E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Regret not buying a 335?



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #89
GTKrockeTT
Private First Class
2
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
anyone who drives a 3 series that is not a 335 wishes they had one, anyone who drives a 335 wishes theyd drive an m3. Lie to yourself all you want you know thats just the way it is
negative, show me a 335 wagon.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #90
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
26
Rep
2,363
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #91
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
anyone who drives a 3 series that is not a 335 wishes they had one, anyone who drives a 335 wishes theyd drive an m3. Lie to yourself all you want you know thats just the way it is
Kinda true. I wish I had an M3. Not a 335 though. Just because it's fast really doesn't mean I should like it more. In fact most of the issues I have with my 325 are still issues on the 335 and I'm not talking about reliability.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #92
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
this means nothing, im about 70k under you and the only major thing i have done that was not covered by a recall or warranty was the turbos and not because i have to, because i WANTED to.

because n54 engines have had hpfp/turbo/injector issues it doesnt mean that the engine wont last as long as any other it just means you're going in knowing those things could go wrong.
True but only 70k mi under me? A lot can happen in 70k mi especially when then end of that 70k is 200k. Also, my 200k mi were not "nice" miles. This car sees redline mutiple times a day and I pretty much drive it every day. Also, I still track it.

There's an article in the N54 section that shows how an N54 was wearing after just 50k miles. The cylinder walls were scored the pistons had blow by past all three rings, the crankshaft was scored, and more. I'm willing to bet my 200k mi N52 looks like that 50k mi N54.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #93
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
50
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
True but only 70k mi under me? A lot can happen in 70k mi especially when then end of that 70k is 200k. Also, my 200k mi were not "nice" miles. This car sees redline mutiple times a day and I pretty much drive it every day. Also, I still track it.

There's an article in the N54 section that shows how an N54 was wearing after just 50k miles. The cylinder walls were scored the pistons had blow by past all three rings, the crankshaft was scored, and more. I'm willing to bet my 200k mi N52 looks like that 50k mi N54.
Force induced will cause faster wear, you cant compare how both cars wear on the inside because the combustion or production of power is not nearly the same. You can only push n/a 3 series so hard and frankly theres not much to push?

Scoring and visual wear doesnt mean much if the car performs, internal wear are just signs of how the car has been driven not its durability or ability.

Like i said at my mileage I've had 0 issues only 1 for which I paid out of pocket that werent wear and tear. So you take the wastegate rattle, the hpfp and the carbon build up that causes injectors and what other general complains are there about n54s? Not really much, n54 engines are nothing but boosted n54s with upgraded internals. Not to mention that all of the above have already been addressed. You all can tell me you love your 325/328/330 but ultimately it is inferior then the 335 in many aspects. Not to knock on them as they are great GREAT cars and they have proven to be reliable but it is absurd to say n54s are any less durable or of lesser quality because the components that make it force induced have come defective. Tell me you rather have your 330 etc over a 335 all you want but truth is if you could you would have those extra ponies under your hood.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #94
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
50
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Kinda true. I wish I had an M3. Not a 335 though. Just because it's fast really doesn't mean I should like it more. In fact most of the issues I have with my 325 are still issues on the 335 and I'm not talking about reliability.
Like I said tell me you wouldnt rather have a 335 all you want but I know for a fact 80% of the people out there wanting more speed would jump to a 335. Really the comparison to an m3 which is a handcrafted vehicle doesnt apply to 335s and specially not to anything inferior but if an m3 owner could have its way with an m6 im sure they would etc. You get the idea
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #95
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
50
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

And for the record we have a 330 in our family so I speak from personal experience and not what ive heard, or myths etc etc. When I get on my 335 I wish nothing from the 330. When I drive the 330 I wish it had the eztra power even at 80k more
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #96
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
e90pilot's Avatar
United_States
42
Rep
2,110
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
Force induced will cause faster wear, you cant compare how both cars wear on the inside because the combustion or production of power is not nearly the same. You can only push n/a 3 series so hard and frankly theres not much to push?

Scoring and visual wear doesnt mean much if the car performs, internal wear are just signs of how the car has been driven not its durability or ability.

Like i said at my mileage I've had 0 issues only 1 for which I paid out of pocket that werent wear and tear. So you take the wastegate rattle, the hpfp and the carbon build up that causes injectors and what other general complains are there about n54s? Not really much, n54 engines are nothing but boosted n54s with upgraded internals. Not to mention that all of the above have already been addressed. You all can tell me you love your 325/328/330 but ultimately it is inferior then the 335 in many aspects. Not to knock on them as they are great GREAT cars and they have proven to be reliable but it is absurd to say n54s are any less durable or of lesser quality because the components that make it force induced have come defective. Tell me you rather have your 330 etc over a 335 all you want but truth is if you could you would have those extra ponies under your hood.
So You say it the N54 is harder on internals but just as durable. So by that fact, it's not going to last as long. The N52 is less powerful and therefore puts less stress on the internals. You also said you had 0 issues but paid for 1 out of pocket? Are you sure it's 0 issues? The turbos and DI system are also important items that have to be considered. You can't really say apart from all the parts that commonly break the N54 is reliable.

There are plenty of N54s out there with no issues but there are also several with lots of issues. I think it's the exception and not the rule. Also, later build N54s do much better than the earlier builds. Ask BMW techs and master techs which cars they think are more reliable and will last longer. I have. I'll give you a hint. It's not N54 powered cars.

And yes I wouldn't mind more power but I don't like n54s or n55s. Not jus because of reliability. I'm not a fan of any turbo engine for that matter. Also, I prefer an M3 over an E62 M6. I'm not really into the M6. Now I do prefer an E60 M5 over the M3. Different strokes for different folks. Just because I'd like more power doesn't mean I'd rather have an N54.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #97
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
manutdas11's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,209
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

iTrader: (0)

No.
__________________
2007 Jet Black E90 328i
Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825249
Instagram: manutd_as
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #98
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
4,597
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
anyone who drives a 3 series that is not a 335 wishes they had one, anyone who drives a 335 wishes theyd drive an m3. Lie to yourself all you want you know thats just the way it is
Don't flatter yourself..I'd go straight for an M3.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #99
OmidHariri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
294
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Fernando Valley

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
anyone who drives a 3 series that is not a 335 wishes they had one, anyone who drives a 335 wishes theyd drive an m3. Lie to yourself all you want you know thats just the way it is
Yes because i drive a 330 and i prefer a 335 over an m3. You are sadly mistaken and full of shit. What does a 335 have that a 330 does not? twin turbos, oh and i cant forget waste gate issues and turbo failure. Those are much better options that owning anything less than a 335.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #100
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
4,597
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Anyways, I don't regret it. The 330 has plenty of speed and the 335 has a laundry list of repairs twice as long as the N52.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #101
Eagle1oh7
Captain
Eagle1oh7's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
715
Posts

 
Drives: '11 328i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chula Vista CA

iTrader: (0)

Man this thread is getting heated LOL! Now, where's another SC thread so we can hear the "trade in for xyz"
__________________
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/Duke Dynamics CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, aFe Stage 2 PRO-R Intake, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #102
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
50
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Don't flatter yourself..I'd go straight for an M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmidHariri View Post
Yes because i drive a 330 and i prefer a 335 over an m3. You are sadly mistaken and full of shit. What does a 335 have that a 330 does not? twin turbos, oh and i cant forget waste gate issues and turbo failure. Those are much better options that owning anything less than a 335.
Lol ok
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #103
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,056
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

The 335 can't put power down in stock form. You can bash all you want I see it on the track all the time. The cooling is anther issue. Stock 325/328/330i do not have cooling issues. The N54/N55 engine is awesome on paper but BMW cheapen out on its parts and everywhere else to maintain margins. The weight is also an issue. Turn off all traction nannies off and go drive it on track - good luck! As a dd, sure it works. For kids to play with HP numbers, sure it works. Is mine bigger than yours, sure it works on paper.

E9x M is a pig. A heavy high power car is not enjoyable to drive. Yeah you'll feel the power but once you enter the curve the power is useless. No way would I buy E9x M and I can afford it. I'd take Cayman S any day all day long.

I track my 330i and have a few mods including LSD. There is no BMW currently on the market that I would replace it with. It is plenty fast, handles very well, relatively light, I can use it as a dd and track car and it costs nothing to maintain. The only BMWs I would consider are E36 M3, E46 M3 and E46 330i ZHP but the E90 330i chassis, steering, balance, engine and even weight is superb.

If they cheapen out on the new M3/4 that will be the end of BMW for enthusiasts. Plenty of them switched to P already. Also, believe it or not, BRZ keeps up nicely with 335i on track at 1/2 cost.

It the end, it all depends what % of performance you are using. Any car will work as a dd, but if you push it most will cry. The 330i asks for more!
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner

Last edited by Smooth 330i; 06-22-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #104
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
50
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
The 335 can't put power down in stock form. You can bash all you want I see it on the track all the time. The cooling is anther issue. Stock 325/328/330i do not have cooling issues. The N54/N55 engine is awesome on paper but BMW cheapen out on its parts and everywhere else to maintain margins. The weight is also an issue. Turn off all traction nannies off and go drive it on track - good luck! As a dd, sure it works. For kids to play with HP numbers, sure it works. Is mine bigger than yours, sure it works on paper.

E9x M is a pig. A heavy high power car is not enjoyable to drive. Yeah you'll feel the power but once you enter the curve the power is useless. No way would I buy E9x M and I can afford it. I'd take Cayman S any day all day long.

I track my 330i and have a few mods including LSD. There is no BMW currently on the market that I would replace it with. It is plenty fast, handles very well, relatively light, I can use it as a dd and track car and it costs nothing to maintain. The only BMWs I would consider are E36 M3, E46 M3 and E46 330i ZHP but the E90 330i chassis, steering, balance, engine and even weight is superb.

If they cheapen out on the new M3/4 that will be the end of BMW for enthusiasts. Plenty of them switched to P already. Also, believe it or not, BRZ keeps up nicely with 335i on track at 1/2 cost.

It the end, it all depends what % of performance you are using. Any car will work as a dd, but if you push it most will cry. The 330i asks for more!

This is an answer i respect, very eloquent and very well put together with some actual facts and reasons for me to believe you actually prefer your car to a 335i.

Like i said i don't bash on n/a 3 series as they are great cars but overally the 335i is a better car in more aspects then just the twin turbos, the whole powertrain is an upgrade from an n52 engine, brakes, suspension, transmission. All AT 328i's come with a GM sourced Transmission , the 335i's have a ZF unit. Dont quote me on it but i think depending on the model they have different standard equipment. Sure you can upgrade brakes and get LSD and go fast mods but by the time you are done dumping money into it you will still have a car that likely wont outperform the n54 platform or will just be able to stay up to par with it.

All n/a guys can say are the wastegates/turbos(which are the same thing) the hpfp, the injectors, the carbon build up most things that are tear and wear of a force inducted car. Or do you think hpfp/turbos etc dont go bad in other boosted cars? Ive owned several and let me tell you dont fool yourself it does, so n52 engines dont have any of these issues? How can they if they dont have any of these same components? BMW has addressed almost any and all factory defects for a reasonable amount of time and in most cases upgraded their units. The turbos, the hpfp are now more reliable and durable then in the past. Plus someone playing around in this platform doesnt wait for 120k to come by and get oem turbos, for the most part these guys upgrade to to RB/VARGAS/VISHNU and upgrade other failing components as well and never get any of these "common" issues again while having a perfectly reliable 500hp track car/DD.

So yea depending on the individual i am sure the 335 is not for anyone, but SOME of you guys are lying to yourself if you tell me you spend 7k trying to make your car faster and wouldnt just rather have the same thing but performance wise much better.

REALIABILITY is the keyword, you keep saying n54s wont last as long or are not as reliable. But other then the shit you hear or see on the forum what else can you say??? Even better, with some exceptions who has actually OWNED(not test drove, not borrowed) i mean OWNED both cars over a long period or time to make such comparisons, because i have. We got guys on the n54 section with cars with over 200k and no issues that have not been properly addressed by BMW, so don't live vicariously thru other peoples experiences and talk from your own please.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #105
Chris_506
From RWD to AWD
Chris_506's Avatar
Costa Rica
50
Rep
2,623
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

iTrader: (13)

hahaha i just noticed this is the N/A forum, no wonder. Im going to start a thread on the n54 section to see who wishes they had an n52 platform.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #106
GTKrockeTT
Private First Class
2
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (1)

Have fun, keep us updated would you?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST