E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Paddle Shifter Retrofit question

06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Private First Class
United_States

Drives: 2006 325i

Paddle Shifter Retrofit question

I did a lot of research and thought I had everything figured out, but as I was talking to a vendor about picking up a retrofit harness kit he informed me that I would also need new MFB.

This is the exact wheel I have in my possession right now:

Shouldn't the MFB on this wheel work fine? I don't see why I would need to replace them but he insisted they would not work.

My current wheel is the stock non-sport/non-paddle wheel if that matters at all. Car is a 2006 325i. Appreciate any insight, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
United_States

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Well, you have a couple things going on there.

Important question is - since I'm not familiar with 06' cars, does your car currently have the console shifter that can go into Drive Sport (DS) where you can shift up & down manually with the shifter? If so, then continue on with my reply. If not, IDK if PS will even work on your car as I have never seen/heard of anyone installing on a car without the DS option.

>>1st off, remove the airbag & look at the wiring inside the wheel. In factory install, the paddle shifter wires run from paddle shifters on each side & plug into the MFB units on each side. The signals from the paddle shifters pass thru the MFB modules, then out thru the MFB wires that plug into the front side clockspring connector. By the looks of that wheel, I would assume that the MFB are correct since the wheel already has the paddle shifters (but you never know). There are (2) types of MFB (1) for PS, (1) for NO PS - difference is the MFB that are not for PS do not have the contacts for the PS wires to plug into - the connector holes are blank.

If you find that the PS wires are plugged in to the MFB modules - you're good to go on that item. If not, you have (2) choices:

#1 Buy the specific MFB that have the same logos on the buttons (there are also different versions that have buttons that control different items) that are for PS

#2 You can make your own wiring jumper harness to bypass the MFB (instructions are on forum - do a Search)

>>After that is taken care of - the wheel you have has the LCI paddles. LCI paddles will NOT work correctly on Pre-LCI cars (such as yours) without modifications to the circuit boards inside the shifters. See following post:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540684

>>And after that - you STILL need the harness that goes from backside of your clockspring in your steering column - TO the console shifter. You can either buy one premade from BMS, or make your own (again there is a thread on how to do this if you Search)

And you thought this was gonna be EZ
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Private First Class
United_States

I went through with this swap today, the paddles are not working. I got harness kit, did the resistor mod, but they're still not working. Triple checked everything, they're definitely connected right. I wonder if the MFBs I have now are not compatible?

Last edited by 7786; 06-23-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
BQ05
Sweden

Drives: F31 320dA PPK 2014

Read post 38-41 of this thread and then check on your car, I think it could be the reason it is not working for you

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600729
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Private First Class
United_States

Thanks! Almost there, I'm using this wiring diagram:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...63&postcount=8

I can wire them both to upshift, and each paddle will upshift.

I can wire them both to downshift, and each paddle will downshift.

But if I wire them like they're mean to be, (right upshift and left downshift), the downshift will work but the upshift will not do anything. I'm stumped.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Private First Class
United_States

Nevermind I rewired it correctly and everything worked fine when I actually took it out on a drive. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
Appreciate 0