E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Embarrasing Question Regarding Auto Box

06-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
DocD
Private First Class

Drives: 330d M-Sport E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
With alpina gearbox flash, it starts in D1 mode rather D2.
And it tells you in which gear are you.

It is so nice to have it and I wish that we could flash any car (d or i) with those gearbox flashes.

The other thing which I noticed was that in auto, transmission shifts so smoothly that you get a feeling of CVT.
Is this starting in 2nd gear an LCI trait, mine always starts in first (though shifts to 2nd within a car length)?
      06-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
Kuroblack
Enlisted Member

Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by deccauk View Post
Not quite.

In an absent minded moment when rolling downhill in neutral at speed (about 50mph), I pushed the stick forward into reverse instead of pulling back into drive. The gearbox made a horrible rattling noise, the engine shut down and a very serious warning message appeared on the idrive indicating gearbox malfunction - consult a BMW dealer urgently.

I truly thought that I might have destroyed the gearbox, but after calming down, I restarted the engine and 2000 miles later, haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Anyone else done this?
I've not been using an auto for that long, so this might sound dumb - but why were you rolling in neutral..?
      06-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
windymissile
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i M Sport

I was thinking that. If I know I'm heading to stationary traffic I will sometimes knock it into N and just roll up. Maybe this is the reason?
      06-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #26
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

That is coasting and coasting is bad driving in manual or auto... keep it in D and use the engine braking and your footbrake to slow the car. Then no chance of knocking into reverse!
      06-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #27
hmi1750
Major

Drives: M135i

In fact, biggest issue with Auto is learning when and how much the gearbox creeps. My wife put the car in reverse and accelerated! Shot backwards! I told her she never needs to accelerate in reverse, just use the brake (unless on a steep hill). And also how to do a hill start without a biting point.... knowing the car has auto-hill hold.
      06-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #28
Markzombie

Drives: 318d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
That is coasting and coasting is bad driving in manual or auto... keep it in D and use the engine braking and your footbrake to slow the car. Then no chance of knocking into reverse!
Doesn't coasting in gear effectively mean you are not using any fuel at all due to momentum through the roadwheels and gearbox keeping the engine going. When coast out of gear then you use fuel to keep the engine going resulting in lower mpg.

I'm assuming people coast out of gear to save fuel ???
      06-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #29
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

You're correct markzombie.

Modern engines will cut off fuel by shutting injectors when on overrun, the car keeps the engine turning by coasting in gear, so you use zero fuel when coasting in gear.

But in neutral the engine needs fuel to idle of course.

So yes coasting in neutral uses infinitely more fuel than coasting in gear which makes it doubly pointless.
      06-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #30
Dan-danGT
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Also my auto sets of in 1st not 2nd. Maybe it's a lci thing, who knows
Dan-danGT is offline   United Kingdom
      06-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
russdx
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG

never once used manual mode or the paddle shifts im to lazy lol
      06-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deccauk View Post
Not quite.

In an absent minded moment when rolling downhill in neutral at speed (about 50mph), I pushed the stick forward into reverse instead of pulling back into drive. The gearbox made a horrible rattling noise, the engine shut down and a very serious warning message appeared on the idrive indicating gearbox malfunction - consult a BMW dealer urgently.

I truly thought that I might have destroyed the gearbox, but after calming down, I restarted the engine and 2000 miles later, haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Anyone else done this?
No because I leave it in D. If your going from D to N a lot, this can lead to premature wear in the gearbox.

Surely you must of had your foot on the brake for it to of allowed you to go into reverse?!
ukbeemerboy is offline   United Kingdom
      06-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #33
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
Also my auto sets of in 1st not 2nd. Maybe it's a lci thing, who knows
All the Auto BMWs I've had (I've had both pre LCI and LCI cars plus E46 cars and they've all pulled away in 2nd normally. They do change to 1st though if on a hill or your heavy with your right foot but not until the car has started moving....
ukbeemerboy is offline   United Kingdom
      07-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #34
Markzombie

Another question......

Since been a learner in my dads Citroen BX ( ) I've had it drilled into me not to ride the clutch and now preach the same.

However, when I'm sat in my car in "D" with the foot brake on am I riding the clutch ?

If sat there for more than a few seconds should I slip her in Neutral ?
      07-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #35
djgandy
Major

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
There is no clutch in an auto instead there is a torque converter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

I think the consensus is that it is worse to clip it into neutral and also completely unnecessary. The torque converter ensures that when you have your foot on the brake there is no extra load on the engine so slipping into neutral will have no effect. You'll probably wear the gearbox out quicker if you keep slipping it out of gear for no reason though. Autos are designed to be automatic. Let them do their job they do it well these days.
      07-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #36
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzombie View Post
Another question......

Since been a learner in my dads Citroen BX ( ) I've had it drilled into me not to ride the clutch and now preach the same.

However, when I'm sat in my car in "D" with the foot brake on am I riding the clutch ?

If sat there for more than a few seconds should I slip her in Neutral ?
I had the same worry initially, but than learnt auto boxes have no clutch instead a torque converter, which I really struggle to understand how a torque converter actually work, but essentially i think its something to do with hydraulic, turbines, and theres actually no mechanical bits are actually wearing against each other like in a manual clutch (I think)....I just leave it in D with foot on the brake, much easier than having to worry about putting it into N and than having to press the brake again to get it back into D .
      07-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #37
Dan-danGT
Lieutenant

That might be we're I'm going wrong, I am heavy footed. I do generally knock it up to 2nd as its a lot nicer to pull of in. But always sets off in 1st for me no matter what gradient
      07-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #38
DocD
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-danGT View Post
That might be we're I'm going wrong, I am heavy footed. I do generally knock it up to 2nd as its a lot nicer to pull of in. But always sets off in 1st for me no matter what gradient
I drive like an old man 99% of the time (pretty close to being one now), always aiming for maximum mpg, but mine still sets off in first, as did my e46 330d. Like yours; the only way mine will start in 2nd is if I use manual selection. Maybe this is down to a software version?

I have driven Mercs that start in 2nd and will actually kick down from a standstill if you give them the boot.
      07-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Dan-danGT
Lieutenant

Mines goes into second only with the paddles, I don't drive slow to be honest. Since remapping my car with dpf of I'm managing around 25-30mpg
      07-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #40
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

This is the first thread I've read about Autos where anyone has suggested that their car starts in 1st when in D. Interesting.

Mine starts in 2nd - to be honest, I think 1st is too harsh and lurchy for a 'D' profile. If I'm in traffic then DS (which uses 1st) would make for uncomfortable going. I'm therefore surprised that older cars do use 1st - unless the gear ratios are different.

I don't drive my car much as I go to work on the train so when I do get behind the wheel I normally use the paddles and drive in manual. I like using the torque to accelerate in high gears, especially 3rd from about 30mph - you get a really nice spread of speed in that gear in the 330d coupled with a nice noise and pretty punchy acceleration! You can't experience that in auto mode.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
      07-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #41
DocD
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
This is the first thread I've read about Autos where anyone has suggested that their car starts in 1st when in D. Interesting.

Mine starts in 2nd - to be honest, I think 1st is too harsh and lurchy for a 'D' profile. If I'm in traffic then DS (which uses 1st) would make for uncomfortable going. I'm therefore surprised that older cars do use 1st - unless the gear ratios are different.

I don't drive my car much as I go to work on the train so when I do get behind the wheel I normally use the paddles and drive in manual. I like using the torque to accelerate in high gears, especially 3rd from about 30mph - you get a really nice spread of speed in that gear in the 330d coupled with a nice noise and pretty punchy acceleration! You can't experience that in auto mode.
Indeed, 2nd would make for an easier smooth start, I have to consciously just touch the throttle to avoid a jerking launch.
      07-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #42
Markzombie

Thanks for the replies chaps.

It goes against all my 'training' to sit with it effectively in gear. I was concerned that the car moves off after releasing the brake and therefor almost driving and braking at the same time.

Interesting read on the wiki link - thanks.
      07-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #43
djgandy
Major

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzombie View Post
Thanks for the replies chaps.

It goes against all my 'training' to sit with it effectively in gear. I was concerned that the car moves off after releasing the brake and therefor almost driving and braking at the same time.

Interesting read on the wiki link - thanks.
That training is for driving a manual though. The car is technically driving and braking at the same time, but the driving force lower than the braking force. The difference is the auto is clutch less so the engine doesn't stall, it just stays at idle.
      07-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #44
zltm089
Major General

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
There is no clutch in an auto instead there is a torque converter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

I think the consensus is that it is worse to clip it into neutral and also completely unnecessary. The torque converter ensures that when you have your foot on the brake there is no extra load on the engine so slipping into neutral will have no effect. You'll probably wear the gearbox out quicker if you keep slipping it out of gear for no reason though. Autos are designed to be automatic. Let them do their job they do it well these days.

I always worried that leaving it in D whilst waiting at he traffic lights would wear the clutch....

So, got into the habit of putting it into N...

But also, if the brakes are really hot....and I leave it in D and have to keep pressing the brake pedal to prevent the car moving, will this not damage my discs?...

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
zltm089 is offline   United Kingdom