E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Bird poo

06-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #45
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post
It has etched your clear coat. Clay bars are fine for removing inbedded contaminates, but you must remove the surrounding clear to the depth of the etch with polish. Be advised, you only have so much clear and you can remove too much.

Personally I'd try something like Meguires Scratch X and be happy to smooth and lessen the mar.
you're not removing the clear to the depth of the etch. you're polishing the etch to a gloss again, and softening the hard ridges surrounding it so it blends in with the rest of the clear.

you'd be removing a crap ton of clear if you were leveling it to the etch every time a bird crapped on your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #46
bimmergrl86
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
I claybar my car every time I wash it. Simple and easy to do.... just don't drop the claybar. But if you do, trash it!
definitely easy .. just takes a bit of time but yes.. i've been told not to drop it haha car is definitely smoother with the claybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post
It has etched your clear coat. Clay bars are fine for removing inbedded contaminates, but you must remove the surrounding clear to the depth of the etch with polish. Be advised, you only have so much clear and you can remove too much.

Personally I'd try something like Meguires Scratch X and be happy to smooth and lessen the mar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
Try picking up Meguairs Ultimate Compound with a MF applicator. Should get it out.
thanks for the suggestions guys.. i'll look into it