E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Computer won't turn on.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
lukasbmw
Mr. Hustle
United_States
7
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ & San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Computer won't turn on.

I just finished a move from Phoenix to San Diego, and since the move, one of my desktops won't power on. Not sure if it got shaken up during the move.

- The Power supply light is green (solid green) when plugged in. So this means it must be getting power right?

- The mother board light illuminates orange (solid orange). This means it must be getting power right?

- I've unplugged the power switch and re-plugged it in. I've jiggled it around. I've held it down for 10 seconds, etc. Nothing works.

- Nothing seems loose. All connections seem to be in place. I took precautions to protect the computer from vibrations during the move. Not sure if the failure is do to the computer getting knocked around on the drive or if it is just a coincidence.

Any suggestions?
__________________

2008 335i COUPE
AA race intercooler/AA downpipes/ESS stage 2/BMS DCI
19" Vossen/M-tec front/shadowline/black grills/V1 radar
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
JuuS
Private
Canada
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Can you hear your HDD spin up when you turn it on? If it just sits silent, check your HDD power cable into the HDD itself. Should be a red, black, yellow molex if memory serves.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
lukasbmw
Mr. Hustle
United_States
7
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ & San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Nope. Can't hear it spin up. Cables are good.

I may try to replace the power supply and go from there. I know they like to fail and I've had this thing for 4 years now.
__________________

2008 335i COUPE
AA race intercooler/AA downpipes/ESS stage 2/BMS DCI
19" Vossen/M-tec front/shadowline/black grills/V1 radar
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
JuuS
Private
Canada
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Check your rom drive. If the door opens/closes then it's not your ps!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
kits135i
Private First Class
4
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: Coming Soon
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (1)

Does the power supply have a switch on the back where you plug power for the voltage? Make sure its set properly to the power of the location. Maybe it got switch to say 220 from 110 when moved. Also if you have a second power siwtch on the power supply, make sure thats clicked

Also something could have gotten bummed loose like memory. Open it up and make sure everthing is seated. Most the time it will just beep in that case, but I have seen some that just will not power on.

Not enough power will cause that as well. Anyone hate you and have access to your machine? Someone could put the CMOS jumper to clear and left it there. If all those are not it, then its always possible it gets anough power to show lights but not enough to power it. Replace power supply.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
ThEnder
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
258
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Check to make sure that your power switch lead is actually connected to the motherboard. If there is no problem there then pull off the lead and short the two pins with a screwdriver or other metal object - if the computer starts then your power button is faulty, if not then you need to start diagnosing components.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
974
Posts

 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Graphics card loose.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
jpsum
Major
jpsum's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area

iTrader: (4)

Surprise no one replied with "get a Mac" bs yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
amanda hor$t
Banned
27
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

iTrader: (0)

that happened to me before, all i got was a constant beep (no image). i think the motherboard was toasted.

and that was the last time i custom-built something (paid a friend to build it)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
lukasbmw
Mr. Hustle
United_States
7
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ & San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuuS View Post
Check your rom drive. If the door opens/closes then it's not your ps!

Thanks! Didn’t think of this! Door won’t open. Looking like power supply is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
Does the power supply have a switch on the back where you plug power for the voltage? Make sure its set properly to the power of the location. Maybe it got switch to say 220 from 110 when moved. Also if you have a second power siwtch on the power supply, make sure thats clicked

Also something could have gotten bummed loose like memory. Open it up and make sure everthing is seated. Most the time it will just beep in that case, but I have seen some that just will not power on.

Not enough power will cause that as well. Anyone hate you and have access to your machine? Someone could put the CMOS jumper to clear and left it there. If all those are not it, then its always possible it gets anough power to show lights but not enough to power it. Replace power supply.
Switch was in the correct location (115). No secondary power switch. Good advice. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
Check to make sure that your power switch lead is actually connected to the motherboard. If there is no problem there then pull off the lead and short the two pins with a screwdriver or other metal object - if the computer starts then your power button is faulty, if not then you need to start diagnosing components.
Tried this and nothing…still looking like power supply,

,,,and actually, the power supply light comes on, but it is weak.

Gonna replace the power supply. Really hope it isn’t the mother board.
__________________

2008 335i COUPE
AA race intercooler/AA downpipes/ESS stage 2/BMS DCI
19" Vossen/M-tec front/shadowline/black grills/V1 radar
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
52
Rep
2,601
Posts

 
Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (12)

You can test your power supply.
I had a similar problem and I ended up replacing the CPU and motherboard. Paid about $65 shipped for both.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
ThEnder
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
258
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasbmw View Post


Tried this and nothing…still looking like power supply,

,,,and actually, the power supply light comes on, but it is weak.

Gonna replace the power supply. Really hope it isn’t the mother board.
I think you are on the right track with the PSU. If motherboard or CPU fails, you will usually at least get a beep or a POST error indicating some sort of fault.

It doesn't hurt to try reseating the memory and add-in cards before replacing the PSU but chances are they are not at fault here.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
lukasbmw
Mr. Hustle
United_States
7
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ & San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Well shit,

Just replaced the power supply and it didn't help. Computer still won't turn on. CD drives still won't open. Still can't hear the harddrive power up.

Tried reseating the graphics card and memory. That didn't do it either.

Thinking its time to just take the damn thing to a computer repair shop. Anyone recommend a good one in San Diego?
__________________

2008 335i COUPE
AA race intercooler/AA downpipes/ESS stage 2/BMS DCI
19" Vossen/M-tec front/shadowline/black grills/V1 radar
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
cloakster
First Lieutenant
Canada
10
Rep
399
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 VW GLI
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasbmw View Post
Well shit,

Just replaced the power supply and it didn't help. Computer still won't turn on. CD drives still won't open. Still can't hear the harddrive power up.

Tried reseating the graphics card and memory. That didn't do it either.

Thinking its time to just take the damn thing to a computer repair shop. Anyone recommend a good one in San Diego?
Sounds like the motherboard.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST