E90Post

Alpine HID

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Throttle Body Size...power gains?

07-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Drives: E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco View Post
Hmm, so it requires some additional machining and fab. Can anyone with a spare TB take it apart and take pictures of the butterfly assembly?
I just did with my phone so theyre not great quality. Idk what tool i would need to take apart the butterfly. ill mess with it tomorrow or something. Let me know if you want me to take some more from any angle
Attached Images

2007 328xi - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - 6MT - AA Stage 2 Tune - BMW PE - Secondary Cats Removed - 3 Stage Intake Manifold - AFe Stage 2 SI Intake - Cyba Scoops - CDV Delete - H&R Sport Springs & RSB - Bilstein Sport Shocks - 335xi Brakes, Black Kidneys - CF Mirror Caps - Custom Gunmetal Powder Coated M-Parallels
      07-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

ok so i took the plastic cover off the gears that connect the electric actuator to the flap. i can just take off the idler gear between them but i cant find a way to remove the gear that is on the same shaft as the flap. i think im just going to get a little violent with it and see if nothing breaks. its not really worth much anyways. ive never heard of anyone's going bad and needing a replacement
2007 328xi - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - 6MT - AA Stage 2 Tune - BMW PE - Secondary Cats Removed - 3 Stage Intake Manifold - AFe Stage 2 SI Intake - Cyba Scoops - CDV Delete - H&R Sport Springs & RSB - Bilstein Sport Shocks - 335xi Brakes, Black Kidneys - CF Mirror Caps - Custom Gunmetal Powder Coated M-Parallels
      07-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
cuco
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 328i //Sport Package//

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thats a weird looking TB, lol. Can you take pics of the harness plug and the side of the TB showing the shaft that holds the butterfly? Update: take pics of the gears! Thanks.

I found this thread were a guy measured the ID of the TB vs. the ID of the intake manifold inlet part that connects to the TB. The TB is ~77mm and the intake inlet is ~79mm. This means the intake could make good use of a 79mm TB.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819355
      07-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Pictures of the gears
Attached Images

07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
cuco
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Nice! Looks like the butterfly is plastic with a metal core. I'm wondering if it snaps on/off the shaft.
      07-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
mapleridge
Banned

Drives: E90 N52 AT

Jokers_greg just brought to my attention that the TB between the 330i and the 328i are different. Anybody compare the two?
      07-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
Surly73
Captain

Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDemetris View Post
Actually that is not necessary in our cars since the tb is open all the time. we dont need the plate at all in reality. but for every other car that isnt a n52/n55, yes that would have to be done
As I read through this whole thread I was thinking ^this^.

Valvetronic means the t-body is there only to build initial vacuum and as a failsafe for Valvetronic failure. I'd be pretty skeptical that BMW would have undersized an open-all-the-time throttle body to create a restriction.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
      07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
cuco
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Jokers_greg just brought to my attention that the TB between the 330i and the 328i are different. Anybody compare the two?
yeah, from what I've read on other posts, the plug is different and the buttefly on the 330 is the traditional design (metal plate with screws).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
As I read through this whole thread I was thinking ^this^.

Valvetronic means the t-body is there only to build initial vacuum and as a failsafe for Valvetronic failure. I'd be pretty skeptical that BMW would have undersized an open-all-the-time throttle body to create a restriction.
I don't think it's undersized, I think it's the size BMW agreed would be correct for the amount of CFM the engine is able to handle in stock form.

I've also read that the butterlfy works as a failsafe for valvetronic failure. So in theory, a 328 stock TB can be bored a couple of mm's bigger without having to modify the buttefly diameter. My concern is, how will it work if there's valvetronic failure?
      07-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #31
mapleridge
Banned

Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
yeah, from what I've read on other posts, the plug is different and the buttefly on the 330 is the traditional design (metal plate with screws).
Did you read anything about the diameter?
      07-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #32
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

maybe the reason dinan only has the TB listed under the 330 is because its the only one that the plate easily comes off of b/c it screws on as someone said. Just a though
      07-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #33
cuco
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Did you read anything about the diameter?
Yeah it's also 76mm, same as ours.

Quote:
maybe the reason dinan only has the TB listed under the 330 is because its the only one that the plate easily comes off of b/c it screws on as someone said. Just a though
+1

Hey did you have any luck removing the shaft and butterfly? I was thinking that maybe the shaft and gear would slide off after removing the butterfly.
      07-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Quote:
Hey did you have any luck removing the shaft and butterfly? I was thinking that maybe the shaft and gear would slide off after removing the butterfly.
I pretty much put all my weight (like 200lbs) on either side of the butterfly, hoping it would snap off the shaft. I think the flap is a thin sheet of steel ( you can kind of see it in the holes in the black plastic) that has 3 pairs of little tabs that were CNC welded onto the central shaft. It would be a real PITA to get that off. It would be possible to grind the tabs off, bore out the TB then weld the flap back on.. Or i suppose if you're feeling really bold you could just cut it off and leave it like that.
      07-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
cuco
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I pretty much put all my weight (like 200lbs) on either side of the butterfly, hoping it would snap off the shaft. I think the flap is a thin sheet of steel ( you can kind of see it in the holes in the black plastic) that has 3 pairs of little tabs that were CNC welded onto the central shaft. It would be a real PITA to get that off. It would be possible to grind the tabs off, bore out the TB then weld the flap back on.. Or i suppose if you're feeling really bold you could just cut it off and leave it like that.
I did notice that the shaft itself is pretty beefy with the tabs, also the back portion of the flap has a rib structure that makes the whole butterfly assembly beefier than a traditional butterfly assembly. All of that translates to less air volume passing through the TB.
      07-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
andrey_gta
Colonel

Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
reference to Dinan TB
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=dinan+intake

take not how the casing looks different, no clips & how flap is attached

My 128i's flap was metal, not the plastic style

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada