E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2011 328 X Drive Binding

05-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
ratdog040

Drives: 2006 325

2011 328 X Drive Binding

I purchased a flood car a couple weeks ago. The car has 5200 miles on it and everything seems to work with the exception of a passenger seat sensor and passenger seatbelt clip and 2 - O2 sensors. I am having problems when I am at slow speed and making a turn like pulling in or out of the drive way. It seems that the wheels are binding. This only happens at slow speed and otherwise the car drives and runs perfect. I was told that it was the transfer case but do not want to start buying parts for nothing. HELP !!
      05-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
zipstic
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
Aren't you still under the factory warranty?? I'd have the dealer take a look at it.
      05-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Jeffman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
I may be wrong, but I suspect the title shows the car was flooded and I further suspect this voids any warranty.
      05-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
keitaro0202

Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR View Post
I may be wrong, but I suspect the title shows the car was flooded and I further suspect this voids any warranty.
+1 once the car got flood title no more warranty except recall
      05-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

If it was in water for a long time esp salt water I would look at the CV joints and all of the steering pieces. Anything with a rubber boot over it might have gotten water into it & corroded, incl big bushings on control arms. Could be anything but if it grinds only on corners look hard at anything that moves or loads up when you steer. Hell, even wheel bearings, etc. etc.
      05-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
ratdog040

There is no warranty on this car as it is a flood car. The car runs and drives awesome . It is just when you are moving very slow and make a sharp turn it seems to bind. like backing out of the driveway. I had the diffs drained and refilled and also the tranfer case drained and refilled. but did not make a difference. Was told by mechanic that it is the transfer case. Any thoughts HELP !!!!!!
      05-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
BMWWW
Private First Class

Drives: BMW

Chasing down little things on a flood-title, wouldn't want to touch that with a 10ft pole.

Advice? Don't drive slow, pedal to the metal or 11/10ths all day. Problem solved.
/sorry,nothelping

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

05-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog040 View Post
There is no warranty on this car as it is a flood car. The car runs and drives awesome . It is just when you are moving very slow and make a sharp turn it seems to bind. like backing out of the driveway. I had the diffs drained and refilled and also the tranfer case drained and refilled. but did not make a difference. Was told by mechanic that it is the transfer case. Any thoughts HELP !!!!!!
Why would the transfer case make noise going slow and turning. Doesn't make sense. Also TC is disengaged at very low speeds anyway.

If it makes noise turning look at stuff that moves or is stressed only while turning. I mean come on. You have provided zero info for anyone to suggest anything more. Get the car up on a lift and look at it.
      05-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
zipstic
Lieutenant

Garage List
My bad, I didn't know it was flooded.

As others have said I would look at the control arm bushings, CV joints, tire rod ends, etc. My guess would be the TREs since it happens at low speeds while turning. Any noise when going over small bumps at low speeds going straight?
      05-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
ratdog040

Going on the lift today will check it out Thanks for the feed back
      06-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
ozzy1
Private First Class

Drives: e90 - 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog040
Could also be the handbrake, if it's the rear wheels binding. Those do rust and could be bad enough to cause issues. If you hear grinding from rear going straight and very slow then, this may be a possibility. If it is, relatively easy fix.
      06-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
zipstic
Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog040
What did you find?
      06-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
SaviorXi
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
I wish you the best but there is usually a reason insurance companies total flood cars especially BMW. If I had a dollar for every story I heard about an optimistic naive buyer thinking they were gonna get a steal since the car title was flooded and 6 months later they would rather take the bus due to the nickle and dime costs and headaches that start to accrue and continue to happen over the life of the car post flood. In the end you may have been able to purchase yourself a new M3. I hope you are the one who relishes in the trouble free joys of a good deal with zero problems for all those sad broke fools that came before you.

Maybe you even have my car since Geico totaled it and wrote me a check for $31,000 last July. Floods must be bad if the insurance companies would rather pay it off and auction it rather than repair it. Good Luck to you my friend and I hope you have lots of extra cash put aside because you may need it. If you don't it's gonna look really good sitting in the driveway.
SaviorXi is offline   United_States
      06-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi
I wish you the best but there is usually a reason insurance companies total flood cars especially BMW. If I had a dollar for every story I heard about an optimistic naive buyer thinking they were gonna get a steal since the car title was flooded and 6 months later they would rather take the bus due to the nickle and dime costs and headaches that start to accrue and continue to happen over the life of the car post flood. In the end you may have been able to purchase yourself a new M3. I hope you are the one who relishes in the trouble free joys of a good deal with zero problems for all those sad broke fools that came before you.

Maybe you even have my car since Geico totaled it and wrote me a check for $31,000 last July. Floods must be bad if the insurance companies would rather pay it off and auction it rather than repair it. Good Luck to you my friend and I hope you have lots of extra cash put aside because you may need it. If you don't it's gonna look really good sitting in the driveway.
It might be your car. I broke those 02 sensors too!!!!!
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, LED angel eyes, Blacklines, Carbon fiber spoiler, Ambergones...
Southjersey128 is offline   United_States