E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Code P0101-New MAF Dealer Says Carbon Build Up. Need service in DMV!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #45
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
Called BG, I need to see if the Diesel Injection and Fuel/Air Induction service can both be ran on the 335D. Haven't heard back yet.

Car drove this morning, no SES no limp mode...

Wish I could find a performance shop to take care of this... running out of time.
I haven't been able to find anyone locally of their reps who even has the tools for he diesel induction service (hence my thoughts on the additives). LMK what you find out.

I kind of have to agree with Hoooper for most of this though. (Btw hooper, by DMV he means Delaware MAryland Virginia or DC MD VA). Our DMVs in MD are called MVAs because they want to be special...like snowflakes.

JH, Have you tried reaching out to Clem as of yet?
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #46
acewiza
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
The problem with that is you are basically running that crap through the engine, carbon build-up and all. Doesn't seem too healthy for the rings and valves, not to mention the dpf, cat and everything south of the exhaust manifold.
acewiza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #47
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
The problem with that is you are basically running that crap through the engine, carbon build-up and all. Doesn't seem too healthy for the rings and valves, not to mention the dpf, cat and everything south of the exhaust manifold.
Well if it gets hot enough (2k rpms) who knows. Beats dithering on the Internet while ones car is inoperable.
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #48
Hoooper
Captain
 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

Posts: 930
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Well if it gets hot enough (2k rpms) who knows. Beats dithering on the Internet while ones car is inoperable.
Only way to know is to try. To me, the buildup they were showing looked to be basically all soot, while ours is really oily. Might work even with our really oily buildup, also might not. Personally, with all the stuff I saw in my manifold I really prefer not to blast it all through the engine. If it was all clean right now though, putting a can of that through every 10k miles wouldnt blast too much down the intake and it would obviously be much easier than a full clean.

Although, that doesnt even address the question of whether or not our engines would even run with the everything disconnected after the EGR
Hoooper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #49
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Only way to know is to try. To me, the buildup they were showing looked to be basically all soot, while ours is really oily. Might work even with our really oily buildup, also might not. Personally, with all the stuff I saw in my manifold I really prefer not to blast it all through the engine. If it was all clean right now though, putting a can of that through every 10k miles wouldnt blast too much down the intake and it would obviously be much easier than a full clean.

Although, that doesnt even address the question of whether or not our engines would even run with the everything disconnected after the EGR
Per the product description on IDparts.com it supposedly handles greasy deposits and residue. It also states recommended for preventative use.

IMO..I have yet to see any photos of carbon buildup which would fall outside preventative.

Hell, I'm at 49k moles so I may buy a bottle and try it out when I DIY my next oil change, DEF et al.
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #50
Mark M
Captain
 
Mark M's Avatar
 
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lancaster, PA

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

I'd be quite cautious. Our US exhaust / emissions system is a work of art with complexity.

There are approximately 8 sensors devices in the exhaust tract of our 335d. Pre and post DPF temp sensors, O2 sensor, Pre and Post NOx sensors, SCR metering valve, SCR temp sensor, etc.

Whatever soot / deposits you suddenly jar loose from the engine will now end up gumming up your expensive sensors.

Coming from gasser cars, anytime a silicone product hits an O2 sensor it is shot. I remember way back guys were running different additives or flushes to their engine only to then accidentally kill all 4 O2 sensors.

If it were as simple as running some cleaning agent through the engine, wouldn't BMW do that instead of pulling the head / intake? My cautious gut instinct is that they know an engine flush could prematurely foul the DPF and other emission components. (However I hope I am wrong as it would be an easier cheaper solution to avoid soot buildup)

Just a heads up.
Mark M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #51
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
I'd be quite cautious. Our US exhaust / emissions system is a work of art with complexity.

There are approximately 8 sensors devices in the exhaust tract of our 335d. Pre and post DPF temp sensors, O2 sensor, Pre and Post NOx sensors, SCR metering valve, SCR temp sensor, etc.

Whatever soot / deposits you suddenly jar loose from the engine will now end up gumming up your expensive sensors.

Coming from gasser cars, anytime a silicone product hits an O2 sensor it is shot. I remember way back guys were running different additives or flushes to their engine only to then accidentally kill all 4 O2 sensors.

If it were as simple as running some cleaning agent through the engine, wouldn't BMW do that instead of pulling the head / intake? My cautious gut instinct is that they know an engine flush could prematurely foul the DPF and other emission components. (However I hope I am wrong as it would be an easier cheaper solution to avoid soot buildup)

Just a heads up.
Thanks. Not sure about BMW. They don't always act in the most logical way. BMW allows dealers to sell "injector service". Perhaps it's a brand issue or about $$ (some convoluted way it's cheaper to clean a few heads vs. Running this product through every diesel).
Lubro Moly states this product is dpf safe. All good questions.


Added: per MSDS it's 50-80% acetone and 20-30% 1-ethylpyrrolidin-2-one.

Last edited by Socom; 07-03-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #52
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (4)

Ok, I'll bite. I'll use the 109 and 244 on my next oil change and report back. I'm familiar with 109 from my diesel days and it was a great alternative to Sea Foam (which was eventually rebranded by Mazda and sold as "zoom power engine cleaner") when it came to maintaining compression and defeating carbon buildup in the rear rotor chamber. I'm willing to play guinea pig on that one.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #53
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

BMW Dealer is breaking down the engine on Monday. News to come.
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #54
acewiza
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Added: per MSDS it's 50-80% acetone and 20-30% 1-ethylpyrrolidin-2-one.
Buy a can of acetone and a plant sprayer at Home Depot save yourself some $ on the lubro-moly stuff and have enough to last until the rings and valves are well worn out so it needs torn down and rebuilt anyway.

Then get your wallet out!
acewiza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #55
joe_planet
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
BMW Dealer is breaking down the engine on Monday. News to come.
so what did dealer say?
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #56
335dM
Major
 
Drives: 335d m package
Join Date: May 2011
Location: montreal

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11
Update. BMW dealer said they forgot to "reset the system." cleared the code, again, and said to drive it around for a while.

SES came back on... back to dealer.

Does anyone know what the next step the process would be is P0101 isn't fixed by a new MAF?
New DDE
335dM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Just noticing this comment... DMV is District of Columbia (DC) Maryland and Virginia, not Delaware.


Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I haven't been able to find anyone locally of their reps who even has the tools for he diesel induction service (hence my thoughts on the additives). LMK what you find out.

I kind of have to agree with Hoooper for most of this though. (Btw hooper, by DMV he means Delaware MAryland Virginia or DC MD VA). Our DMVs in MD are called MVAs because they want to be special...like snowflakes.

JH, Have you tried reaching out to Clem as of yet?
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #58
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

BMW will be getting back to me by EOW with an update.
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #59
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
 
335dFan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oregon (near Portland)

Posts: 1,075
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Somebody told me a while back that Circle BMW in NJ would do this service, but I have never explored it further. They are located a bit south of Manhattan/Long Island.
__________________
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
335dFan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #60
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Here is a rundown of the repairs for my D.


Replacing the Valve cover, intake manifold, and the turbo because of all the carbon built up in these components.

Sending head to a machine shop to have them clean out all of the carbon. This whole process will take almost a month.
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #61
joe_planet
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
Here is a rundown of the repairs for my D.


Replacing the Valve cover, intake manifold, and the turbo because of all the carbon built up in these components.

Sending head to a machine shop to have them clean out all of the carbon. This whole process will take almost a month.
Holy moly! They have to replace the turbo? I would think they could rebuild it..
This answers why this is so expensive
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #62
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Total estimated cost, if out of pocket would have been just shy of $10,000!
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #63
kbsilver
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 177
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
Somebody told me a while back that Circle BMW in NJ would do this service, but I have never explored it further. They are located a bit south of Manhattan/Long Island.
Circle has done this for gasoline engines, not diesel. It just seems as the convoluted secondary intake path is hard to get at without removing the head. At least this is my assessment based on not a single example of walnut blasting a diesel with the head on the engine....
kbsilver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #64
joe_planet
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
Total estimated cost, if out of pocket would have been just shy of $10,000!
For 10k i'd push it off a cliff. So what is your financial responsibility?
joe_planet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #65
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 335D
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

zero. No refund for the work already done (MAF and some other bits) but they are taking care of the rest.
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #66
Socom
BMWCCA since '03
 
Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atl.

Posts: 5,268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
zero. No refund for the work already done (MAF and some other bits) but they are taking care of the rest.
Good luck. Let us know what you think of the loaner.
Socom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST