E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Driveshaft on its way out?

07-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
scottmmw
Rep

Drives: BMW M135i

Driveshaft on its way out?

Hello all. Currently my 2007 57k 335d m sport is making a knocking noise when i have a quarter turn of right lock on, no more or no less and is relative to the wheel speed. BMW had looked at it and said it is the brake pads and discs all round and they are low but still indicate 7000miles onboard.

Ive since had another technician look at it and he says it is nothing to do with the brakes (my thoughts too) and that it is the drive shaft cv joint.

Has anyone had experience like this before and would you know if a drive shaft is under a warranty item? I didnt think it would be near breaking/wearing after that little mileage.

Thanks, Scott
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
wallsmk2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e91 325i

Maybe the boot has gone and dumped all its juice. I think you can get repair kits? Maybe it's too far gone. Can you jack it up or get it on a ramp, even up on a high kerb to have a look.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
scottmmw
Rep

Yeah, bmw had the car for 3 hours so should of really found that but i will look for myself. Im going back to discuss exactly what they think as my wife dealt with them while i was away working and i think they we're trying the brakes on.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Simply335
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW E90 335d Saloon

Scott, is this knock apearing if stationary or at very low speeds or it is also there if car is moving faster?
if it is a loud single or double knock (clunk) apearing when car is still or moving very slow i would say it could be the steering rack... i would imagine this should be covered under warranty unless bmw prove it suffered mechanical damage (hitting kerb or sth).
hope you will get this fixed painless.
dont forget to let us know about the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
scottmmw
Rep

Thanks, it does not make the noise when stationary. I did think about the rack but its only on a certain lock and does it at low speed and faster speed, its a rotational noise which is relative to the wheel speed.

The car has not suffered any damage and cannot remember hitting any large potholes or the likes.

Personally i think it is more likely to be rack associated rather than shaft or brakes, bmw had the car for 3 hours so should of spotted something from under enough if a boot has split or something like that. Because the car is under warranty i think they are trying to fob me off with just saying its the brakes. Im now trying to get them to put it in writing if it is the brakes and doesnt cure the noise that it will be paid out under investigation warranty claims.
Appreciate 0