seems like a waste of money to me.

Rearward looking cameras make some sense to me, especially if one has kids who may be back there or who may have left stuff back there. But being fully aware of what's in front of your car is pretty much an obligation you have to meet at all times when driving, and judging the distance between the front of your car and objects ahead of you is, IMO, a mandatory driving skill that obviates the need for a camera such as the one you asked about, OP. Let's face facts, it's pretty unlikely that something is going to sneak up in front of you, and the camera is going to be of no use at all if something appears in front of you so quickly that you can't avoid hitting it.
I have camera for this reason:



and this reason:



I have been bitten by this sort of thing once don't want repeat.
__________________
X5 40d M Sports - Fully loaded, 7 seats.
Sold 535d LCI, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, ACC 2 (Stop and Go), LDW/TLC
Retrofits M5 heated/lumbar/memory and active backrest adjustment seats, rear heated and folding g seats, SAT Shifter, paddles (SA2TB), HUD, Rear blinds, Electric steering column, SA430 Folding and EC Mirrors, High Beam Assist, CIC, COMBOX Telematics.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST