E90Post

MaxcySpeed & Company

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Turbo or Actuactor problem? 2007 BMW 335D

07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 335D stock engine

Exclamation Turbo or Actuactor problem? 2007 BMW 335D

Hi All,

It's weird, my BMW 335D doesn't seem to have the grunt she first had when I got her. From a stand still she seems to take about a second for the turbo's to spool up before she kicks! after 30mph she pulls and pulls very strong.

Maybe I'm expecting too much.. but the response when I put my foot down isn't responsive! Any idea's..?

I have seen similar threads and from what I've read it could be a turbo or actuator problem? Possibly a software update?

I am going to book it in with BMW in a month or so to get the problem investigated. It runs/drives fine, just sailed through a Service and MOT. But in terms of responsiveness, it is lacking!

Note: She has just touched 100k now (so could be an age thing?)

Thanks

Ryan
335DieselPower is offline   England
      07-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Hoooper
Captain

Drives: 335D

Here for the vacuum actuator

also, carbon buildup at 100k if its never been cleaned
      07-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Here for the vacuum actuator

also, carbon buildup at 100k if its never been cleaned
Thank you very much!

Do you have any estimate prices for such repairs? I would rather go to BMW direct but can always ask my local mechanic to carry out the work I guess..
      07-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Hoooper
Captain

which one? the actuator is like a $70 part and maybe 2 hrs work at the dealer, or another shop of your choice. Its a pretty basic job. The carbon buildup could be anywhere from under $1k to over $5k, best bet for that is finding a shop experienced in carbon cleaning that will do it.
      07-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
335DEE
Captain

Drives: 335d

vacuum hoses gone brittle , easy and cheap fix .. check ones going over top of turbo . Replace these first before you spend on new pressure controllers
335DEE is offline   England
      07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
vacuum hoses gone brittle , easy and cheap fix .. check ones going over top of turbo . Replace these first before you spend on new pressure controllers
Thanks a lot!

I will have this changed first
      07-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
which one? the actuator is like a $70 part and maybe 2 hrs work at the dealer, or another shop of your choice. Its a pretty basic job. The carbon buildup could be anywhere from under $1k to over $5k, best bet for that is finding a shop experienced in carbon cleaning that will do it.
Thanks! Hopefully over here in the UK it is slightly cheaper!
      07-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
335DEE
Captain

Won't be carbon building up in Europe, diesel is far superior quality to the stuff in the us.

The terminology gets people muddled too. The actuator is driven by vacuum, the pressure controller controls the amount of vacuum sent to the actuator , it's the pressure controller that fails more readily than the actuator. The actuator itself has been known to seize up. Pressure controllers over here are about 60 quid each I think.
      07-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
joe_planet
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Won't be carbon building up in Europe, diesel is far superior quality to the stuff in the us.

The terminology gets people muddled too. The actuator is driven by vacuum, the pressure controller controls the amount of vacuum sent to the actuator , it's the pressure controller that fails more readily than the actuator. The actuator itself has been known to seize up. Pressure controllers over here are about 60 quid each I think.
And what proof do you have of this?
joe_planet is offline   United_States
      07-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
Hoooper
Captain

im pretty sure soot and oil are the same everywhere in the world. The worst manifold I have seen was off a UK 335D
      07-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
335DEE
Captain

Yes, I agree the manifold gets a crap build up, no denying that, it's an unfortunate byproduct of the egr system. The fuel in the us (except california) has a cetane rating well below that of Europe

All the problems with error codes relating to low mileage cars and coking up are few and far between on at least the UK version of this forum.. And we have many many more 335d's to go wrong.

My car is approaching banger status , 110k miles and nearly 7 years old with no issues regarding coking up. The main issues regarding the fuelling and emissions was to do with the main water stat & EGR stat going weak , not letting the car get hot enough for the regeneration of the DPF which has lead to my DPF getting blocked. This is in the top 3 of issues that all 35d's suffer from

Last edited by 335DEE; 07-04-2013 at 03:33 AM.
      08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Yes, I agree the manifold gets a crap build up, no denying that, it's an unfortunate byproduct of the egr system. The fuel in the us (except california) has a cetane rating well below that of Europe

All the problems with error codes relating to low mileage cars and coking up are few and far between on at least the UK version of this forum.. And we have many many more 335d's to go wrong.

My car is approaching banger status , 110k miles and nearly 7 years old with no issues regarding coking up. The main issues regarding the fuelling and emissions was to do with the main water stat & EGR stat going weak , not letting the car get hot enough for the regeneration of the DPF which has lead to my DPF getting blocked. This is in the top 3 of issues that all 35d's suffer from
Thanks for this,

only solution is too drive longer? harder? or 70mph+ for regularly?
      10-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant

So my 335D has been in the BMW dealership since Tuesday. They said 100 inc VAT for a diagnosis of the fault. Called back on Wednesday to say they couldn't diagnose using the equipment as nothing was being flagged up. They said an extra 145.00 would be required for a further investigation.. (I gave consent) I then got a phone call today stating they have found the fault.. The vacuum hoses were split!

I initially stated this could be the fault as I had done a lot of research. This obviously was not taken notice of. They now want 450 inc VAT. Should the vacuum hoses been inspected in the diagnosis test? I understand this is just electrical equipment, but they said it does not come up on their computer.

To replace the hoses costs 202.00 inc VAT.